Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default How can I tell if I have a hole in a hose

Hi,

Still have the problem with the EML on code P0455-5A which someone on here said I have a big leak in one of the hose's. I have looked all over for this how can I tell, do I just use soap and water looking for air bubbles? also anyone know which hose it could be.

Thanks

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : 1.9 cdti

Engine : 150 Z19DTH

Year : 08

Quote Originally Posted by vectra 120 View Post
    Hi,

Still have the problem with the EML on code P0455-5A which someone on here said I have a big leak in one of the hose's. I have looked all over for this how can I tell, do I just use soap and water looking for air bubbles? also anyone know which hose it could be.

Thanks

Steve
    I will suppose it's the big turbo hose you need to check if engine is losing speed and EML comes on. See pix. Bear in mind that your turbo hose might be to the left hand side depending on engine.

To check for leak using the soap and water method will require the engine to be started cos you the air that will pass thru to see the bubble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the reply. no loss of engine speed, car performing very well at the minute.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Maybe a similar test to this will help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1fTSP8VHvA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks will do

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak).

Just had a google to see what it is and found these snippits:

"A code p0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:
    * A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
    * A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
    * Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system

Possible Solutions
    With a p0455, the most common repair is to:
    * Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
    * Otherwise, replace the gas cap, and/or
    * Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses (you may hear a vacuum noise or smell fuel), repair if necessary"
    __________________________________________________ ______

"After several weeks of intermittend codes or P0455, suddenly I could no longer fill the gas tank easily. I had to let gas trickle in.

Dealer mechanic said fuel tank would not pressure test so they replaced my locking gas cap that I used for three years, then it pressure tested okay."

So by the sounds of it it's to do with the pressure escaping from the fuel tank by an ill fitting petrol cap or there could be a seal leak on the fuel tank or fuel line.

Have you noticed the smell of fuel or puddles of fuel? If not then double check your filler cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Innes View Post
    P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak).

Just had a google to see what it is and found these snippits:

"A code p0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:
    * A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
    * A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
    * Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system

Possible Solutions
    With a p0455, the most common repair is to:
    * Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
    * Otherwise, replace the gas cap, and/or
    * Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses (you may hear a vacuum noise or smell fuel), repair if necessary"
    __________________________________________________ ______

"After several weeks of intermittend codes or P0455, suddenly I could no longer fill the gas tank easily. I had to let gas trickle in.

Dealer mechanic said fuel tank would not pressure test so they replaced my locking gas cap that I used for three years, then it pressure tested okay."

So by the sounds of it it's to do with the pressure escaping from the fuel tank by an ill fitting petrol cap or there could be a seal leak on the fuel tank or fuel line.

Have you noticed the smell of fuel or puddles of fuel? If not then double check your filler cap.
    No smell of fuel the only thing is when I have the engine running and I stand at the front of the car a think I can hear air coming from the top left of the car.

or had the front pipe replaced about 2 month the EML was on because the flex pipe was split so they replaced it. If they have not fixed the pipe into the engine would this give off the same code. (they clamped the new to the old )

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What are the symptoms you are experiencing? low MPG? Lack of power? Also what engine do you have?

I have had to replace my turbo to inter-cooler pipe and inter-cooler to inlet manifold due to split in the pipes. The first crack was difficult to see unless I squeezed the pipe and worked my way around it and up and down. The 2nd split was alot easier to find as it sounded like I had a very angry snake under the bonnet especially when I put my foot down. In both incidences I never got the EML light or Spanner light or any error codes. I replaced the first hose with a silicone one off ebay for £65 and the 2nd hose I made myself (sse this thread: http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116528 ).

Other pipes to check would be vacuum pipes. The rubber connectors can split and can be very difficult to see. Most people have replaced the old vacuum pipes with silcone ones. I did my 2.2dti ( http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115759 ). If you have the 1.9cdti then you would need 4mm instead of 2mm and only 1 meter of pipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Innes View Post
    What are the symptoms you are experiencing? low MPG? Lack of power? Also what engine do you have?

I have had to replace my turbo to inter-cooler pipe and inter-cooler to inlet manifold due to split in the pipes. The first crack was difficult to see unless I squeezed the pipe and worked my way around it and up and down. The 2nd split was alot easier to find as it sounded like I had a very angry snake under the bonnet especially when I put my foot down. In both incidences I never got the EML light or Spanner light or any error codes. I replaced the first hose with a silicone one off ebay for £65 and the 2nd hose I made myself (sse this thread: http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116528 ).

Other pipes to check would be vacuum pipes. The rubber connectors can split and can be very difficult to see. Most people have replaced the old vacuum pipes with silcone ones. I did my 2.2dti ( http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115759 ). If you have the 1.9cdti then you would need 4mm instead of 2mm and only 1 meter of pipe.
    I have a1.9cdti sxi 8v no loss of power I would say low MPG just need to get the EML off as I clear it the spanner light comes on then after about 10 mins the EML on all the time. The car drives fine pulls good some black smoke but not much. Think I will try and get the car on the ramps and get someone else to check the front pipe out. Done the vacuum pipes on my car

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by vectra 120 View Post
    I have a1.9cdti sxi 8v no loss of power I would say low MPG just need to get the EML off as I clear it the spanner light comes on then after about 10 mins the EML on all the time. The car drives fine pulls good some black smoke but not much. Think I will try and get the car on the ramps and get someone else to check the front pipe out. Done the vacuum pipes on my car

Steve
    Might also be woth checking there isnt a leak in the intercooler - i seem to remember seeing a few threads recently regarding leaky intercoolers causing the same sort of issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information