Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Car Tax madness

I would have posted about this on Monday only the forum was down. I bought my 2008 Vectra last week and picked it up on Monday of this week. Now I work, so could not pick the car up until about 5.30pm. The Vectra was not taxed, and the DVLNI offices close at 4pm, so by the time I had finalised the purchase and therefore had the log book (needed to actually re-register and tax the car) I could not tax it that day. On my way home I ran into a road block being operated by the police with a DVLNI car tax patrol van. I was pulled over by the police who told me to drive over to the DVLNI van. Despite explaining that I had just bought the car (and showing them the documents to prove it), they were going to clamp the car. Now this was just beside a really bad 'council' estate and on a main road during the later stages of rush hour. If I had let hem clamp the car, I have no doubt that it would have been vandalised before I could have taxed it and paid any fine the next day to get it released. Given this and how ****** unreasonable this was, I drove off before they could clamp the car.

Now 4 days later I still have heard nothing. True at the time the car was not registered in my name, but just as I had always intended to, I taxed and registered the car in my name the very next morning (I actually was waiting outside the DVLNI office in Ballymena at its opening time). I am still nervous that some trouble will come from this, but there was no way I was going to have may car immobilised in that location, especially as I am not a car tax dodger and when taxed it is essentially taxed back to the beginning of August. Are the police/officials no longer capable of using common sense and discretion?

To make it worse both the police and the DVLNI were actually breaking the law. The DVLNI had parked their van on the footpath completely blocking it and the police had parked their Vectra blocking the outer lane of the road during clear way! The police my act as if they are above the law, but they are not.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Lada

Trim : Riva

Engine : 6.0 V12

Year : 1954

You drove off from a road block????? Good lord, do the PSNI not still carry firearms?
    On a separate not road tax is getting to be as big a farce as it gets. Car tax and its "environmental" overtones are just bull ****! £440 for the highest "polluters" even thought by being the highest polluters with the lowest mpg means they pay far more in tax at the petrol pumps in the first place. Get rid of road tax(its no longer a tax for using the roads) and put 5p a lt on petrol at the pumps then people who do high mileages pay more than those who do a few thousand every year, and on the up side everyone has to pay, no way round it.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes the PSNI still have guns, but I had obeyed the police. All they ordered me to do was to drive over to the DVLNI van and talk to them. I did that. I just chose not to cooperate with someone who was merely a civil servant when he told me that he was going to clamp my car. The DVLNI van was actually about 50 yeards beyond the police road block.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

failing to stop is a criminal offence - now i appreciate that you HAD stopped - but as you then drove away whilst being spoken to by the police /DVLNI in the course of their investigation because you were unhappy with their decision to clamp your vehicle is no excuse.

the fact that the car was untaxed is an absolute offence - there is no excuse - what if you had been involved in an accident on the way home ? your insurance would have been null and void = if you knew the car was untaxed you should have left it and collected it WHEN you HAD the tax - or got the person/garage you bought it from to tax it and paid the extra..

i would not be suprised if you are indeed visited/ or invited to attend a station by the police and interviewed and reported for the consideration of prosecution for any offences that you may have comitted in Ireland (no tax.... failing to stop - technically no insurance as well as your insurance would be voided)

if it had been me i wouldnt have collected it knowing there was no tax - its sods law that this would happen on the way home .... and i wouldnt want to get caught out - it would have been taxed first then collected ...

then again hindsights a wonderful thing

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes Deztroyer, all technically true except about the insurance. This became an issue a few years ago in N.Irealnd because the MOT system went into melt down meaning loads of drivers could not MOT (and therefore Tax) their cars through no fault of their own. The insurance companies all stated that tax and MOT were not an issue as long as the car was physically safe to be on the road. The garage could not tax the car, you can't tax a car without having an insurance certificate, and the car was only insured from the time I was due to collect it. Again I do not dispute that technically I was commiting an offense, but again the laws are designed to stop people who have no intention of taxing their vehicles, not people caught in the ackward inbetween of changing a car during the hours that the DVLNI do not offer a service. I also object to the police wasting resources and causing major congestion by breaking clear way doing this.

If I am prosecuted I will almost welcome my chance to have a day in court. Also if they take me to court I will make sure they are tried in the court of the public media. ****** rediculous. Also again I would not have driven away from the police. As far as I am concerned a civilian civil servant as no power to detain me.
    Last edited by WilliamLX; 27th August 2010 at 10:51.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't think you wil hear anything, well I hope you don't, they can do you for failing to display a current disc. I hope all goes well for you.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamLX View Post
    Yes Deztroyer, all technically true except about the insurance. This became an issue a few years ago in N.Irealnd because the MOT system went into melt down meaning loads of drivers could not MOT (and therefore Tax) their cars through no fault of their own. The insurance companies all stated that tax and MOT were not an issue as long as the car was physically safe to be on the road. The garage could not tax the car, you can't tax a car without having an insurance certificate, and the car was only insured from the time I was due to collect it. Again I do not dispute that technically I was commiting an offense, but again the laws are designed to stop people who have no intention of taxing their vehicles, not people caught in the ackward inbetween of changing a car during the hours that the DVLNI do not offer a service. I also object to the police wasting resources and causing major congestion by breaking clear way doing this.

If I am prosecuted I will almost welcome my chance to have a day in court. Also if they take me to court I will make sure they are tried in the court of the public media. ****** rediculous. Also again I would not have driven away from the police. As far as I am concerned a civilian civil servant as no power to detain me.
    If you go to court you will get slaughtered - you were driving an untaxed vehicle, then you drove off

what possible excuse can you have to justify that?

" Now I work, so could not pick the car up until about 5.30pm. The Vectra was not taxed, and the DVLNI offices close at 4pm, so by the time I had finalised the purchase and therefore had the log book (needed to actually re-register and tax the car) I could not tax it that day" - well thats simple enough,leave the car at the garage until you have all the documents and can tax it and as for driving off ,thats probably an offence aswell

good luck with that one

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Lada

Trim : Riva

Engine : 6.0 V12

Year : 1954

Quote Originally Posted by CLOMP View Post
    they can do you for failing to display a current disc.
    I would have thought thats what they could do you for, regardless of your intentions. Even if you are in possession of a valid tax disc, its still an offence not to display it. If you had driven off from a police/dvla road check over here they would have pursued you and defiantly taken your car off the road. Did they not give you the opportunity to pay for one there and then? Im sure thats an option ,over here, that applys during these stop checks.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW 525i

Trim : SE Touring

Engine : 3.0

Year : 2007

If they were that bothered you'd have had a visit from a pair of lovely PSNI arfficers by now ....

... they know where you live, wee man

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Handyandy-UK View Post
    If they were that bothered you'd have had a visit from a pair of lovely PSNI arfficers by now ....

... they know where you live, wee man
    it will take 14 days minimum for the vehicles records to be updated as the new keeper - so at present -they DONT know where he lives - but i would imagine they will fairly soon

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information