User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Problem free France trip!! Should I go next year?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Problem free France trip!! Should I go next year?

Well have just returned from yearly jaunt to France and I have to say I am still impressed with the vectra as a capable cruiser. Drove about 1500 miles in total and the car was absolutely fine except for the gear knob coming loose again (sorted with rubber mallet and a good welly!!). The car has 63k on now and has it's fair share of problems including the dreaded inlet manifold. Despite it's history I still enjoy owning and driving it and it still turns heads in France believe it or not!! Not many of them around. Wondering if I should do it all again next year.....anyone any suggestions for South West/ Bordeaux area??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I go every year, each year somewhere different. When we did the southwest we found Bordeaux region a bit boring compared to other places we've been to. It improves a bit more a touch further on towards Biarritz.

This year it was about 20 miles north of Montpellier (crossing the Millau viaduct for the first time) liked it. Also done Provence (Mt Ventoux area), Limoges (boring) Cannes and Monte Carlo, (spectacular) Chamonix (favorite) Normandy (boring unless you're a warophobe), Brittany (average), Pyrennees and Andorra (super). Next year doing a spot halfway between Carcassonne and Beziers. Good for mountains, history, seaside and weather.

When travelling right to the southern areas we normally take the tunnel and then stay 3 nights on the way down: stay for a week, and then, 3 nights on the way back. No more than 4 hours driving per day gives you a chance for interesting detours and getting off the toll roads. Nice

Problem in the last few years has been the sharp rise in costs. Going back 5 or 6 years we were spending less than half the money on fuel. (1.45 euro to the pound and fuel @ 90 cents a litre).
    Last edited by floppus; 26th August 2010 at 15:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Christ!! That's some trip mate!! You must have a tourer or tent yeh? We have to hire a mobile home so can only do weeks at a time. Is there one resort in particular you would recommend. The ones we look for are quite lively with good pools and slides and night time entertainment. We have 2 kids 9 and 6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra VXR, VW Tiguan R-line Tech, Vivaro.

Trim : Nav

Engine : Various

Year : 1 A.D

Mileage : Rising

I'm off friday night but having a weeks fishing and not touring/sightseeing.
    Why not get the ferry to Santander and drive into Spain and have a good nosey.

Have consideration for the deaf, if you're gunna fart, make it smell !

North Wingfield, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Hatchback Facelift

Trim : Club

Engine : Z18XE

Year : 2005

Mileage : 100085

Quote Originally Posted by marky2027 View Post
    Well have just returned from yearly jaunt to France and I have to say I am still impressed with the vectra as a capable cruiser. Drove about 1500 miles in total and the car was absolutely fine except for the gear knob coming loose again (sorted with rubber mallet and a good welly!!). The car has 63k on now and has it's fair share of problems including the dreaded inlet manifold. Despite it's history I still enjoy owning and driving it and it still turns heads in France believe it or not!! Not many of them around. Wondering if I should do it all again next year.....anyone any suggestions for South West/ Bordeaux area??
    These comments echo our experience of a French holiday to Saintes, in 2008.

We drove our 55 reg Facelift Vectra C with the Z18XE non VVT engine starting with a Full Tank supermarket standard unleaded petrol from the Chesterfield Area to friends near Bromley staying overnight with them and continuing in convoy with them driving their Mondeo 2.0 Petrol Ghia to Saintes via the shuttle...

Weather was poor generally but I enjoyed the experience.

Car Average over 40mpg over the 1700 odd miles of driving.. top-up to top-up...

Used toll roads so it increased the cost... but really enjoyed it.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by FIL 4822 View Post
    I'm off friday night but having a weeks fishing and not touring/sightseeing.
    Why not get the ferry to Santander and drive into Spain and have a good nosey.
    Have thought about that but we really like France and the ferry costs loads compared to our usual crossing and not really struck on spending hours at sea

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Current crossing via eurotunnel for next June /July year starts at £98 return for car and passengers. Shall be booking in the next few days. Doing it this way saving over £140 for crossing plus average cottage plus agents insurance by doing it myself. Cost thru' well known 'cottage' site £900.... self booking £740. (this for up to 6 people in cottage with pool , aircon, big comfortable lounge with sky tv and wifi, large outdoor space, all luxuries you can think of).

Thread Information