Thread: Water pump?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Water pump?

Posted this just before the forums went down.

I am getting a small drip (of what I think is water) from the engine bay. Dont where it originates from but it appears at the fronyt drivers side anti roll bar mount and drips onto the drive. I can get a saucer size mark in 3-4 hours. ditchp (thanks for the reply) suggested it might be condensation from the air conditioning and if that is the case I am not that bothered but I just wanted to check if there was anything more sinister afoot.Wondered if it was the water pump cos there are no signs of water at the top of the engine and it appears even if it hasnt been raining.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Toyota

Trim : Yaris Hybrid

Engine : 1.5 Hybrid

Year : 2021

Mileage : 5525

I can only suggest to eliminate the aircon .is to drive with it off for a while ...if you still have the same drip then it could be waterpump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

as per DitchP's repsonse - i too would have thought that amount would have been the AC = when the wet weather FINALLY stops take the car for a drive and ensure that the AC is off - then repeat your normal process to see if the spot is there again

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

North Wingfield, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Hatchback Facelift

Trim : Club

Engine : Z18XE

Year : 2005

Mileage : 100085

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Posted this just before the forums went down.

I am getting a small drip (of what I think is water) from the engine bay. Dont where it originates from but it appears at the fronyt drivers side anti roll bar mount and drips onto the drive. I can get a saucer size mark in 3-4 hours. ditchp (thanks for the reply) suggested it might be condensation from the air conditioning and if that is the case I am not that bothered but I just wanted to check if there was anything more sinister afoot.Wondered if it was the water pump cos there are no signs of water at the top of the engine and it appears even if it hasnt been raining.
    Hi Tigger, it may be the thermostat...eg....

My nephew's 54 reg Zafira 1.8 with the Z18XE engine started to 'lose' water very, very slowly & barely noticeable from the coolant header tank.

Then one day after a week or two I noticed a patch of damp under the engine bay to the offside at the drive belt end of the engine, which should have evaporated as the car had been stood for a day or so.

Thought it was thin oil initially perhaps hydraulic oil, but rubbed my finger in it & smelt it..it was'nt any kind of oil.
    Concluded it mut be coolant....but where from?

Water Pump unlikely as it had had that changed a while before along with a cam-belt kit.

Couldn't see where it was coming from with the limited access in & around the top of the engine bay - coolant hoses seemed OK.

A mate who services the car checked underneath - turned out to be a leak from the Thermostat housing...It was changed & topped up the longlife anti-freeze....problem solved.

Hope it helps..

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers Tony - will check that tomorrow.

I changed the thermostat a couple of months ago but have only just noticed the drip. Hopefully it isnt the cause. Still like the thought that this is condensate from the air con.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I doubt it's the thermostat, as this is on the passengers side of the engine on a the 1.9 cdti's. It's either as you suspect the water pump seals, possibly condensing air con water, this can drip alot of water which is normal or maybe the water hose that runs off the back of the water pump. Sadly its not easy to much of whats going on in there without stripping the timingbelt cover off, which neccesatites supporting the engine and removing the offside engine mounting. Does the water level in the expansion bottle drop?, if it doesn't then its not engine coolant.

Thread Information