Having read all the horror stories on the 1.9 CDTi 150 EGR valve, I am currently running my EDS remap with the EGR disabled. I do understand the EGT run a little higher, but the function of the EGR is well proven to cause problems and component failure.
I tend to cover 7.5k a year and most of it urban, the car does regularly get a spirited drive to help clear the cobwebs. My car has just over 15k from new and I thought it would be interesting to see the condition of the EGR at this early stage in its life. I had the FIAT gaskets to fit in replacement of the originals incase I decide in the future to run the EGR valve.
I was quite surprised how much sooty sludge had built up and can easily understand that future problems are sure to arise. I took some pics of the EGR before and after cleaning..........

Before............

and After........

It is also quite evident that the oil breather is responsible for turning the soot from the exhaust gases into more of a sludgy paste, as the pipe that supplies the exhaust gases is not so bad, only having a slight sooty coating like an exhaust pipe. Only once you get to the EGR valve and the inlet manifold is the sludgey soot present.