Thread: Spark Plugs - Cheapo's or not

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Spark Plugs - Cheapo's or not

Just a bit of advice needed really.. I have a 2.2 Direct petrol .. Do I just buy cheapo ngk recommended spark plugs, or are those iridium ones so much better and really worth it? Multi electrode or single electrode? whats better? What do you put in yours? Are all plugs suitable (especially the multi electrode) going to be gap set out of the box? Should I buy specific plugs to satisfy temp range or anything (I really am a DIY mechanic numpty, but Im going to try, lol)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

Just normal single electrode NGK's. Used expensive ones years ago and could not find any difference, except to your wallet.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

The Direct comes with 4 electrode as standard. I cant call your plugs but stock factory plugs for the none direct 2.2 seam to work out to be the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks a lot, as I thought, iridium wot nots dont represent vaule nor significant gains then.. So I think Im going to probably be getting either NGK BKR5EQUPA or BKR5EQUB .. Should be alright changing 'em, Ive got one of them long socket doobries for spark plugs from way back (about 15 years ago) when I last changed plugs on a car, lol..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

How many miles has it done? They don't need changing until 80,000 miles or 8 yrs.

Vauxhall "own brand" plugs are fine, and as cheap as chips.

You shouldn't attempt to regap multi-electrode plugs. All gaps come preset anyway.

North Wingfield, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Hatchback Facelift

Trim : Club

Engine : Z18XE

Year : 2005

Mileage : 100085

Quote Originally Posted by nibblitz View Post
    Thanks a lot, as I thought, iridium wot nots dont represent vaule nor significant gains then.. So I think Im going to probably be getting either NGK BKR5EQUPA or BKR5EQUB .. Should be alright changing 'em, Ive got one of them long socket doobries for spark plugs from way back (about 15 years ago) when I last changed plugs on a car, lol..
    Replaced the standard VX plug (Bosch & fitted from new) last year at 4 years & 37K miles on our 55 reg Facelift Club with the Z18XE engine....

......with NGK BKR5EQUPA(Long Life - 8 years) quad electrode plugs & more expensive than the 'standard life - 4 years ' NGK quad BKR5EQUB plugs, as I work part time for a local motor factors & we stock NGK Plugs

These are the NGK replacement for the VX (Bosch references in the Vectra C handbook we got with the car - 4 year life or 8 year life plugs covered) The 1.8 VVT plugs are different....

Didn't expect a noticeable improvement in performance - went for longevity....

Interestingly, for my nephew's 54 reg Zafira with the Z18XE engine the NGK plug reference was BKR5E. It seems to run fine with these..

I checked the NGK catalogue @ work & also the NGK web site for cross referencing to be sure before buying them...

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0cdti 160bhp

Year : 2010

Mileage : 92274

Quote Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
    Replaced the standard VX plug (Bosch & fitted from new) last year at 4 years & 37K miles on our 55 reg Facelift Club with the Z18XE engine....

......with NGK BKR5EQUPA(Long Life - 8 years) quad electrode plugs & more expensive than the 'standard life - 4 years ' NGK quad BKR5EQUB plugs, as I work part time for a local motor factors & we stock NGK Plugs

These are the NGK replacement for the VX (Bosch references in the Vectra C handbook we got with the car - 4 year life or 8 year life plugs covered) The 1.8 VVT plugs are different....

Didn't expect a noticeable improvement in performance - went for longevity....

Interestingly, for my nephew's 54 reg Zafira with the Z18XE engine the NGK plug reference was BKR5E. It seems to run fine with these..

I checked the NGK catalogue @ work & also the NGK web site for cross referencing to be sure before buying them...

Cheers
    i would not fit ngk plugs into a vauxhall unless they were factory fitted,the heat range on the ngk plug is wrong,the correct heat range is actualy in between bkr5ek and bkr6ek (bkr5e and bkr6e on later cars),i also have seen several engine faliures because of ngk plugs on vauxhalls,in one case the centre electrode fell out causing some engine damage,i used to work for a vauxhall main dealer and from experiences working there i will only fit ngk plugs to my motorbike

North Wingfield, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Hatchback Facelift

Trim : Club

Engine : Z18XE

Year : 2005

Mileage : 100085

Quote Originally Posted by solorider View Post
    i would not fit ngk plugs into a vauxhall unless they were factory fitted,the heat range on the ngk plug is wrong,the correct heat range is actualy in between bkr5ek and bkr6ek (bkr5e and bkr6e on later cars),i also have seen several engine faliures because of ngk plugs on vauxhalls,in one case the centre electrode fell out causing some engine damage,i used to work for a vauxhall main dealer and from experiences working there i will only fit ngk plugs to my motorbike
    No probs so far....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

I always used to fit the Bosch 4 electrode plugs, the sharknose BMW's, Toyots Celicas etc I had back then seemed to run smoother on them, never had any starting problems either.
    Fitted a set to a Rover 623 GSi I owned briefly and the onwers club went nuts, said the same about Bosch and Rover's as Solorider says about NGK and Vauxhall.
    In the days I was running £200-500 cars I could afford to try it and see, don't fancy blowing up this one, not even the glow plugs lol

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Buy the ones from the dealers, they're cheap as anyone elses. £15 i paid for my set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information