Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vectra C - CIM Module

Howdie,

I was wondering if i could have some feedback on an ongoing problem i have had with my Vectra C since i bought it.

I have owned a Vauxhall of sorts since 2000 and overall I have been a happy customer.

However, on my most recent Vauxhall, a Vectra C, it seems to have a fault on the electrical system which keeps reoccurring at sporadic intervals.

When I purchased the Vectra (Baylis, Hereford) before collection of the car it was noticed that when the lights were on, the alarm did not sound when the driver’s door was opened. This was fix by them under warranty and explained that it was the CIM module which caused the problem. This was in November 2007 when I purchased the Car.

Initially the car ran fine. After about ** months, the lights and dials on the dashboard started to become randomly erratic, and the cruise control at times would not engage.

I had moved to the Salisbury area by this point and took it to their garage. At first they could not recreate the fault as it tended to clear when the key was removed and the car restarted. Eventually it happened when I was close by, and I was able to let their manager see the fault first hand.

The car was still under warranty at this point, and the CIM module was again replaced.

In a little of ** the same problem with the dashboard happened again. I had moved to Blandford Forum, and took the car to Seawards Vauxhall where they took a look at the car. They could not recreate the fault, but I believe they reset something on the cars electronics.

I spoke to the manager stressing that this was an on-going issue, which had previously been dealt with under warranty, but the warranty on my car was due to expire.

The problem has again reoccurred. Initially with the lights and the dials becoming erratic, and finally totally disabling the car so it would not even start.

It has been to Seawards, Blandford and again the CIM module has been found faulty and replaced at my expense of £468. I explained that the car whilst under warranty suffered from the exact same problem, but they said that it would be very unlikely that Vauxhall would be able to do anything as the car was out of warranty.

Sorry its a bit long winded, but i would like to hear any comments if i have a case to raise with Vauxhall to try and recover some of the costs.

Rgds
    Aidi

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra and a Signum

Trim : top of the line in both

Engine : Z18XE,Z19DTH,Z20NET

Year : 2006

I would complain to VX customer services first and see where it takes me.. The repair (changing the CIM), should also be covered under a warranty that is separate. The guys on here will clarify it as its still to early for me but the work the do on the car for example chnaging the CIM module should be warrantied as well, but i am unsure how long they would do it for etc. You must have a case as you are basically just being stiffed, I would have refused to pay for that CIM.

You may not win a case and it will be long winded anyway, win or lose sell that car...
    Last edited by Caveman_nige; 31st July 2010 at 10:17.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia tourer

Trim : elite

Engine : 2.0 cdti 160

Year : 2011

any part thats replaced on the vehicle thats either under warranty or
    paid by yourself will only be covered for a period of 12 months so soon as
    this has elapsed then theres no warranty for the part wether its the cim or
    not and seems it is the cim then vauxhall will not sort it out unless its within
    the 12 months.

from what ive read on this fault youve had then imo it sounds more like the
    alternator as all my electrics went the same way and it was the
    alternator,i really cant see it being the cim again.

can i ask if your steering went very diffcult to steer,radio unit,display and
    everything flickered dramatically as if it did then im positive its ya alterantor

only i ask is that it does seem very familiar i had on the zafira.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks for the replies, with regards to your question Andy, only the lights, dials and the display went funny to start with. No adverse affect to the steering or engine performance etc.

One thing i forget to mention, when it very first happend, i called Vauxhall in Hereford and explained the problem, the manager said when it happens, give the hub of the steering wheel between the dash and wheel itself a hard tap.. If the problem then stops, then its pretty much garunteed to be the CIM at fault. I duly did this on a couple of occasions and true to his word it stopped. It then went in to the garage for the first of the CIM changes.

Nige, i really didnt have much choice in paying out for the CIM. They diagnosed the fault, and called me to tell me the problem. I had to have it done there and then as its my only form of transport.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

we have a problem on vectra 52 plate, car would not start, initially cruise control would cut out and then a few spanner icons in the dash, this winter in Lancashire 2010 and the car would not start, RAC man thought it was starter motor, on a 2nd visit for trailing purposes it was found that an auto electrician was need, tried allan price in Blackburn, they found the fault to be on a CIM module behind the steering airbag, which cannot be repaired nor replaced second hand, a new module was needed at the cost of just under £300 and nearly a £150 for diagnostic and fitting, and the car costed £1550, is this worth to repalce you may ask, i think NOT, tecnician asked me to research perhaps a place that would perhaps repair CIM modules, but no joy so far.. for now the technician cleaned the contacts on the cim module and replaced it back into the console of the steering, the car now starts intermittently and have been advised to tap the steering wheel or move the wipers up and down , and that should do the trick temporarily... thats ALL !!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think there is one on ebay which is tech 2 cleared... £50 if i remember correctly. Just need to find someone with a tech2 who can program it in. Might want to drop Andy.l a PM, he might be able to help if you were going to replace.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Aidi View Post
    I think there is one on ebay which is tech 2 cleared... £50 if i remember correctly. Just need to find someone with a tech2 who can program it in. Might want to drop Andy.l a PM, he might be able to help if you were going to replace.

hi thanks for that, had a few ppl look at the fautl using a tECH 2 manchine
    he tried all sorts, reprogramming the CIM MODULE and transponder keys etc, stil no joy, although car started to fire, BUT tempremental

can i ask :
    does the CIM MODULE BEING sold on ebay have to match the XU, XR UZ codes ???

or does the CIM module have to be one specific for the car year and make and model (I.E vectra c 2.0dti)

just that the man from ebay said that teh codes do have to match

but the electrician said that the car make model and year is fine

ANYWAY WE ARE GOING TO ASK DEALER FOR THE PRICE OF UNIT

AND ALSO AS ANOTHER POSSIBLE CHEAPER REVENUE WE ARE GOING TO SEARCH SCRAP YARDS FOR THIS PART /CAR

AND THE TECHIE MAN SAID THAT HE WOULD COME WITH US TO TECH 2 CLEAR THE MODULE BEFORE HE REMOVES FROM OLD VEHICLE

SO FINGERS CROSSED WE CAN EITHER GET A CIM MODULE OFF DEALER IN BLACKBURN LANCS, OR FIND THE PART AT SCRAP YARD

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

you have checked and reseated the blue fuses in the boot and f17 in the dash havent you before you go spending a lot of money for the fault to return ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My CIM problem has reoccured yet again last week :-(. After a chat with Kman247, it seems more likely to be a plug/wiring problem being the cause of my CIM related problems.

To that end, might be worth doing what Richard reccomended me to do:

Look t your steering wheel, you will see on the hub two small covers which when removed reveals 2x cross heard screws.

Move the steering wheel and remove one of the screws, then move again to remove the other.

Lift off the top plastic covering to expose the CIM module.

You will see a bundle of wires which stretch over the top of the CIM module, and connect via a plug on the left hand side.

The plug is removed by pulling up the browny coloured locking device, which will then pop out the CIM plug.

Spray some WD40 (or equivelant) into the plug (put a cloth behind it so oil does not go everywhere) then wipe off the excess. Again, as best as possible clean the contacts on the CIM module, replace the plug and re-assemble.

It cant make things any worse, but worth a shot as replacement is circa £450 at the dealers for replacement and programming.

Thanks to Kman247 for taking the time to chat with me on this, i hope this might help others too in the future. Its dead simple to do and could save you a bucket of cash

Rgds
    Aidi

Thread Information