Thread: Best sound deadening?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Best sound deadening?

I am going to start building my system and going to sound deaden as I go. I am starting with the rear hatch area and doors maybe, and was just wondering what you guys thought was the best stuff to use. There are so many different ones (Dynamat, StP, B-Quiet). I have never done this so any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well I've heard good things about silent coat which you can get from caraudiodirect.com... its meant to be as good as dynamat but half the price. I've gotten myself some but not gotten round to fitting it yet.

For more advice I'd suggest the forums at talkaudio :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have been on talk audio but not happy with it. They only pimp product they sell and can't get true comparison with other there. I tried to find anything about Silent Coat but company seems like doesn't exist. Dynamat, stp are well known and emma partners. Some demo cars have been done on these two and with silent coat you can't even find manufacturer headoffice to get precise details about the products.
    So I went ahead with Stp and s bit of Dynamat.
    Firstly Dynamat have been applied on the doors and boot.
    I was still unhappy with the results so my sound deadening project has been extended with StP products.
    StP is much cheaper (nearly half of Dynamat RRP) and 50% thicker.
    I did with StP the whole floor and under rear seat.
    Still in my opinion the car was to noisy.
    I applied under bonnet kit from stp and closed cell structure foam under rear seat and fitted some noise barriers on the floor. Now It's much better some pictures of the install will follow.

I have more pictures but only this one been published on the stp profile on facebook
    I have been offered some discount of the rrp in lieu of pictures so if someone think about soundproof his car check with them maybe can get same deal.
    Last edited by X-men; 1st March 2011 at 15:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

interested in this as im looking for sound proofing. Where in Cheshire are you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry the pictures didn't come through.
    I upload as well some pictures on the web gallery but quality is not perfect as I did my project after work and took the pictures when it was dark outside. You can find it there.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1039100...trandartplast#
    It's a pity I didn't take pictures of Dynamat on the doors and in the boot earlier on but I was too excited with first sound proofing project done by myself.
    You can find as well there gallery of my friend's car. As a second car it was much easier for us. He completely sound proofed car with stp (get good deal with them). It was important to him to get his small car as quiet and comfortable as possible. He is a driving instructor so he spend the whole day in the car.

I see you are in Chester I will be playing squash there next week. PM me with your number and you may take a look on the sound proofing in the car once I will be there.
    Some (better) pictures of the installation:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1039100...trandartplast#
    Sorry guy can anyone help me to post pictures here?
    I'm rubbish with html...
    Last edited by X-men; 2nd March 2011 at 12:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've actually put my Silent Coat in and I'm rather pleased with what little I've done. You can get it at http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did you had a chance to compare similar car done on dynamat, stp or second skin?
    with all due respect try to get their technical data as I did massive research even in Latvia and no one can provide anything apart from meaningless marketing jargon.
    Technical data were never published so you can't really tell what's in it. Even
    Look on the other thread of the insignia install. This gent put roof flashisg tape. He probably didn't realise how much different it is from the automotive products. I pointed there some scary facts from it's safety sheets.
    I had three cars done with Dynamat as my friends had bad experience with cheap no-name bituminous mats. Now got good deal with stp so i sticked with it.
    From my opinion if you want to soundproof your car you have to find out first how does it suit you.
    You don't buy any car, any amp or speakers but you make choice.
    Look at the oils. Wery well known Castrol. Best oils? Maybe. But Castrol is not oil manufacturer. He bought right to sell it under their name did great marketing job and now is one of the biggest in the world.
    On the other hands Halfords, Tesco, Asda, Wickes etc have other products branded with their name.
    Let's back to the Silent Coat. Manufactured in Latvia, country with population smaller than greater Manchester
    I have Latvian neighbour and he did some research for me. He couldn't find any details of the factory in Latvia.
    Again in the UK CAD (silent coat uk distriutor) did a great marketing job, but who is real manufacturer and what it is made from you can't find unless you have chemical laboratories. Please find original silent coat website: www.silentcoat.lv.
    That's why i sticked with others, more open, with acessible data, technical sheets, and emma partners. I choosed from Dynamat, Second skin and stp. Sticked with last one as for their introduction to th uk i have been offered discount in lieu of pictures.
    If you are happy with silent coat, I am happy for you!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

[QUOTE=X-men;1465514
    I see you are in Chester I will be playing squash there next week. PM me with your number and you may take a look on the sound proofing in the car once I will be there.
    [/QUOTE]
    will do in the week when i know where i am as im working all over

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

you wanted to see that, I see it everyday :P

Thread Information