Thread: Rattle rattle boooooom!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Rattle rattle boooooom!!

Those that look in the trouble shooting section may see that my local VX garage are having problems diagnosing an intermittent fault with the engine.

I have an idea what it may be.
    Accelerating onto the M5 from the A30 at 11am this morning I lost all power.
    Strange I thought, wonder what that can be. Just as I thought that an enormous cloud of smoke appeared behind me, and I mean enormous. Enough smoke to completely blanket all 6 lanes FFS!

Made it to the hard shoulder and got the family to safety.
    I know they are criticised, but the Highways Agency bods took the missus, the nipper and the dog to Exeter Services whilst I waited for the recovery truck.
    An hour later, tey turned up, took me to the Services and informed me I would have to wait for a parol van to diagnose the fault before it could be decided what to do with me.
    I waited an hour, he turned up and his diagnosis was spot on. Engine U/S went on his report.
    Ok, we now have to get you recovered. Therein follows a 2 hour wait for a recovery truck.
    Nice enough chap, a local contractor called Lambs recovery, or something like that.
    Dropped me off 5 minutes ago. I left St Austell at 10.15am. 9 hours to get home. I am depressed!
    At least it should make diagnosing the fault easier!
    Last edited by Triple Trouble; 6th August 2006 at 19:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Starting to have some real concerns over these bluddy 2.2DTi's. Really feel for you mate. Hope you still have warranty. Let us know what it actually is though. I'm still considering putting a case together over the unreliability of these motors.

This was much the same as what happened to me. Have a looksie at the boost hose. When mine blew off, I had similair symptoms. Maybe this will help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Fortunately I still have about a month of Network Q left, and another year of the VX one, but I'll be over 60k in a couple of months so that will be it out of warranty.
    I don't think it's the turbo hose as if you start it, it smokes like bu66ery from the off, there is what I can only describe as a tinkling sound from the turbo area and it stinks of oil.
    Glad it went whan it did, at least it will get some new parts under warranty!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mine smoked like a tawt from the off too when the hose was hanging off, sounded pretty rough too. Mine didn't smell of oil though....

I would get in touch with network Q straight away and talk about a warranty extension.

Hope they sort you out bud, as it does sound a bit serious. If I can be of any help to you with this, please ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the offer, it's appreciated. Wonder what my dealer can do with regards to extending the warranty?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think the warranty extension is around the 500 quid mark per year.. which covers everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm looking into extended warranties covering breakdown assistance from the AA at the moment, will let you know what the comparison is like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok, the AA charge £100 for the second best breakdown cover they do.
    On top of this, for £65 you can add repair cover, this offers the following;

AA Breakdown Repair Cover provides for the cost of repair (subject to limits detailed below) of the following insured parts following their Mechanical or Electrical Failure:

The Engine
    All parts are covered other than exhaust systems.
    Engine Cooling System
    All parts are covered, other than in the case of damage or failure due to freezing, corrosion, erosion and blockage.
    Fuel System
    All parts are covered, other than in the case of damage or failure due to incorrect or contaminated fuel, internal blockage, adjustments and failure to meet current emission legislation.
    Clutch
    All parts are covered other than worn-out friction surfaces and release bearings.
    Gearbox
    All parts are covered.
    Differential and Drive Line
    All parts are covered.
    Steering
    All parts are covered.
    Suspension
    All parts are covered other than wheels and tyres.
    Braking System
    All parts are covered other than worn-out friction surfaces.
    Electrical System
    All parts are covered including car starter batteries other than sun roof motors and mechanisms, folding roof motors and mechanisms, window mechanisms, (electrical and mechanical), door lock mechanisms (electrical and mechanical), ignition lock and barrel, lamps, bulbs, faulty connections, speedometer and odometer.
    Other Insured Parts are:
    Air conditioning compressor but not any other air conditioning components.
    Front windscreen wiper linkages.

Housings and Casings
    These are covered provided they are damaged by the failure of an insured part.

Other parts that are not covered
    All body parts, roof frames, glass, non-glass windows, paint, upholstery, folding roof fabric, trim, and cosmetic finishes. Any equipment that is not fitted as standard by the manufacturer at the time of production.

That seems like a damn good deal for £165 per year including breakdown cover, roadside assist and relay.

Any single claim is limited to £500 less £25 excess, but that's still not bad. At1 least you would have a £475 contribution towards the cost for a major repair

The bill for the recovery of my car yesterday was over £300 alone!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds possibly like a blown turbo oil seal. new turbo may well be on the cards! Hope you get it fixed TT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

In a stupid way I hope it's a knackered turbo, knackered intercooler, damaged cylinder head and inlet manifold and loads of other things.
    I've so far got a lot of faith in my dealer, so I want as much of the engine as possible to be new before the warranty expires!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information