User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who said the Insignia is too fat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Who said the Insignia is too fat!

If I compare like for like, Insignia SE Nav 2.0 CDTi 160 hatch and against a Vectra Elite Nav 1.9 CDTi 150 (Closest on spec) I have found the following.

Insignia 2.0 CDTi 160 Auto SE Nav Auto Gross Vehicle Weight = 2170kg's
    Vectra 1.9 CDTi 150 Elite Nav Auto Gross Vehicle Weight = 2030kg's

So the Insignia is 140kg's heavier, so not alot of difference.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi 150 is 147bhp and 235lb/ft
    Insignia 2.0 CDTi 160 is 157bhp and 258lb/ft

So the Insignia is 10bhp more and 23lb/ft more than the equivelent Vectra, so is this enough to overcome the 140 extra weight?
    Performance and official mpg figures

Insignia 2.0 CDTi 160 Auto SE Nav Auto

0-60 in 9.0 seconds and a Top Speed of134mph (Manual is 8.9 to 60 and 135mph) - So 0.1 difference to 60 between the Auto and the Manual

Vectra 1.9 CDTi 150 Elite Nav Auto

0-60 in 9.4 seconds and a Top Speed of 130mph (Manual is 8.9 to 60 and 135mph) - So a difference of 0.5 seconds between the Auto and the Manual.

Insignia 2.0 CDTi 160 Auto SE Nav

Auto :- Urban MPG = 30.4 - Extra Urban MPG = 54.3MPG - Combined = 42.2MPG
    Manual :- Urban MPG = 36.7 - Extra Urban MPG = 60.1MPG - Combined = 48.7MPG

So you lose 6.5mpg by going Auto

Vectra 1.9 CDTi 150 Auto Elite Nav

Auto :- Urban MPG = 29.7 - Extra Urban MPG = 52.3MPG - Combined = 40.9MPG
    Manual :- Urban MPG = 38.2 - Extra Urban MPG = 60.1MPG - Combined = 49.6MPG

So you lose 8.7mpg by going Auto

In summary, when you look at the figures, the argument about the Insignia being too heavy and the fact that this weight blunts it's performance compared to the Vectra C is clearly unfounded.

In automatic form, the Insignia 2.0 CDTi 160, although 140kg's heavier than it's Vectra counterpart is quicker and better on fuel than the Vectra by 1.3 mpg.

In Manual form, the Insignia 2.0 CDTi 160 is 2145kg's (Gross Weight) compared to 2005kg's (Gross Weight) of the Vectra, so a difference of the same 140kg's.

So in Manual form, the Insignia 2.0 CDTi 160 has identical 0-60 and top speed times than the Vectra equivalant but is 0.9 mpg worse than the Vectra.

I have found this to be very interesting considering the amount of threads from many people who say the Insignia is too fat and heavy and that the Vectra is lighter and more nimble.

Yes the Vectra is lighter, but the facts show that in automatic form, the Insignia is more efficient than the Vectra, and in manual form, there is pretty much nothing in it.

Any comments welcome.
    Last edited by Maverick; 26th July 2010 at 20:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Think I prefer the Vectra CDTI Elite, I see 50mpg combined the Insignia is heavy car, and for what? The rear leg room is not great - and that is a complaint from people who own them and generally so is the MPG, but would I buy one - yes I would just hope the niggles are sorted.

And in answer to your question, you claim it's not the best for fuel even though you don't rag it.

To me Vauxhall should of really considered weight reduction before production. But then I suppose the Insignia will drop in wieght when Vauxhall do to it as the done with the Vectra - like removing switches, rain sensors, cup holders, trays (like the one that used to be below the light switch panel) ,celery holders etc.

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The Insignia though heavier than the Vectra feels a lot more nimble to me. It certainly corners much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The Insignia has a far superior chassis than the Vectra so really does handle better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza4 View Post
    but would I buy one - yes I would just hope the niggles are sorted.

And in answer to your question, you claim it's not the best for fuel even though you don't rag it.

Gazza4
    Mine has not had any niggles, the majority of Insignia's have been fault free. But you will always get some issues. At least the Insignia has been no where near as bad as Vectra C when it came out in 2002.

Regarding mpg, I am going to see what I can get out of a tank to see if it can acheive the 42.2mpg average as claimed in the technical details.

We all know that the publish figures are based on ideal laboritory conditions, but if we can match these figures in the real world then that has got to be a positive for the car.

Regarding rear leg room, I don't think the Insignia is worse than the Vectra. But compared to the Signum, they are both bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

No disrespect but yours never do suffer, but I have heard of the two problems i have with it - rattling dash and the economy thing, I mean within the 1st week of the cars launch there was a recall on the airbag.

Like I said though I wouldn't avoid one, the rattling dash is bad enough on a 117k Vectra Elite but tolerable due to age and mileage. but on a new car it's pretty lame.

Gazza4
    Last edited by GazVXLINE170; 26th July 2010 at 23:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Had the CDTI engine been new on the Insignia it would of had all the problems the Vec c has had, its only because Vauxhall have inproved the 2.0 cdti from the ill fated 1.9 cdti.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by 98vectra View Post
    Had the CDTI engine been new on the Insignia it would of had all the problems the Vec c has had, its only because Vauxhall have inproved the 2.0 cdti from the ill fated 1.9 cdti.
    Thats very true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

to keep comparing the insignia to the vec is ridicoulous, i actually love my vec but its nowhere as good as the insignia it wins hands down in all departments as it should for a new model we all know the vec has one of the worst chasiss on the market and problems with certain engines, but that doesnt bother me for now i am happy because i still love the look of my car and it still gives me a buzz when i drive it, so in conclusion can all insignia owners start comparing to bmw or audi as we should with the price tag for a insignia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    The Insignia has a far superior chassis than the Vectra so really does handle better.
    Well it is very heavily based on the Vectra-C so no wonder it's good

Seriously though it is very heavily modified in the bushes and tuning stakes to reduce NVH levels and is a very good car to drive.

I don't have any comments or remarks on it being "fat" but it sure is BIG! compared even to the new Mondeo another very large car. I am certain that I would evolve into the Insignia at some point from my Vectra but right now is not that time financially.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information