Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default z32se timing belt replacement

Hi Guys.

When is the timing belt due to be replaced in the ZC v6 vectra(z32se)?

the 'holden' users manual says every 120,000kms. but ive seen alot of people recommending to do it at 60,000kms.

also, is it a belt or a chain in the z32se?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Astra GTC VXR

Trim : VXR

Engine : 2.0t

Year : 2013

It's belt driven.
    Most people here get theirs changed at 40000 miles as a precaution but the book does say 80000. I know that i'd rather get it done at 40 instead of running the chance of it gone before 80, 24 valves and whatever else could go would work out rather expensive.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks mate, you make a good point. but if they say it should be good for 120,000kms they surely mean at least 120,000kms, right?

hmm i might have to look into doing it later this year. im on 100,000kms atm.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had mine done at 80k miles (about 128000 miles) but it was only on there that long as it had 79k on it when I bought it. The suppling dealer did it for me.

Next time I would get it done at 40-60k miles. (64k km - 95k km.)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi guys.
    so im about to buy the parts and do this myself. the last thing i need is a service manual of some sort. it turns out the haynes one dose not include the z32se, which is very disappointing.

can anyone please direct me to a service manual to do the timing belt?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hey shadow warrior,

where do you intend on buying your timing belt kit? and are you doing the water pump at the same time?

I am also from OZ and am probably going to get this stuff sent from the UK (Wayyy to costly to buy here)
    I am also probably going to buy the timing belt locking kit also as I have heard this is quite important...That is unless anyone can tell me how to ensure the timing belt tensioners are set as accurately as possible without the locking kit??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hey PObox.

http://www.vauxhallworldparts.com/
    this is the site i was going to order parts from. its the only one i found which delivers to Australia. i will be doing the water pump at the same time, as its not that expensive.

i guess a locking kit would be a good idea. i was thinking i could get away without it, but better not to risk it. although i was really hoping to follow some sort of guide or service manual to do this. im not sure i want to take the risk of messing it up without one.
    could you give me a link to the site where you are sourcing the locking kit from?

are you following a service manual or are you hoping to wing it from experience?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

shadow.warrior

I am negotiating with lmfvauxhall.co.uk for a massive load of parts as we speak.

They have been very helpful so far. Postage is a killer and it looks like it will cost me about $400au just to get the parts here but it still works out 600% cheaper.

eg: rear hub unit with ABS sensor:
    Holden Chullora (Sydney): $895
    LMF: 75GBP or $125au plus shipping

Timing belt Kit
    Holden: $495
    LMF: $125au plus shipping

I simply dont understand the pricing at Holden... It is actually offensive that they try to charge so damn much...

As far as fitting the timing belt I would feel confident in doing this myself also. It is just mechanics after all. I have previously replaced a leaking water pump and so have been through the rigmarole of dismantling the air box, engine mounts, aux belt tensioner etc etc. It was seemed a little complex the first time...but the next two times (to replace the two consecutively faulty water pumps I installed) were much much faster.
    Some time ago a member here on Vectra-C was so very kind and sent me a video of the timing belt being changed in a v6 3.2 This has made me rethink doing the timing belt without the locking kit. Getting the timing marks lined up on 4 cams and the crank is quite complex and involves some very particular tensioning of the three tensioning pulleys. The video clearly shows how to do this and frankly it looks like you could spend hours guessing if it was exact and still not be totally sure, as opposed to inserting the timing mark alignment tool (as shown on the video) and being done with it.

I was looking at this one:

http://www.incarshop.co.uk/acatalog/...ing_Tools.html

There are also a few for sale on ebay UK for 40GBP seems like the really good ones cost about 150GBP

cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

holden really is ridiculous. they charged me $350 for a service when i first got the car. all they did was change the oil and oil filter. didn't even change the air filter. this is ridiculous enough, but they didn't even use the right oil. they used their cheap stock commodore oil which they buy barrels of and thought it would be ok. after that when i reved the car out it was burning oil and blowing abit of smoke, so i had to change it myself anyways.

if that wasn't bad enough a close friend of mine has the same car and they charged him $500 for a service, and told him that the head gasket is blown and it will cost $7000 to fix. the head gasket was clearly fine and the car has been running for a month since then.

im never ever going back to holden. they are scum bags.

anyways, back on topic, thanks alot for the link of the locking kit. looks like that particular tool set is for the older vectra. i will need one for the z32se motor(3.2 ltr). i will definitely be buying the kit though.
    you wouldn't happen to have that video would you mate? sounds exactly what i need.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

warrior,

the first kit on that list (in the link) is for the Y32SE engine, but even the locking kit from the really early v6 engines will fit eg: 2.5 litre, saab 9-3 v6 even Caddilac v6. Sealey also make one

Perhaps a deal can be reached...

As for the video, still have it but I have had some troubles watching it and the computer has had difficulties ripping it to make a copy. I will keep trying and if I can I will get you a copy. I think it would be a bad move to try a timing belt without it or some other guidance.

And as for Holden...well I would say thier approach to the customer is about in-line with most of Australia.

The Rules for Customer service in Australia:

* The customer is always wrong - Even if the customer is right the business owner / staff are even-more-right
    * Please ensure the customers are aware of the above point. Even if it means making a display of aggressive ignorance
    * Make a point of being rude - even if it isnt warranted.
    * If the customer wishes to make a purchase please feel free to charge them as much as absolutely possible. then add 434% fee for for having to deal with them (the customer) in the first place
    * If we dont have the part or item then it probably doesn't exist, even if it does exist, we wont do anything at all to make it available for you. In fact we will probably tell you the part is no longer manufactured.
    * If you are a complete knob of a customer and insist of us finding you the part we will deliberately order you the incorrect part then give you some more hell when you try to return it

I could go on and on.

Australia needs to take some lessons from the USA when it comes to customer service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information