User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch issues (Manual Z19DTH) - any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Clutch issues (Manual Z19DTH) - any ideas?

Hi Guys,

For a while now I've noticed a slight rattling sound when parked, in neutral and with clutch engaged (pedal up). I've read all about the DMF problems but up until about 2 weeks ago I've not noticed juddering or anything unusual. Clutch is really smooth and the car runs great. The rattling sound stopped when pressing clutch pedal to floor.

But...a couple of weeks ago I noticed that things had changed all of a sudden and I was getting a loud rattle (much louder than the previous) when the clutch pedal was pressed all the way down. I have since had a couple of non-invasive diagnoses at local garages both who do not think the DMF is the problem but its something in the clutch. Both garages advised to leave it for now just in case they got every thing opened up to find nothing.

More symptoms...

When I slowly lift the clutch pedal and it just gets to biting point there is a very noticeable scratchy/rubbing sort of sound which is audible moving the pedal almost all the way to the top. With the pedal all the way up - no sound. Then pressing the pedal back down (again slowly), first with pedal depressed very slightly there is a wicked vibration through pedal, then (pedal further down) comes the rubbing/scratching noise, then all the way down the rattle sound.

Clutch is still very smooth whilst driving and shifting through gears. I think i can also hear the rattle when at low speed/revs in 2nd gear (eg 10mph). At higher speeds road noise may be blocking it out or it might not occur at all at higher revs. Sometimes the sound makes me think my clutch is gonna fall apart one day all of a sudden, but if I was deaf I would never no any different - clutch feels that smooth whilst driving.

Any ideas guys what has happened/is happening to my clutch? Could it be a release or pilot bearing gone bad? Any ideas/opinions would be very much apprechiated.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

any update on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Could be th throughout bearing, they can give similar symptoms to the DMF issue. Also, you could be unfortunate and have both problems.

Gazza4

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Definitely sounds DMFy to me. If you're taking the gearbox off anyway, you'll have to ponder on which bits you may as well renew anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

snap. i have the same death rattle,when i depress/release my clutch pedal. i have had it for months now, its the dual mass flywheel. ( i just turn the radio up ) me and the son are going to replace it one weekend.plus clutch cover/clutch plate/hydraulic csc cylinder. seen the kit on flebay for £464.95. gong to get some prices ? then you have the labour ,if your not handy with the spanners. local garage want £900 all in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

D......m.....fffff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Had exactly the same problem - surprised your garages don't know as it is very common across many models using DMF (they virtually all do these days, it's mainly higher powered diesels that have the problem [Toyota D4D have the same issue).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

These couple of videos give a good idea of what is going on....
    This is a U tube video of a failed DMF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFnLMQNKKH8&NR=1

This is a U tube of a good DMF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIg3S_n5F4E&NR=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default I wonder...

I have a similar rattle, but actually the other way around. If I press the pedal all the way it is quiet and once it bites it starts to rattle, getting better once the foot is all the way off - Should I start saving my pounds for the nasty surprise????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had the same rattle at 89k miles, it turned out to be the bearing between the two halves of the DMF which allowed the two halves to flap about, clutch was perfect along with the release bearing as I don't ride it on hills, also the springs were perfect as well, so the failure wasn't the usual sort which results in poor driveability.

I opted to have evrything replaced as I didnt know beforehand what had failed so it ended up costing me £900, but if you drive sensibly and dont ride the clutch, then you should be able to just replace the DMF and save yourself some money.

Best thing is talk to the garage and see if they will do the DMF only, but if upon removal of the gearbox they find the clutch worn heavily would they do that as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information