Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default How much does it cost?

Hi folks

I was contemplating getting rid of the wifes car and getting a motorbike to use to commute us both to work. I havent took my motorcycle test etc, infact, no done anything regarding it. I passed my car driving test in 1998.

What i am looking for is about how much do you think the initial cost would be to get set up and pass tests etc?

For example, clothing, semi decent bike (probably a more tourer than pure sports bike) somewhere around the 500cc mark, tests, cbt etc.

any info would be great.

Thanks
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

To get a cheap starter bike (cbf or similar), gear and test you won't get much change from £1500. Not sure what insurance will be think my first year was about £300.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi why not a trike? u dont need a bike test u can drive 1 on a car license u dont even need to have any head gear on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The purpose of getting the bike is for me and my wife to be able to commute to work through the traffic very easily, not held up by long queues etc. I will be over 21 (just honest ) so will be able to ride any bike i want really. I didnt want anything too powerful though which was why i thought around a 500cc mark would be adequate.

Am i thinking unreasonably?

Thanks
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gortreck View Post
    The purpose of getting the bike is for me and my wife to be able to commute to work through the traffic very easily, not held up by long queues etc. I will be over 21 (just honest ) so will be able to ride any bike i want really. I didnt want anything too powerful though which was why i thought around a 500cc mark would be adequate.

Am i thinking unreasonably?

Thanks
    Tony
    hi mate, well first of all it can be expensive initially just depends what your budget is like, what you need to do first is this go to your local motorcycle school and speak with them you'll be looking at a DAS course which is a Direct Access course (think the name hasnt changed as a lot has changed in this test not for the best either) that entails a CBT on a 125cc then ONCE you PASS as you will you'll move upto 500cc for your lessons, dont be afraid of them either cos i found them better and safer than the 125cc lol then your flying mate....believe me when i say this its a bug really is ive only been riding now 5yrs and do club racing when i can and have just bought a cbr1000rr ( fireblade ) i dont want to scare you off but i had no change out of £5g but i did buy the best i could afford and a 600rr mmmmm what else oh my insurance for first yr was £580 but its down to £400 fully comp with a 1000cc so it can be cheap plus when you think £47-48 per yr for road tax mate not bad......so remember even if you forget everything else "always buy the best gear you can afford" cos you only live once plus buy a banger for the winter mate cos it aint fun lol in the winter if ya need any more help let me lknow ill do my best to help ya

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

oh and ill pop up to see ya on my new bike to if ya like try http://www.artofmotorcycling.co.uk/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

dont forget you need to take the other 2 tests as well, hazard perseption and the theroy, thats befor you can do the das,, i did all mine over a 4 day course, split up over 2 weekends £550, soon as i passed my test my insurance was £1500, got that down to £550, on a honda cbr 600,, only 26 at the time with 6 points, now im 31 its £100 fully comp,, your looking at the best part of £1500 for the tests etc,, then the cost of your bike,,
    my 1st was a honda cbr 600 fn kreg, plenty of power for a newbie rider,,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for all the info guys!

I will look into that link a bit more If you pass your theory test, i am guessing it stays certified for about 2 years? Need to sort out moneys for this

Thanks
    Tony

Thread Information