Thread: EGR Blanking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation EGR Blanking.

Just been reading about the Fiat EGR gasket and their modified type that is now available.Some posts are asking about blanking both the exhaust access into the EGR valve itself and also the inlet into the manifold.Others are saying they are either blanking the inlet manifold off or simply just disconnecting the EGR valve altogether.
    What would happen if you were to just blank the exhaust access off completely with the new oval FIAT one?.This would stop the gasses entering the EGR valve and causing any "gunging up" of the valve AND inlet in the first place.
    I know that the engine warning light would show,but some posts are saying that they have done thousands of miles with the inlet to the manifold blocked off so why not the initial source?.
    One post said that he had removed the EGR valve again after 6000K and found that the inlet had CLEANED ITSELF!!!!!!.What do you think? Felixx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra SRi

Trim : XP1

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 66000

In answer to your questions, the Fiat gaskets won't blank anything, they are restrictor gaskets as they have small holes in them to restrict the gasses being fed through (and it makes a swirl effect too).

If you want to blank off the EGR then you can either blank off the exhaust side (which will stop any gasses entering the EGR) or the inlet manifold side (which won't stop gasses getting into the EGR, but will stop them entering the manifold - which is the main objective of blanking it). Both do the job to be honest and have proved to work.

Not so sure about cleaning itself as I haven't taken mine off, but with it running so sweet I am not sure I want to dislodge it all.

Hope this sheds more light on your questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused

Have you blanked the valve off or just disconnected it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    Have you blanked the valve off or just disconnected it?
    Blanked it, as disconnecting it is no good, as more often than not the problem with them is that they stick, and don't quite shut properly, if disconnected then the same issues will happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question

Mine,(touch wood),is working fine at the moment and doesn't have any issues.
    However,as its done 93k,I'm just trying to pre-empt any problems that might occur before something starts to go wrong!
    I treat her with cotton wool/kid gloves or whatever,but,like everything in life, you never know what's round the next corner.
    I must admit,I've found the info on this site invaluable,it's saved me £££££££s
    already,so all I can say is a big thank you to everyone who has contributed and long may it continue.Felixx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Its the people that make the effort to "do" the mods/fixes on the site mate, those people are invaluable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused

Tell me,if I was to unplug the EGR,would it cause any serious problems?. Or,alternatively,blank the exhaust gasket access as I suggested,would THIS cause any problems?.The point I am thinking of is that if it doesn't,then it might give the whole system a chance to recover.Maybe.......???
    One of the other things I have been thinking about,is,there was a post from a VX technician on a field repair which involved drilling a hole in the body of the valve to allow the piston assembly to be eased out for cleaning.Well,I was thinking of taking this repair a step further and,instead of sticking a bit of tape over the hole before fitting the valve back,what about putting a rubber plug in so that you could squirt a shot of oil or easit in on a regular basis.This would stop the piston/plunger assembly from seizing up as,apparently,it's the corrosion that causes the solenoid to burn out.
    What do you think?.Felixx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    Tell me,if I was to unplug the EGR,would it cause any serious problems?. Or,alternatively,blank the exhaust gasket access as I suggested,would THIS cause any problems?.The point I am thinking of is that if it doesn't,then it might give the whole system a chance to recover.Maybe.......???
    One of the other things I have been thinking about,is,there was a post from a VX technician on a field repair which involved drilling a hole in the body of the valve to allow the piston assembly to be eased out for cleaning.Well,I was thinking of taking this repair a step further and,instead of sticking a bit of tape over the hole before fitting the valve back,what about putting a rubber plug in so that you could squirt a shot of oil or easit in on a regular basis.This would stop the piston/plunger assembly from seizing up as,apparently,it's the corrosion that causes the solenoid to burn out.
    I unplugged mine recently..........and it went like stink when unplugged so my next step is a remap and egr turned off..........the eml light drove me mad tho

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation

Wouldn't this be the same as blanking the exhaust access to the valve in the first place,and,more to the point,would/could it cause any other problems other than the light staying on?.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unpluging it will put the car/spanner light on for a few start up's but then goes out to be replaed by the eml light .. but i blanked my egr off (self made plate) and its been going like stink for close to 700 miles now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information