I have a 2003 Vectra with the AF23 gearbox. It started going wrong inside warranty, occassionally slipping and often selecting the wrong gears particularly after coming off the motorway. The dealer reported NFF and it slowly got worse and eventually lost drive and tripped to limp home mode after warranty had expired. Vx paid for the box but I had to pay for (a lot) of labour.

16 months later and about 12K miles, I was driving to a business meeting on the motorway on a very wet day. Pulled off the motorway it started slipping and went into limp home mode. I just about made it to the meeting but it had no drive at all and I had it towed. There were no symptoms prior to the failure.

After trying to get Vx or the dealer to cough up I dumped it in my garage and bought another car and it's sat there for over a year. It now has a lttle drive for a few minutes before the oil warms up. I tried to sell it but it's worth nothing.

I have 2 questions:

1. I found notes below about a problem on the insignia forum. Does anyone know how to check if this has been done?
-----------------------------------------------
Field Remedy: 1650

Subject: AF23/33 transmission - No driving torque because of cooling water in transmission oil

Complaint: Loss of the transmission functionality in isolated cases. The following symptoms may occur occasionally: <*1*>- failure codes P0700, P0715 or P0720 set - slight loss of cooling water - sediments in coolant expansion tank

Cause: Improper function of the sealring at the oil cooler conncetion. This can cause the penetration of a little quantity of cooling fluid into transmission oil.

Production: An improved oil cooler/radiator has been introduced in production as of VIN W0L0ZCF3541042598 (Rüsselsheim) and VIN W0L0ZCF6848035197 (Ellesmere Port).
----------------------------------------------

2. How do I check the colour of the transmission oil? I can't find a dipstick anywhere. Is it easy to change the oil or would I be wasting my time?