User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice to know that in this day and age.....

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Nice to know that in this day and age.....

...there are still honest people willing to do a good deed!

Nipped into town this afternoon with Cameron and parked up at some on-street parking. As the shop I wanted was literally yards away I didn't bother getting a Pay and Display ticket.

Popped into a shop just near where I parked, didn't have what I wanted, so was going to go to another shop that may have had. As it was a little distance away I nipped back to the car to get a buggy for Cameron as it'd be quicker to get there and I also needed to get a parking ticket. Nipped into a shop to buy a drink to basically get some change for the Pay & Display machine as I had none.

Got to the shop, they had what I wanted, and went to get my wallet. "Uh oh!", no wallet!

I knew I had it with me as I'd just bought the drink to get change, so assumed I'd placed it in the boot of the car when I was sorting out Cameron and getting the buggy out, so headed back to the car. Hadn't quite got there when my mobile rang. It was the Police. She started off saying "It's nothing to worry about..." and before she finished I clicked why she was ringing "You've got my wallet haven't you?" - as that was the only reason I could think why they would be ringing me. "Yes, we do" was answer.

The station was near where I'd just come from at the other shop so headed back there. Got there and she asked me to describe what was in the wallet. "I can do better than that." I said, "I'll tell you the 16 digit number of the debit card in there". She looked at me as if to say "Yeah, right" but asked me to so do. Rattled off the number to her, much to her surprise and got the wallet back.

Asked her how she got my mobile number so quickly. She explained and it was down to a bit of clever work on her behalf after coming across a particular account card in my wallet.

Asked her where it was found - right by the car by the sounds of it, so I'd dropped it whilst sorting out Cameron/buggy etc.

Asked if she could tell me the phone number of the person who found it and handed it in, she couldn't (Data Protection) and she'd forgotten to ask the guy if it was okay to give his details if I'd asked. She said she could ring him to pass on my thanks. As that was about all I could do I said I'd appreciate if she did.

There wasn't much in the wallet - debit card, Staples account card, some loyalty cards and bit of cash (£25) - but the whole hassle to be without the debit card at the weekend whilst waiting for a new one would've been a PITA.

From where the guy found it to where the Police Station is a reasonable walk/distance, so for him to have actually bothered to hand it in in the first place and to have made the effort to walk to the Police Station was, I thought, really good of him. I'd have done the same if I found a wallet, as that's the sort of person I am, but you do wonder whether someone else would do the same for you. Reassuring to see that there are people that would. Others would have either kept it, taken the cash, just left it where they found it or tried to use the debit card dishonestly!

So, nice to see that there are still people out there that retain our faith in society.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Toyota

Trim : Yaris Hybrid

Engine : 1.5 Hybrid

Year : 2021

Mileage : 5525

you were lucky D .....................I wonder what percentage of ppl would of bothered to hand it in ?? and also how many would of rifeled through it .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did something similar when we found some VW keys on the floor in a car park local to here. Pressed the button and a brand new Golf opened a few feet away. After pressing the lock button and putting a note on the windscreen we handed the keys in at the local police station.

About three hours later the police called saying that the owner had collected the keys and left us a note. It was basically a letter of thanks but included a fiver to buy a beer or two.

Now if had been a Monaro....

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    you were lucky D .....................I wonder what percentage of ppl would of bothered to hand it in ?? and also how many would of rifeled through it .
    Exactly. It was one thing to even get it back, but to get it back within about half an hour or so of dropping it was quite something!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevel View Post
    Now if had been a Monaro....
    ...the owner would've been wondering how the hell it was parked in a different space and he had no fuel left!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

great man. just shows that good people are out there. say a prayer so god can bless that persons soul.

I my self found a mallet last december with £80, $150usd and cards pics and all. emailed the owner.
    He told me to take £50 for my self and post off the wallet to him.
    bought me self a few pints

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We really are the lucky ones up here, i often dont lock the car and very rarely lock the house but i am very glad to hear this happened D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

Nice to know there are people like that around.
    I saw a bloke who had just parked his car at the end of our road, his wallet had fallen out of his pocket. When I drove past him. I stopped the car and told him he had dropped his wallet by his car. At first he did not belive me till he felt his back pocket then looked over to his car, to see the wallet on the floor. He thanked me, and I carried on off up the road. I have allso been known to take house keys up to the police station, that I have found in the street(or where ever) that have been lost by some one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

once found a set of keys for 911 porsche and merc ( yes both on the same ring ) on a supermarket car park.

was sorely tempted to exchange my Vx key for the porsche especially as it was a GT2 and sat a few spaces away

but being valiant

i took keys in, they announced it over the tannoy

person came to pick them up

not grateful at all.... in fact they just didn't seem to care

maybe they had more money than sense

maybe i should have borrowed it

at least i'd have looked after it!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had this a few months ago, fell out my bag though on the way to the car. By time I realised though was a few hours later so canceled the card as I was about 100 miles away from home by that point but Matt called into the police station for me and they did have it but couldn't give it to him but as I'd canceled the card already had to wait for a new one and a new pin number which took about two week, was so cheesed off.

I managed to see the name of the person and their address on the form that had been filled in when I collected my purse though

And Steven, my mums house is like that. Could easily leave the house unlocked and no one would care. Left my car windows open one night when I pressed the wrong button to fold the mirrors, left the hand brake off for some reason, next door were away for two weeks not that long ago and left his work van windows open and nothing happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great to hear honesty and thoughtfulness are still traits in existence.

With my home insurance this year they've sent out some keyrings with a number on them. If my wife or I lose our keys the finder can ring the number and get a tenner and we get our keys back, a nice touch. Let's hope it works if we ever need it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information