0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Any advice/help welcome

Hi All, Im new to the forum and i am currently in the process of buying a Vetra C 2005 (newer shape) 1.9cdti 150bhp exclusive. The car itself as covered 112k and i know that it as had the following done in the last 12 months (seen the recipts)
    Full clutch lit including duel mass fly wheel / Cam-belt / Full service / Alternator on the 27th July 2009 ..Then last dec again 09 new front pads and discs and both drop links replaced..
    Just after any advice on anything else i need to/should look out for as the car comes with no service history

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What ever you do, check out the inlet manifold mate. I bought my vec in jan this year and its booked in for manifold replacement next week........at a cost of £750. I thought I'd found a bargain, it had a full main dealer service history, with one company owner from new and covered 80k. Also mate , you did not mention whether is was an estate....mine is, and its fitted with a DPF, which I have also had probs with ( a new one can cost up to £1200), although I have so far not had to replace it. Beware mate, honest!!
    These are nice cars but given the amount of technology on them, they can be a headache......and pricey when they go wrong!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a hatchback so dont think i should have any worries with the DPF..
    Do you mean see if the inlet manifold as been replaced .. as sounds like there would be no other way of checking it ?
    Not too sure if my car is going to be a bargain as im getting it at £3500 seems cheap enough concidering what as been replaced on the car
    I currently have a Bmw 320d 02 plate and trust me i know all about how expensive cars can be lol
    Last edited by Doddy01; 14th July 2010 at 10:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    regarding the inlet manifold, check that the swirl valve linkage is in its rightful place, ie, not broken off. Theres loads of info on it on here. It would be great if you knew that it had been replaced but with you saying it has no service history (other than the bits you mentioned) i guess you'd never know. There has been an updated/improved manifold produced but with your motor being a 2005 model it will more than likely have the older one fitted like my 56 plate.

Hope this helps you a bit, and with regards to the DPF, you're right, you won't have one.....unless its an automatic box!!

If you need anymore info on the manifold and what to look for just give us a shout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are going to be OK on the DPF but if you can have a history check on the DMF and then EGR and Inlet manifold / swirl flaps, the only other point will be injector wiring check if it is yellow and if it has been replaced with blue it is OK.

As for replacing the inlet manifold it is a DIY job for a fairly competent spanner man if you feel inclined, combine it with a thorough check of the timing belt but for £3500 you ought to be able to get a lower mileage car so barter hard

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Derek, can you explain a bit more about the injector wiring for me please mate, its one thing I ain't really looked into, cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the info Derek been looking around and it seems a fair price even with that sort of milage concidering its a 55 facelift ... Bafoo its a manual and cheers for the info. I tell you what between the 2 of you im seriously concidering if to buy or not as i must admit the NO serivice history is off putting infact there is no docs with the car apart from V5 old mot cert recipts for work that been carried out and 2 key fobs , I have looked on ebay and can pick owners wallet and booklet up relertivly cheap so if i do go for it think that might need to be my 1st purchase ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be quite honest mate, the owners handbook is not much use at all (just my opinion).
    When I got my first fault light, i consulted the book and it suggested there could be moisture in the fuel filter..........turns out it was a blocked DPF.....as a result of faulty inlet manifold!!
    Bear in mind...mine had full main dealer service history, and its still cost me big money in the 7 months of owning it!!. You'll get all the help/advice you need from other forum members....thats what I have found anyway.

Would not want to put you off buying the vec but do some reading up on here (wish I had!!) before you commit!!

By all accounts, the 8v 120bhp version is much more reliable....and not that much slower, if you believe all you read on here. Theres also the option of a re-map/tuning box to give you that bit extra!!

Thread Information