Thread: I want a bike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default I want a bike

I want to get fit and loose some weight so am going to get myself a bike, but I don't know what to get was looking at getting a Boardman Comp for £699.99 from halfords but when I went to order it in the store got advised that the Team was a lot better bike but that costs £849.99 so left halfords and went to cycle shop in scunthorpe were I work and they have a Claud Butler Antaeus that is a lot higher spec than both of the other bikes but that costs £899.99.

Now I don't mind spending the money on a good bike I will also be wanting to get a got helmet and cycle Carrier for my car I have a budget of £1000 but if I can spend Less that would be great, but I don't want to compromise on the bike.

Can I have some advice on if any of the bikes above are any good or is there a better bike out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

before you spend that kind of money are you going to use it or just leave it in a shed after a couple of rides. Id be tempted to get a sub £100 bike and if i used it and stuck to it after 6 months upgrade. With the best of intentions i have to admit - my bike is in the shed 99 % of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

got to say i bought a giant xtc4.5 for £500 and its a great bike discs a hard tail fantastic and price good id think about spending so much till you get into it or it gets dusty in garage also use thule aero bars and thule pro ride cycle carriers these are both very good and get some on e bay now and again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'd have a good look on the internet mate, Evans, JE James, etc all have some good deals on at the minute, i think 2011 bikes are starting to appear now so it'll start bringing the price of 2010 bikes down, plus if you arent too bothered about colours and small spec changes you could get a 2009 bike at a big discount. You could actually end up with a much better bike for really good money.

Good luck, hope you get fixed up soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rob 2.2dti View Post
    before you spend that kind of money are you going to use it or just leave it in a shed after a couple of rides. Id be tempted to get a sub £100 bike and if i used it and stuck to it after 6 months upgrade. With the best of intentions i have to admit - my bike is in the shed 99 % of the time.
    Great advice Rob I have been using and old 10 year old bike to go out every week end on and that is why I know its worth spending the money to get a decent bike just dont know what to get

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Forget Halfrauds, check out Evans cycles. Look at last years models, some really good savings on top makes. They were dead good, they know how to set up a bike properly.... Unlike the goons at halfrauds who fit the front forks backwards, brake leavers pointing in the air, the directional tyre's the wrong way around and then charge a premium.

I got this fella in 2007 for £750, down from £1250

There are still some of these about in the less demanded sizes (19, 20, 21) for £500.

I doubt anything Halfrauds sell could compete with that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks Birchy I will have a look

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Quote Originally Posted by gregc View Post
    Great advice Rob I have been using and old 10 year old bike to go out every week end on and that is why I know its worth spending the money to get a decent bike just dont know what to get
    I'm still using my 14 year old Marin

Although, I have upgraded the brakes gears and wheels to 2008 specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I bought a Fuji newest 2.0 2009 from evans and paid 485.00 after a bit of banter.Not bad spec
    shimano sora triple chain set,sora brakes.I changed the saddle and tyres and so far have been happywith the bike
    I would never buy this years model,always look for the bargain reductions on old stock and as said sometimes the specs can be slightly better than the repalcement model

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Check with where you work to see if they are part of the "cycle to work scheme". If they are you get a massive saving. I just bought my new bike through this Government initiative for the "Go Green" lifestyle.

By the way I bought a 2009 Specialized FSR XC Comp and it's awesome. I ride about a hundred miles a week and it's very comfy and easy to propel.

Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information