Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question Tarmac question

Hi,

The parking area outside my house is a level surface and currently block paved. It is big enough to squeeze 4 cars on (just) but i would like to get it replaced with tarmac.

Does anyone know how much they charge per square meter or has anyone had any tarmac work done recently that can give me a rough price?

This is one of them jobs that leaves you wide open to being ripped off. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Cheers!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

3 quotes, written specification of what they will do and compare, not always best to go with the cheapest gut feeling and recommendation or seeing other work is key.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

Not sure on price, but i used to have a FEW tippers and delivered to many jobs, some / a lot of contractors will use sub standard Base materials to lay the tarmac on!, thus when it moves so does your tarmac!, these materials are such as ''as dug'' but graded stone, NOT washed or made of purely 'stone', they contain clays , soils and anything thats within the ground there dug from, ive delivered some right crap over many years, often we described them as mud with stones in!, even these were delivered to main line house builders!!, insist on type 1 sub base stone and try to check by insisting to see the quarry delivery ticket if possible! MANY if not nearly all will use quarry waste type or the cheapest they can get!, AND it is ''common'' trust me for 1 material to be picked up ie 'mill waste' from the quarry and then a drivers/sub contractors ticket is then written out for the customer calling it type 1 or anything you want! THIS IS A DAILY PRATICE USED BY SOME COMPANYS. to be sure a direct delivery from the quarry its self not a sub contractor and you will get what you order. type 1 should be used for areas where traffic will travel and heavily used areas.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Just had 80sqm done at work. Had to be load bearing (vehicles on it) and came in at £70 per sqm. Proper job, dig out to right depth, proper sub base etc., and good contractors. Oh, and we core drilled it after just to check what they'd quoted for was indeed what we paid for.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I work with a few companies who lay tarmac, no sure on price as I only put the traffic management on for them. But alot of work goes into the job, vehicles, men, machines, traffic management and so on. It should not take them long to do that amount you need doing.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by gtr1000 View Post
    Just had 80sqm done at work. Had to be load bearing (vehicles on it) and came in at £70 per sqm. Proper job, dig out to right depth, proper sub base etc., and good contractors. Oh, and we core drilled it after just to check what they'd quoted for was indeed what we paid for.

£70 sqm does sound a lot but i suppose you have to factor in the digging out as well. I'm hoping (rather optimistically) that once the block paving has been removed there won't be any digging out and they can fill in the hole that is left?

Like i said, i really don't know where to start with this so all the advice is appreciated.

Thanks!¬

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

Taking a core sample would be a good thing 'BUT' that would say without doubt that the contractor was not trusted 100%, saying that who can you trust?, I would stipulate to them that (if your not available to watch them) that you will take a core sample after the work has been carried out, to the contractor therefore he should use the correct materials for the job!, by the way type 1 should be 100% stone! right down to the smallest piece of grit!, BUT!! I have known when there short of 'smalls' ie the fine material that makes up type 1, that stone is mixed at the quarry with 'sand', to make up the blend!, if anyone says different they dont know there arse from there elbow!, ive been brought up with the truck + tipper game from an 'egg', and know its +'s and -'s, all the pros' + cons', finding a 100% honest contractor using honest materials isnt that easy!. the profit in a job is often made in the materials & haulage.

Thread Information