User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could be the damage from this...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default What could be the damage from this...

I was coming back from Oxford on sunday with a VXR and a 2.0Turbo.

On the way back we hit a bridge at speed and i left the road and when the car came down it had an almighty bang.....

Does anyone know what i should be looking at apart from the Shocks/Springs.

Dont seem to have had any oil leaks so dont think sump is cracked though will check tommorow when up on ramps.

PS: Would like to point out the bridge wasnt overly big, and had no signs or anything, the opposite side was lower then the front so a small lil hump actually proved to be bigger, the VXR had 19"'s and he has a scrape on his alloys.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by vectraboyy View Post
    I was coming back from Oxford on sunday with a VXR and a 2.0Turbo.

On the way back we hit a bridge at speed and i left the road and when the car came down it had an almighty bang.....

Does anyone know what i should be looking at apart from the Shocks/Springs.

Dont seem to have had any oil leaks so dont think sump is cracked though will check tommorow when up on ramps.

PS: Would like to point out the bridge wasnt overly big, and had no signs or anything, the opposite side was lower then the front so a small lil hump actually proved to be bigger, the VXR had 19"'s and he has a scrape on his alloys.

was the speed higher than that posted ?? if so maybe if you "hit it" at the national limit you might not have taken off therefore no signs would be needed

a good job it wasnt a dogleg bend /someone coming the other way otherwise it might have been a different story

i suspect that the shocks and suspension have taken all of the impact ...thats the area i would be looking at

and i had an alfa 145 cloverleaf - a similar incident cracked the chassis in two

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Lada

Trim : Riva

Engine : 6.0 V12

Year : 1954

Mileage : 567890987

Ouch. TBH if nothing is leaking and obvious(see if you can lift the dust covers from around the shockers) you may have got away with it. One thing I noticed with the Vec is that even minor potholes do give a fair crack or thud as you go over them, its maybe just that when you landed the crack or bang was from all 4 tyres hitting at the same time and compressing the suspension, I imagine its firmer on your SRi than it is on my Ls so it my just sound worse. Checking underneath for fresh scrape marks might give you more of a clue for where to look for any further damage.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hmmm i did a similar thing not long back, my suspension creaked terribly at low speed for weeks after!

until i one day i was forced to grass verge it to give way to an ambulance, drove over a very very pitted and potholey verge, suspension never made a sound afterwards

if it creaks - take it offroading

on a serious note, just check for any unusual patches on the driveway/road after the car has sat for a while

if not you should be all clear

if your really worried then whip the wheels off and have a very careful look round the suspension components

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by deztroyer View Post
    was the speed higher than that posted ?? if so maybe if you "hit it" at the national limit you might not have taken off therefore no signs would be needed

a good job it wasnt a dogleg bend /someone coming the other way otherwise it might have been a different story

i suspect that the shocks and suspension have taken all of the impact ...thats the area i would be looking at

and i had an alfa 145 cloverleaf - a similar incident cracked the chassis in two

yes...

But the VXR was doing it and still didnt stay on the floor!

Im going to have to look a bit closer than, may have to get some Bilsteins

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Sorry to reignite an old thread but it's the only one I could find U'ing TF'ing S...

I did exactly this yesterday between Uppingham and Market Harborough on the B664.

Except that I cracked my sump and dumped all the oil on the verge

Now I don't particularly need to be flamed on here and I think I feel stupid enough as it is so if anyone can offer some *useful* advice on fixing the problem not the cause (excessive speed) then I'd really appreciate it.

I think that I'll basically need all of the part numbers shown on this page (accessed via this thread).

My questions are:
    1. what else might I need to replace in order to change the sump ie sensors, dipstick pipe etc
    2. is there a 'gasket' or is that duty taken care of by the sealing compound alone
    3. what else should I take a careful look at to see if the car is still roadworthy
    4. is replacing the sump something I can do myself? I have a Pro-Speed stainless exhaust so I'm not too sure of how everything looks on the old girl 'down there' and whether or not the 'zorst is welded or bolted etc - does this even matter?

Any ideas on where's good to shop for these bits?

Remarkably the engine was running OK after re-entry - no lights or rough sounds etc), in fact I only stopped after seeing smoke in the rear view mirror (less than 1/2 mile further on). The oil wasn't dropped in any serious qty until I stopped and the engine hasn't been run since so hopefully there isn't any internal damage. Having said this I guess at this point that the only way to know is to replace the sump and see what happens? The tyres and wheels all look OK but I haven't had any of them off to inspect the suspension yet.

Either way, if you can offer some advice I'd really appreciate it.

Some advice I can now offer you: if you think you may be going 'a little quick' for that hump bridge then you definitely are - slow down.

Apologies for the long post.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Simple case of driving too fast for the road / conditions. I've NEVER left the road and sounds like wreckless driving. Two very fast cars having the same mishap surely would be viewed as 'racing'.

Things I'd be looking for are upper mount damage to the strut top fixings, and bent arms etc

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Look at the dates (and my title about re-igniting an old thread).

Let me be clear: I was driving fast but I was not racing. I had a clear view of the road ahead and behind and there were no other cars in sight. There was signage to indicate humps and I had been over the first without incident. I had, in fact, slowed down before the second (which looked smoother in any case) but this was obviously insufficient.

As I said, I don't really need to be flamed on here. I'm aware that this was a stupid thing to do and I'm not asking for your forgiveness - simply some advice on what I should be looking for. If you don't feel you can give that without a pious statement then so be it.

I don't think you know me so I don't expect you'll be aware that whilst this was an obvious lesson it is now learned.

Thank you for your pointers.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have done this in an RAF Astra ! Well it was a major dip in a long straight on a country road rather than a hump. I ripped the sump off, however I didn't know about it until I had driven 8 miles back and it was overheating. So I took it into the MT section to have it looked at, got a call a couple of hours later asking where the sump was !

Got the "tell us what happened, as we will have to report this conversation" I fessed up to the fitter and he laughed, and said "everyone knows about that dip" well I didn't lol

He then phoned upstairs and told them that I had admitted swerving to avoid a pheasant and had went onto a verge. Got away with it, thing is all he did was out a new sump on and refill with oil and had it back the next day with no problems.

Hope you are as lucky fella.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Double post grrrrrr