Thread: turbo help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default turbo help

as im having intermittent power loss pulling away i thought i would have a check of the vacuum pipes etc and the vacuum solinoid all of which are ok and working. i disconnected the vacuum solinoid and drove around the block and no boost re connected and the boost returned.

I have had a look at the turbo actuator working and it moves abit when the car is started.but is the wastegate actuator meant to move when you rev ie opening and closing the gate. looking at it with the engine off the gate is closed and when the engine is on tickover its open? but when i rev the car it doesnt seem to move, should it move? advice please.........totally confused.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hey doug, as i understand it, the wastegate is closed at idle and steady cruise and opens when an overboost situation is about to occur, as sensed by the boost pressure sensor, to protect the engine and ancilliaries, so i guess it would be at high revs. maybe the movement you see is just the actuator taking up slack or maybe the boost control valve on the slam panel is at fault, ie, open when it shouldn't be. sounds like all the vac pipes are sound from your checks.

have you checked the boost sensor isnt crudded up, im surprised mine worked at all when i took it out to clean it, given the carp on it.
    Last edited by barney490; 27th June 2010 at 13:58. Reason: another thought

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

all clean, does the turbo have a wastegate or is it a variable vane unit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

your right doug, it is variable vane so now im thinking the actuator controls the pitch, so it could still be down to the boost control valve. ANYBODY????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

after a lot of testing it looks like it is the turbo vacuum switch. i have taken the one off my old astra h van which is the same and what a difference boost know from around 1250 rpm no sudden turbo boost just how it should be. new part is around £90 inc vat but think it is worth it. once i have the new one fitted i will report findings as im sure others may have the same prob.

The fault with my one is that it wont hold the vacuum, the unit off my old van holds the vacuum and releases once 12v is applied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

glad you might have it sorted doug. i take it your referring to the boost control valve on the right hand side of the front panel? another one for my big book of fixes.

I have a similar issue with vacuum to this valve, as oil is getting into the vacuum pump and finding its way into the small vac pipe that supplies the boost control, via the vac box at the back of the engine. New vac pump going on next Sat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep your right a variable vane turbo uses the vacuum to increase the angle of the vanes hence the vacuum pump as the throttle is depressed the vacuum is increased thus increasing the angle of attack on the vanes which are shaped like a aerofoil and this creates more boost which equals more power

Glad you found the fault

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Barney, you say oil is getting in to your vac pipe, on my vac pump take off point i have oil muck around where the thread is could this mean mine is not gone yet but on its way?
    new control valve worked a treat not totally happy with power delivery but a lot better than before ( wants to be for £90.00!)

winnie how is your breather mod going, mine is working a treat, took the boost sensor out of manifold and it is dry and clean. job done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hey doug,
    on mine its not just oil muck, when i took the small vac pipe off the vac pump, oil literaly dripped from the rubber pipe it was full all the way to the metal pipe and it was also sweating oil. two local mechanics said it was excessive and most likely the internal seal between the pump and cam housing was failing, sucking engine oil into the pump. Pump is still working, as brakes not yet affected and im goining to change the pump on Saturday as a matter of safety, i dont want it to get so bad that oil ends up in the brake servo. I am also going to remove and check the vac box, just incase oil has made it that far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers barney, would appreciate if you could let me know what is needed to change / inspect the vacuum pump, ie gaskets new bolts etc and if once removed is there any serviceable/cleanable parts. may take mine off for a routine inspection. cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information