User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch, Air con, power problems, please give comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

confused Clutch, Air con, power problems, please give comments.

Hi,
    I have just bought a 04 Vectra 2.0TDi Club.
    Very nice car, but with a few problems.
    1. If I start the car and put the air con on there is a vinegar like smell. Is there a problem here or just a coincidence? I don't know a lot about air con.
    2. When I turn the blowers/air con on if I put the temp to min or max there is a series of clicking noises coming from behind the panel that stop after a couple of seconds that don't sound quite right to me. Anyone know what the problem is?
    3. I have never driven a car with a turbo before, but don't you usually notice when the turbo comes in? The car is very slow to pick up from low revs. My previous car was a P reg renault clio that was about 60 BHP and this picks up about the same as my new Vec. Granted the Vec is obviously more powerful, just a bit sluggish to get going.
    4. In 5th if I put my foot down I can feel the clutch slipping, although only just at the moment. How much can I expect to be paying to have a new one fitted? The car is under warranty and the clutch is covered, but parts only I am afraid.
    5. In 5th Gear (when the clutch isn't slipping) the car tops out at about 3000 revs. Again, is this normal? Or am I just paranoid? In 5th Gear my Clio would happily rev its nuts off, but the Vec seems to be struggleing and that doesn't seem right to me.
    6. Of and I nearly forgot to mention, the passenger side window switch is a bit tempremental. In fact it usually doesn't work. Is it a big job to change them. How easy is it to replace?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by brotherkennyh; 25th June 2010 at 09:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should get number 6 sorted out for you. Don't think you need to replace it. It works like a treat.
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92625

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much, seems quick and easy. Will give it a go this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone have any comments on the other problems?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The air con could just be mouldy vents, run a cleaner through the car, Aldi + Home Bargains sell some for £1.99 when its in stock otherwise Halfords sell some but its pricey

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165632

The clicking might be the motor that turns the vents, mine does it when i turn on the car but i got used to it now ,you may need to change the motor it sits behind the glovebox
    Last edited by deanos; 28th June 2010 at 21:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The clicking and wirring is normal,m especially when going from one extreme to the other, it's just the flaps turning against the sections, as long as it doesn't sound like plastic cracking loudly (christmas cracker sort of snap) then nothing to worry about, especially if the sound can be repeated. if it suddenly sounds different, then worry.

The smell is unfortunately a well known problem with vectra air conditioning and can be aleviated with air con cleaner sprays, the sort you let off in the car for ten minutes or so, you can get a box of the bay for quite a good price, just cover the back of the passenger seat with a cloth and you centre console, set the air con to recirculation, open the front vents only, close the passenger side, and blow the rest towards the drivers side so that the spray can be sucked into the passenger footwell. Expect to have to wipe the windows afterwards. You may need to use two cans in a row if the air con has not been cleaned in a while, hence get a box from the bay.

The clutch there is no quick and simple way to check without splitting the gearbox from the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys, the clicking does not sound as though something is breaking, I just wasn't expecting it. Glad to hear it isn't a problem. Thankfully the Air Con has also stopped smelling all on it's own, guess it was just something to do with it standing at the dealers for a while.

Chocki, I am sure that the clutch is worn, although it's only just noticable at the moment as it only slips in 5th. How much can I expect to pay to have a new one fitted? Also does anyone know how long I can expect it to last now? how much more driving should I expect to get out of it before I must get it changed?

Does anyone have any comments on the Turbo and power?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 2.0dti. There no rockets tbh if I was racein a 1.2 corsa the corsa would prob win, mine revs over 3000 revs tho in 5th gear, clean the boost sensor and egr valve . There's how2 on here for step by step, its only got 100 bhp so aint gonna be that fast my old megane had 100 bhp and that was a 1.5dci (plastic body panals tho).

Sometimes when I start mine up first thing in the morning its as if there's no boost from turbo and once warmed up there's a boost , but on others days its as if the boost is there str8 away, I've been told there's a sensor that protects the turbo from workin properly untill engine temp is normal
    Last edited by chris1804; 29th June 2010 at 09:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris,
    Thanks very much, thats interesting. Most of my driving is only up to 15 mins and the engine is only just coming up to temp then. I will clean the sensor and egr valve to see if it helps with power any, the only thing is at the moment if I can get it above 3000 revs in 5th it's all clutch slippage, so I need to get that sorted for a decent test in 5th.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brotherkennyh View Post
    Chris,
    Thanks very much, thats interesting. Most of my driving is only up to 15 mins and the engine is only just coming up to temp then. I will clean the sensor and egr valve to see if it helps with power any, the only thing is at the moment if I can get it above 3000 revs in 5th it's all clutch slippage, so I need to get that sorted for a decent test in 5th.

is it ok in gears 1-4 going over 3000 or same as 5th? when i fist had mine it was nippy but i think ive got use to it now so to me it dont feel as good as before. Do the airbox mod aswell not that it will make a massive diff but will let more air in

whem im at lights and its a 2 lane duel carrage way when im in the 2nd land i asways think has the cae got the power to beat the other car. IMO it aint a car to go in the 3rd lane on motoway lol

i only do shourt driving to qork about 10 mins so car dont have a chane to warm up. Whats the milage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information