User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Handbrake problems

  1. #1
    Regular Member Dazzy2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Notts
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default Handbrake problems

    This car is getting beyond a joke for problems

    I left the car on the drive earlier with the handbrake fully on when i just went out the handbrake is still on but it had rolled into a post and now i have a lovely pole shaped dent on the corner of the bumper, as far as i'm aware it has had the handbrake modified but what is the best way of telling? i have a sticker on the sun visor going on about parking and assume that means its been done, Also what else would cause it to fail in such a way?

    Also does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the bumper back into shape?

    Thanks guys

  2. #2
    Full Member Big Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Is a very naughty boy
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    If the hand brake was still on then it's not failed like they were as they used to release. Maybe read the sticker and leave it in gear? Then get the handbrake fully checked out.
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

  3. #3
    Regular Member signumturbo04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SCOTLAND
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    if its just a dent in the bumper you can heat it from inside with a hairdryer and it should pop back out, depends how bad it is though

  4. #4
    Regular Member john_k_sri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Liverpool
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra

    Trim : SRI NAV XP

    Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

    Year : 2007

    Mileage : 72K

    Default

    If the hand brake recall work has been done, the brake lever should 'take' on the first or second 'notch' on releasing it and letting it 'drop'. Before the recall it was prone to 'dropping' completely to the floor on release. You can test this with the car parked, though preferably not on an incline in neutral.

  5. #5
    Regular Member barney490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PRESTON
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    i always press the footbrake, then apply the handbrake and leave in gear as a precaution.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

    Trim : Elite

    Engine : 2.0 CDTi

    Year : 2013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy2006 View Post
    i have a sticker on the sun visor going on about parking and assume that means its been done
    The sticker was sent out by post to owners of Vectras & Signums. It doesn't mean any mods have been carried out.

    No offence, but have you read what the sticker says - particularly the bit that advises to also leave the car in gear? The same advice is in the handbook, as well as getting a mention in the highway code (part 252)

  7. #7
    Regular Member Dazzy2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Notts
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    The sticker was sent out by post to owners of Vectras & Signums. It doesn't mean any mods have been carried out.

    No offence, but have you read what the sticker says - particularly the bit that advises to also leave the car in gear? The same advice is in the handbook, as well as getting a mention in the highway code (part 252)
    I am leaving it in gear from now on but i find that strange because when i passed my test leaving the car in gear was a big no no and its probably going to take a while for me to get used 2, this is the only car i have ever owned that i dont trust the handbrake on.

    Thanks for the hint with the hairdryer,i have managed to get 90% of it out but the bumper will have to come off at some point to get the last bit out.

    My handbrake comes up about 4/5 clicks , is there any way of adjusting them? the brake pads were supposidly replaced last november but the discs are looking dodgy so maybe that will also have something to do with it, this morning i pulled the handbrake on then went to the back of the car and pulled it towards me and it did a bit of groaning but moved

  8. #8
    Regular Member Dazzy2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Notts
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy2006 View Post
    I am leaving it in gear from now on but i find that strange because when i passed my test leaving the car in gear was a big no no and its probably going to take a while for me to get used 2, this is the only car i have ever owned that i dont trust the handbrake on.

    Thanks for the hint with the hairdryer,i have managed to get 90% of it out but the bumper will have to come off at some point to get the last bit out.

    My handbrake comes up about 4/5 clicks , is there any way of adjusting them? the brake pads were supposidly replaced last november but the discs are looking dodgy so maybe that will also have something to do with it, this morning i pulled the handbrake on then went to the back of the car and pulled it towards me and it did a bit of groaning but moved
    Anyone

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

    Trim : Elite

    Engine : 2.0 CDTi

    Year : 2013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy2006 View Post
    I am leaving it in gear from now on but i find that strange because when i passed my test leaving the car in gear was a big no no and its probably going to take a while for me to get used 2,
    It's advisable to start the car with your foot on the clutch as you're not having to turn over the gears in the gearbox - saves drain on the battery, which can make all the difference in winter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy2006 View Post
    My handbrake comes up about 4/5 clicks , is there any way of adjusting them?
    4 to 5 clicks is the norm.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. crusie control problems, anyone had similar problems?
    By rozzer2006 in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2nd October 2011, 21:20
  2. Anybody else had any problems with their handbrake sticking in the cold?
    By killer_bunny in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8th March 2010, 13:44
  3. 1.9 cdti auto problems problems
    By trigger in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28th September 2009, 17:20
  4. Handbrake problems
    By petrolhead55 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28th May 2008, 23:20
  5. Not Just Vectra Handbrake Problems...
    By CorsaVan in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th November 2007, 18:48

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •