Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs down ok this was a pain

my freind took my car engine to peices and said the manifold was no good so buy one and he will put on, so i did and also the motor. bits arrived today but i get a call from my missus mum(his boss) saying he had put the car back together and fixed up the bar on manifold, he is portugese and speaks a little english, why did he do that when he said we take off and put new, well it seems he said you nedd a special tool for the pulley, what tool? even still if i can get one why put it back together first, he had put the bar on and said it was ok but it is not moving now, swirl valve 3 was moving before and the bar is obviously now stop number 3 working at all so the bar is now no good and i have the new bits ready to go on

where can i get this tool and is it the woodruff key? (which i have no idea about) and now no one to put the bits on as my trust has gone in terms of the clunking when starting up since he put back together
    when i start up the engine is quite a noisy in terms of when it catches too start there is a loud clunking just as it fires up, but not when running? any ideas

starting to get real fed up now

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen1 View Post
    my freind took my car engine to peices and said the manifold was no good so buy one and he will put on, so i did and also the motor. bits arrived today but i get a call from my missus mum(his boss) saying he had put the car back together and fixed up the bar on manifold, he is portugese and speaks a little english, why did he do that when he said we take off and put new, well it seems he said you nedd a special tool for the pulley, what tool? even still if i can get one why put it back together first, he had put the bar on and said it was ok but it is not moving now, swirl valve 3 was moving before and the bar is obviously now stop number 3 working at all so the bar is now no good and i have the new bits ready to go on

where can i get this tool and is it the woodruff key? (which i have no idea about) and now no one to put the bits on as my trust has gone in terms of the clunking when starting up since he put back together
    when i start up the engine is quite a noisy in terms of when it catches too start there is a loud clunking just as it fires up, but not when running? any ideas

starting to get real fed up now

I am guessing he's on about the high preassure fuel pump pulley? a pullers kit will do the job, the woodruff key is a small key that sits on the shaft of the high preassure fuel pump and drives the pulley (it looks bit like a pound coin if you were to cut a two thirds off)
    the third swirl valve is controlled by the actuator and the bar is only there to keep the other valves running at the same position.
    If it is not moving at all now, then they are clogged up with carbon build-up and are solid so will need the new inlet manifold fitted!

these pullersoff ebay should do the job! i bought a cheaper set and they were too small but still got it done so should check to make sure these will do the job for you

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-46-P...item3efe837e6a
    Last edited by pugs,signum; 22nd June 2010 at 14:08. Reason: adding link

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by pugs,signum View Post
    I am guessing he's on about the high preassure fuel pump pulley? a pullers kit will do the job, the woodruff key is a small key that sits on the shaft of the high preassure fuel pump and drives the pulley (it looks bit like a pound coin if you were to cut a two thirds off)
    the third swirl valve is controlled by the actuator and the bar is only there to keep the other valves running at the same position.
    If it is not moving at all now, then they are clogged up with carbon build-up and are solid so will need the new inlet manifold fitted!

got the actuator and the manifold.

the 3rd valve was moving before he done his temp fix on it, though im wondering if his fix has stopped it because of what he has done
    is it possible he has put the bar on ok but the valves were turned in diff ways therefore not allowing them all to move in the direction needed and stopping the bar moving, i will take it off and see if they then move again,

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did he manage to take the inlet manifold off?

Reason i ask is because he would have to of taken the high preassure fuel pump out to remove the manifold and the timing belt runs on the fuel pump and would need taking off too!

If he aint used a timing kit then it may be out of line hence the clunking

what engine it it?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

1.9cdti 150

no he could not get it off

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

because of a special tool

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

got the actuator and the manifold.

the 3rd valve was moving before he done his temp fix on it, though im wondering if his fix has stopped it because of what he has done
    is it possible he has put the bar on ok but the valves were turned in diff ways therefore not allowing them all to move in the direction needed and stopping the bar moving, i will take it off and see if they then move again,

As stated the swirl pots clogg up and become very hard to turn hence the bar breaks off! replacing the bar may stop everything from turning (depends on how clogged the pots are)

you got the right parts for the job but its suggested that theres to be a new nut put on the high preassure fuel pump, they also recommend new fuel pipes on top of engine as these are compression fit and may leak after being removed but to be honest i used the old one and the new one was too pricey and didn't see the point in wasting more money

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

1.9cdti 150

no he could not get it off

Im with you now,
    so he must of taken the timing belt off and got stuck when having to remove the pulley, then desided to put it back together.

the clunking sounds worrying to me as he will of needed a timing kit on the 1.9cdti z19dth engine as there are NO timing marks to use.
    Id suggest getting a timing kit to make sure its all in line!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ok mate thanks, after the dmf being done and me only having it 5 weeks i aint got the money for nothing else now i brought the manifold and actuator

any idea where this nut goes or where you get it or any idea if its a must or aaarrrggghhh

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

he did show me a mark on the timing belt on the right hand side non moving peice that there is a mark and that he said was very important and siad this and this must be in line basically

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information