Thread: Aircon recharge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Smile Aircon recharge.

Had to get it done, used kwik fit , got the guy down from £49 to £39, now im sitting with outside temp of 22 degrees and my cab as low as 6-7 degrees icy cold, it was funny when my daughter said it was to cold and wanted the heating on whith the temps outside reaching 23 by now. Got a fright though after running aircon at kwik fit for temp check and there was smoke billowing from engine bay, guy at kwik fit was nervous, but it has stopped doing it now, think it was because system hasn't been used in a long while as there was no gas in it at all before recharge. All good, this is a good service as if there was a leak it wouldn't have cost me anything unlike other aircon places who will charge regardless of it working or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW e92 335d

Trim : M Sport

Engine : 3.0 TT

Year : 2008

Same for me a week ago, got mine done at Kwik Fit in Wellington, Telford. I too paid less, £44 I think instead of £49.99. Was very little gas left in mine, but when I left (roasting outside) it was ice cold! Lovely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

well the coldness was short lived, went back home had lunch and when taking my daughter to nursery, turned on air con, and it wasnt as cold and started getting warmer also i could hear a hissing sound from behind vents, took it back to kwik fit and he connected it up and said there was no high pressure and it was the compressor in his opinon that wasn't working, once i get it sorted he will regass for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

how can i test compressor. Booked into garage next wednesday, compressor covered under waranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thats why he looked nervous .......because he knew that was the refrigerant and oil starting to escape straight away

did they add a UV dye to the system ...if they did you would be able to see the leak "a. la C.S.I." and then confirm if it is indeed the Compressor

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Is it worth getting done I heard it was only worth it when the air con actually packed in? and I have also heard that you should run your AC in the winter months too as it self lubricates when its on. Is this true?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

he said the machine wouldn't even start 2 recharge if it detected a leak, so going by what he said there is no leak. Is it worth getting my money back from Kik fit, as the garage want £65 if they check car and it's not the compressor no they didn't add dye. It was icy cold for the time it was running, now there is no hissing noise and no air con but i swear i can hear the compressor kicking in and revs change, where in the engine bay do i need to look as i have read it could be the compressor cluch not engagining the the belt going round causing the smoke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Took mine to the local garage last week with a suspected compressor fault diagnosed by a dealers i purchased it from. Was Quoted £80 for a full pressure check and re-gas and dye diagnostics. Collected it three hours later, they found nothing wrong other than a loosely fitted valve and had re-gassed it.

Air con service was half price this month only so got the lot done for £24... how pleased was i :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the compressor clutch will not engage is there is insufficient gas so its a "failsafe" to prevent damage... i suspect a pipe seal has failed hence why the dye is added by main dealers when there serviced

AC should be run in the winter months as indeed it does lubricate the seals and this helps prevent the loss of refrigerant and gases...not only that it will dehumidify wet interiors and remove moisture quicker ...most people only consider AC for COLD but it does work on HEAT as well

most manufacturers recommend that the Ac is serviced every 2 years to prevent the above happening

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

so you think the smoke that was billowing out was actual air con gas, as i said before there must be a leak as the system now has no gas, if im looking at the right think the compressor is on the offside of car, left of the engine and has a belt at hte lefthand side with silvertubes comeing out of it. With engine running and air con on the belt is moving and i hear a chane in engine tone and revs, does this mean the compressor is ok. Dont want to have to fork out £65 if the dealers find out it's not the compressor and it is something else like a leak that isnt covered under waranty, along with this prob my dmf and my inlest manifold going in the last few months i've had enough of this car, guy at Kwik fit said he had done over 15 cars today and mines was the only one that caused him problems and it's not the first vec he has had problems with even the tatty old honda that was getting done before me and was double my cars age recharged without a hitch, Collected my £40 refund tonight guy was very helpfull. Whats the next steps i should take from here, i have car booked into arnold a week today, is it worth getting a dye through the system, gut feeling is that it's a leak as when it was first gassed it the temp dropped 2 6-7 degrees after about a min so that tells me the compressor was doing its job. How much should i expect to pay for a leak test, fix and recharge if its just a leak

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information