Thread: been diagnosed with diabetes type 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default been diagnosed with diabetes type 2

been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 , just wondering if there are any diabetics on the forum ? and if you have any advice thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I am have been for about 12 years. Insulin dependant - always forget if that's type one or two lol. It's easy when you get used to it and get a routine that works for you. If you have any questions pm me and I'll send you my number if you want a chat or anything - as long as I'm not in bed after one of my night shifts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

type 2 diagnosed 18 months ago on medication going on insulin soon because still cant control my levels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Energy

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 150,000

Type one is usually from birth, however type 2 usually occurs later in life...commonly around 40 yrs of age.

Type 2 can be either medication or food controlled, dependent upon how severe your particular condition is.

Medications are varied...
    General gist is to avoid too much sugar, too many potatoes, too much bread.
    (Sugars and Carbs). My wife was diagnosed with type 2 in November 2009, with a reading of "HIGH" (scale only went upto 28, and she was in excess of this)
    Ideal readings should be between 4 and 8!!.

Fortunately she doesn't need to have insulin injections...she has a fluid injection called Victosa, which successfully stimulates her body into producing it's own insulin.

Despite having Diabetes, she eats quite "normally" without too much adversity...but I would recommend being aware of what is / is not suitable...even stuff like mushy peas and baked beans, which are both said to be big no nos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

Quote Originally Posted by Robsey View Post
    Type one is usually from birth, however type 2 usually occurs later in life...commonly around 40 yrs of age.

Type 2 can be either medication or food controlled, dependent upon how severe your particular condition is.

Medications are varied...
    General gist is to avoid too much sugar, too many potatoes, too much bread.(Sugars and Carbs). SNIP

Despite having Diabetes, she eats quite "normally" without too much adversity...but I would recommend being aware of what is / is not suitable...even stuff like mushy peas and baked beans, which are both said to be big no nos.

My wife also diagnosed type 2, around 18 months ago. As above, can be purely diet controlled, can need tablets (often Metformin). It does slowly get worse, especially if you don't watch your weight. Insulin is a last resort if it's verging on type one
    If you already eat healthily you won't notice much difference, the main thing is eat little and often, don't skip breakfast - can get some nice fruity porridge flavours. Go for slow energy release foods, wholemeal everything (bread, pasta), avoid syrupy stuff like tinned fruit juice. You'll get referred to chiropodists and opticians more, as it comes with diabetes. There's a good website, think it's Diabetes UK. if no -one else puts it up I'll ask my wife.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0cdti 160bhp

Year : 2010

Mileage : 92274

my sister,dad and step mother both have type 2 diabetes,my step mother now has to use insulin to lower her sugar levels,otherwise you control your blood sugar level by your diet,as to what you need to do that is down to you and your doctor,you need to do regular blood tests and so long as your sugar levels stay normal then you dont need to do nothing,otherwise you will need tablaets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My wife is type 1 (insulin dependant) and has been for 25 years now since her teens. Anyone diabetic may or may not know about DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) Despite my wife being a long term diabetic we had not heard the term until last christmas so here's a few words about what happened.

My wife, Andrea, was feeling ill the weekend before christmas, sickness and flu like but not too bad. On the monday she felt worse and spent the day wrapped up on the sofa to keep warm. monday night when I got in from work she was still groggy, sick a couple of times during the evening and decided to spend the night on the sofa with her bucket. I woke up tuesday morning, went downstairs, no sign of her looked around and found her in the spare room, on the floor unconcious

Thought she'd hypo'd (blood sugars low) but no way to get glucose into her as she was out cold. Fretted about, found her acucheck blood sugar meter and did a test. Found her sugars were off the scale, not low but way high. Called 999 and a first responder paramedic arrived he assessed her as critical and called for an ambulance to attend sharpish. Took a while as this was when we had snow.

she was taken to Gloucester royal hospital, me following and assessed at A&E, I was taken into a little room and told to use the phone and call anyone who needed to know, she was very critical and could die. Luckily the doctors managed to stabilise her and she began to respond after a couple of hours, she was transferred to their high dependancy unit and was in a diabetic coma for a week followed by 2 further weeks recovering in hospital. Luckily, because the weather was so cold and the heating wasn't on overnight at our home she had gone hyperthermic which shut her body down. That alone saved her from at least brain damage and at most saved her life.

Until that time keytones had never been mentioned to her. They can build up very quickly, especially when diabetics are ill. If you are diabetic make sure you check your sugars regularly, if you are often in double figures with high sugars you are at risk from DKA and it can quickly become life theatening. The drop with Andrea was so sudden we nearly lost her in a matter of hours. Your diabetic clinic can give you a keytone test kit. It's as simple as dipping a test strip into a urine sample. Ask for one and if you get ill with a flu virus or other bug, test yourself. It takes seconds and might be the thing that saves your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have a collegue who was diagnosed with it 6 years ago, he believes he has had it longer but did'nt know about it until his Pilot's medical found keytones in his urine. Uncontrolled sugar levels can lead to the small blood vessels in your eyes and kidneys becoming damaged, amongst other problems, and will be life threatening if not treated.

He has had laser work on the eyes to prevent the bleeding, also his kidneys are working at 60% of their normal rate, they are damaged but the drugs have stabalised them for now. Remember prevention is better than the cure, watch the sugar levels but don't go too low either.

Also you should report this to the DVLA and your insurance company. If you have an accident and they find out you are Diabetic, they won't pay out. You can lead a fairly normal life if you keep this is control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've been type 2 for 5 years now. I was first diagnosed when I went for my regular cholesterol check, and the doctor asked me how I was. I said I was exhausted, and she ticked another box on the form to check my blood glucose. A few days later, I was officially a diabetic.
    I managed until recently with diet and exercise, but I've just been prescribed Metformin to keep it down.
    It's not the end of the world. Grab a copy of a book called "Type 2 diabetes -the first year" It has loads of useful information in it.
    It's easy to get fed up when you've been diagnosed -especially when you're trying to buy travel or life insurance but you can live pretty much as normal with a careful eye on your diet and lots of exercise.
    My regime is dictated by a Tibetan Terrier! (see attached) She doesn't let me not get exercise
    Mind how you go -PM if you want to chat about it.

Phil

Thread Information