Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI hatch

Engine : z19dth

Year : 2006

Mileage : 110000

Default dodgy gear lever

hi all,
    Has anyone experienced their gearbox going stiff when moving it from side to side. it wont return to the neutral position (between 3rd and 4th) when released out of gear.goes in and out of gear ok when stationary but my sister (whose car it is) says it struggles to engage 1st and 2nd.

Its an F40 in a 55 plate Elite estate with about 59000 on clock 1.9cdti150 by the way.

any pointers appreciated
    Thanks Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mine is doing exactly the same, asked for advice previously http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96067 but unfortunately no joy and over the winter it has gradually got worse. I am going to change the gear linkage cable in about a fortnights time when I am next off work in the hope it solves the issue. I have also tried changing the gearbox oil and only succeeded in making the gear change smoother.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for that mate,

I notice you mentioned yours started after it had been stood a few days, this one exactly same my Bro in Law in Army and he said it was ok before he went on an exercise but when he returned a few weeks later it was stiff. Do you reckon it is the cables that get gunked up then or the actual selector mechanism? I also thought along the lines of low gear oil. especially as the car has around the same time had new front springs fitted which would obviously mean disturbing the drive shafts.
    Last edited by clightowler; 12th June 2010 at 22:24. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm hoping on the cables as an easy fix but just working my way back to the selecter mechanism at the moment. I'm going to be tackling the cables on the 24th along woth the front strut bearings. Then if it's the selector will get the garage to sort it I think, it looks fairly simple it's just if things go wrong it worries me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

[quote=clightowler;1274445]Thanks for that mate,

I notice you mentioned yours started after it had been stood a few days, this one exactly same my Bro in Law in Army and he said it was ok before he went on an exercise but when he returned a few weeks later it was stiff. Do you reckon it is the cables that get gunked up then or the actual selector mechanism? I also thought along the lines of low gear oil. especially as the car has around the same time had new front springs fitted which would obviously mean disturbing the drive shafts.[/quote]

you dont go anywhere near the drive shafts to change the front springs , there on seperate units that bolt on above the hub

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

[quote=marktaylor;1275379]
    Quote Originally Posted by clightowler View Post
    Thanks for that mate,

I notice you mentioned yours started after it had been stood a few days, this one exactly same my Bro in Law in Army and he said it was ok before he went on an exercise but when he returned a few weeks later it was stiff. Do you reckon it is the cables that get gunked up then or the actual selector mechanism? I also thought along the lines of low gear oil. especially as the car has around the same time had new front springs fitted which would obviously mean disturbing the drive shafts.[/quote]

you dont go anywhere near the drive shafts to change the front springs , there on seperate units that bolt on above the hub

Depends how it is done, if the entire strut is removed for ease then the driveshaft needs disconnecting at the hub end or from the gearbox. a big IF the shafts were not supported then the driveshaft oil seals could have been damaged.

Also as an update have disengaged the cables from the gearbox and they move freely so it is def gearbox end problem, just need to try remove the selecter mechanism from the top to lube it up.

on another note.. my sister asked me what that rattling sound was when she pressed the clutch pedal down..........
    Last edited by clightowler; 14th June 2010 at 11:42. Reason: addition

Thread Information