User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Temperature Gauge reading - AGAIN!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Temperature Gauge reading - AGAIN!

Hello all,
    a bit of help would be good before I tear my hair out. My cars a 2006 Vectra Sri 1.8VVT (45000 miles and full VXSH). Late last year it developed what I thought was a thermostat problem as the car temperature gauge wasn't moving from rest even at 60mph speeds for a 25 mile journey. The car was booked in at a garage who replaced what they termed the 'heater switch' (I think it was the Engine Coolant Sensor) this cured the problem and engine temperature returned to smack bang in the middle of the gauge (90 degrees) and was warm within 10 minutes of a cold start.
    Over the last few months the same problem has started to occur only this time its intermittent - the car sometimes warms up as normal but then drops to cold if I take my foot off the accelerator and coast down a hill for example or if i'm lightly accelerating due to traffic flow. I expect a slight drop but not to go from 90 deg to registering nothing in the space of a few hundred yards when going down hill. It then will take an age to rise again if at all and is tending to float more between nothing and 80 degrees.
    I took it back to the garage but the day I booked it in the car started to run normal again! 90 deg and all well with a constant readout. Garage said they could find no fault and off I went again.
    Well now the problems back and if anything its worse fluctuating between no reading and 80 degrees, the car seems to have a very slight flatspot at about 3000rpm as well, more noticable in 3rd gear. No warning lights are on though.
    I did a cold start today, leaving the coolant expansion cap off and the car did start to warm up after about 10 minutes with both the top hose and bottom hose feeling warmish, I squeezed the top hose to try and expell air but all it did was make the fluid in the expansion tank bubble as I squeezed. Replaced cap and left it at that.
    Does anyone think it could be a sticky thermostat? I'm unsure but I hope to get it resolved as I look after my car and this issue is spoiling an otherwise relatively good car.

Sorry for the long post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you ever find out what the problem was since I have almost identical symptoms.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This seems quite a common problem. I'm sure that a 'temperature guage' search will find you some answers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

temperature guage is what i searched. It would be very good post to put the remedy in as the first post explains in detail. Rather than the usual helpfull search answers.

I found this thread by search and its identical to my problems. It would have been informative to have a constructive answer here as it would have helped at least two people out. Ill hit the search till i find my answers.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same problem in my 1.8, it was the stat/temp sender, try this,, block two thirds of the raidotor with some card or ply, turn the heater and fan OFF, GO for a blast (i left mine in third gear at 4000 rpm) the temp guage should go over 85/90, as soon as it does turn heater on and fan on full (and remove card if you wish) now drive normal the temp guage should drop quite quickly down 70 degrees if it does this it is the stat stuck open and you need a new one. rgds ANT.

Thread Information