Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Getting a new key

Good day all,

I bought my Signum with only one key (and no car pass for that matter).

I would really like a second key (prefferably a flip key).

I have searched the forum and read lots of posts about buying keys on ebay etc - that is what I intended to do, but I'm now having second thoughts.

I know I will need to get a car pass from a dealer and that regardles if I buy a key from dealer or from ebay, that I will need to have it paired to the car.

I am not sure what ket type I need - the car is a 2004 model registered in 2005, it has a key with the number 105 on the blade, horseshoe type key but no chip in it as seen in some e-bay photos

In summary, I'm not too sure what to do - is it worth trying to diy a new key or not?
    Please wait
    Image not available

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Toyota

Trim : Yaris Hybrid

Engine : 1.5 Hybrid

Year : 2021

Mileage : 5525

some dealers only charge £65 for new key and programming .HTH worth cking yours

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Its a bit of minefield when it comes to keys!

I only had one key and i did a fair bit research into getting a new key. I had a 3 button horseshoe key. No Transponder chip. They are for the older Vauxhalls. The transponder is now on the chip boards within the key. Vauxhall dont sell the horseshoe key now. Its now a 3 button flip key instead and they wanted £120. From what I have learnt from my research you cant buy an old vectra C horeshoe key and reprograme it.

What I did was find a BLANK 3 button flip key on ebay. The spec was:

MAKE=DELPHI 13.214.969
    433MHZ
    G3-AM433TX V1.0

and also found a guy who sells the blades for £10 who will cut it to the code that you give him from the car pass. (the 105 on your blade isnt the key code)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-REMOT...item3cac59e06b

I then put the blade in the new key and it was ready to be paired with my car. You could take it vauxhall to pair it or an automtive locksmith but if you have a certain piece of software that is occasionally mentioned on this forum then you can do it yourself.

I was quite paitient and waited for a blank key to come up as auction (instead of buy it now) as I got it for £14.

There is a guy on ebay who sells the blank key and will cut it for £50 (obviously supplying him you key code from the car pass).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VECTRA-C-SIGNU...item3a5abcfd1b

If you are going to code it yourself then it may be worth buying from him but if you are going to get Vauxhall or an automotive locksmith to code it for you then you'd be better off getting the whole lot from Vauxhall.

Hope this helps you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I forgot to add that I deleted the old code for the missing key from the cars ECU so if the key ever did turn up it wouldn't be able to start the car. Reccomend you do the same weather you do it yourself or get vauxhall to do it.

Unfortunately you cant delete just the one code though. You have to delete all of them and then recode the keys you have. It was a tight sphincter moment when I deleted them all for the first time ever!

NOTE you can only re-code a key that has already been coded to your vehicle. You cant re-code a 2nd hand key bought of ebay. The old vehicles details are hard coded into the key and cant be over written once coded to that particular vehicle.
    Last edited by Innes; 20th May 2010 at 14:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well thank you for such swift and detailed replies!

I have paid for the car pass (ordered it at lunch) £23.50 - just recieved a txt to say it is ready to pick up (like they couldn't have just printed it and gave it to me there and then me thinks.......

I have ordered some software and think I'll give it ago - but yes - tight sphinctur moment it will be.

One dealer wanted £20+VAT for pass, £57+VAT for Key and £31+VAT for making it work.
    Other dealer said £125+VAT all in.

I may well get the key from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT for £45.

It's crazy how many people are selling spare keys on ebay, obviously knowing that they are pretty musc useless....

How much did you pay for the blank 3 button key?

(I might even try installing a tow bar and getting all the lights etc to work next......)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The guy selling the flip key and cutting it is well worth the money, i wanted to buy one a few months back and i e-mailed him and at the time he just could'nt get a hold of them, these have opel badges they must be sourced from abroad.

I ended up buying mine for £45 from the dealer and coding it myself with some software which i think you know about

But if you cant get a good price for the key from the dealer i would'nt hesitate in buying it from the guy on ebay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW e92 335d

Trim : M Sport

Engine : 3.0 TT

Year : 2008

Will that key work for a 2007 model?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I paid £14 for mine on an auction rather than a buy-it-now but if you're not as patient or a tight-arse like me then buy it for £45 fro mthe chap on ebay. It has an opel badge on it as I believe he sources them from germany. Mine was a UK selle rso I have a Griffin on mine :-).

With regards to the facelift models, I'm not sure. When doing my research a few people mentioed they had 3 button remote but the 3rd button didnt work on the boot. To be honest that may be a question for Vauxhall as I'm not 100% sure.

I had asked some of the sellers on ebay how I could reprogramme their 2nd hand keys and one said ' I sell loads, they can be reprogrammed' and another sent me instructions how to do it but I really dont thinl it would work on the Vectra-C (maybe Vectra B?) it was along the lines of 'insert key, turn to II, press button for 5 seconds, turn key blah blah blah... Pretty sure that wont work so dont try it folks!

NOTE - If you are going to DIY this then code the new key first. If it codes correctly THEN delete all the transponders in the ECU. You can then reprogramme the keys you have. That way the missing key can never be used. I also found that you have to close the software after each key was coded as I kept getting an error.

DISCLAIMER - If you are to scared to do it then dont. Get someone who has done this before. As mentioned it can be a real sphincter moment!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think may be the £45 cut key is best for me - so many keys on ebay have no internal parts etc. Well I've got my key code now, so I'll be patient (a tight-arse) for while on e-bay but will probably just end up getting the £45 one.

Thanks for your help - all of the programming seems easy enough so I will give it a go, I mean, what's the worst thing that could happen......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No point waiting go for it lol. That guy is the only seller ive ever seen who supplys new and gets them cut to your key code and his price has always been £45, if anything the price will go up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information