User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Burglar Alarm Help needed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default House Burglar Alarm Help needed!

Hi all,

disconnected the upstairs lighting circuit yesterday to fit a fan light above our bed for when Sharon got out of Hospital, but found that my burglar alarm was wired into this circuit!

Now, every time I switch the circuit back on, the alarm goes ape****. Putting the code in seems to confuse it further! Any ideas what to do? Giving it a whack with a big hammer has been my best idea up to now. Typically they let Sharon out early, so she's on the bed trying to sleep as I type. Thankfully her sister is on hols at the moment, so I 'borrowed' a fan from their house to try and keep her as cool as possible while she recouperates.

Obviously I don't have any upstairs lights at the moment, The last thing I need is for her to get up in the night, not able to see the Black cat asleep on our dark blue landing carpet......

All help very gratefully recieved!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Could it be the back up battery has failed? How long has it been in? We find that ours needs replacing roughly every 2 years as it stops recharging itself properly and sets the alarm off randomly, could be that disconnecting the circuit has flattened the battery and it's not charging back up??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What panel is it...and how old is it..i take it that there is no battery ?

Regards

Daz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When you fitted the fan light i surpose the wiring to the fan is slighlty different. It sound's like your alarm needs a permanent feed and whilst fitting the fan light you have seperated that. when turning the light on you are reconnecting the alarm circuit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if your house is new build, it sounds like they have taken a shortcut and wired in to the nearest spot. I've heard others having their alarm wired into the boiler circuit!

Get whoever installed it (if you had them do it) to come back and do it properly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Many alarm panels have a way to reset them back to the factory default settings, often by the way of a link in the main panel. If you have the instructions then you can re do all of your codes, settings etc. If you don't have the instructions try a search on the net or give me the details. It's strange as most alarm panels store the codes in a NVM so even with total power disconnection all your settings are kept. If you have a battery on it diconnect it first before applying mains power.

Regards

Daz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No idea how old the alarm is, it was there when we moved in! The only panel I know of is the keypad by the door, which is slightly damaged due to my lack of patience with things I don't undertand. There is a plain grey box concealed in one of the Kitchen cupboards, could this be what I'm looking for?

Cheers for the replies so far!

edit;

Just found another bit of paper, The control panel is a Veritas, it was installed in '97. Tried ringing the Helpline no last night, went through to a fax machine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If this has only happened since the light has been fitted then i dont think it's the grey box you need. You might be better at taking the light fan back down and putting it back to how it was then trying again.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The light has nothing to do with it, It's just they've tapped onto the circuit for upstairs lights to power the alarm, when I had it off yesterday to fit the light, it obviously went off, except for a buzzing and wailing sound from a box downstairs, for about 15 minutes. Now when you put the power back on, it makes the same noise for about 10 mins, then the whole lot goes off! Like I say, the keypad seems to haveno effect on it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi,

Common problems with veritas panels, after powercut the whole thing goes haywire. We have changed several over the last few years due to this very problem. Will almost certainly need to be 'factory defaulted'. I will see if i can dig out the old and dusty manual. Might be better to get a new accenta 8 from ade, cheap and reliable. Veritas a bit old now.

Regards

Daz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information