0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default advice please, car been into dealer

having a prob with poor mpg with my vrctra 1.9 cdti 150. ive posted a few times seeking advice and decided to let vx look at it as its still under warranty. i rang dealers last week and told them the prob. car never goes above 38mpg average even when ive did a few long distance motorway journeys a few weeks ago. so the guy on the phone said no prob bring it in and they would look at it. finished work early today (and now wont get paid a full day) to take the car only to be told they wouldn't look at the car until i had a few tests myself. he said i need to fill the tank to the brim and re set everything then when fuel light starts flashing note down the total miles ive done on that tank. ok so maybe it was silly of me not to try this but i thought if on one tank i did alot of motorway miles then fill the tank again and then say do alot of round town driving id get two totally different readings. Am i in the wrong here ( please be honest if I'm being thick lol ) In a nut shell i thought in the 3 or 4 month ive had the car and the mix of motorway and town driving ive done i should be seeing well over 38mpg. sorry to keep harping on about this fault. what do you guys think please. cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should be getting more yes!! just around town i get about 44mpg driving steady and around the 50 mark on a motorway if i was you i would have told them you have already done that!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They want to know if you are reading the fuel computer or calculating it manually. Makes sense to do this type of thing so they can work out where to look - if at all!
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wish i had told them id done it, but if he'd of asked me how many miles i get to a full tank i wouldnt know. like i say ive just been looking at the average mpg. i re set it most times i re fuel but never goes above 38mpg.like i said i did feel a bit of a pleb not doing that test before i took it in but i just know there must be a prob as ive been driving it like my grandad for weeks now just to see if it improves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The dealership could have discussed that without you having to leave the car, and they could then have investigated based on the evidence you supplied...

I really do wonder if some dealerships are more interested in "ramp time" and this certainly does sound like such a case

I've been to my dealership a few times where I have simply discussed what the issue is, and what evidence they would ideally like to have before I leave the car with them
    The warning lights issue I had was one such case, I went to the dealership on the day it happened the second time
    They were prepared to put the car on TEC2, but were almost certain nothing would come up
    They therefore opened up a job number and put in my details, and that I would return within 12 months or the job would be closed
    About five weeks later the fault occured again, took a photo, and drove in
    Again, no fault codes were stored, but they looked at the photo and agreed there was indeed a fault that needed investigation, so the car was booked in for investigation

So the key is evidence and proof, otherwise the dealerhips is just going to "guess"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rob warrington View Post
    i wish i had told them id done it, but if he'd of asked me how many miles i get to a full tank i wouldnt know. like i say ive just been looking at the average mpg. i re set it most times i re fuel but never goes above 38mpg.like i said i did feel a bit of a pleb not doing that test before i took it in but i just know there must be a prob as ive been driving it like my grandad for weeks now just to see if it improves.
    If you don't know how many miles its done to a tank then the comp could be out. You can see what they are trying to acheive.
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    The dealership could have discussed that without you having to leave the car, and they could then have investigated based on the evidence you supplied...

I really do wonder if some dealerships are more interested in "ramp time" and this certainly does sound like such a case

I've been to my dealership a few times where I have simply discussed what the issue is, and what evidence they would ideally like to have before I leave the car with them
    The warning lights issue I had was one such case, I went to the dealership on the day it happened the second time
    They were prepared to put the car on TEC2, but were almost certain nothing would come up
    They therefore opened up a job number and put in my details, and that I would return within 12 months or the job would be closed
    About five weeks later the fault occurred again, took a photo, and drove in
    Again, no fault codes were stored, but they looked at the photo and agreed there was indeed a fault that needed investigation, so the car was booked in for investigation

So the key is evidence and proof, otherwise the dealerhips is just going to "guess"
    i agree with you on that. like i said i should of known better. i repair boilers for a living and it does my head in when the first little blip or tiny fault customers are on the phone, only to arrive at the job and all is weel. but thats why i rang them and asked for there advice, and the advice was bring the car in so i did. ive filled the car to brim now and re set everything so once the fuel light starts flashing at me ill note down how many miles its done on that tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    If you don't know how many miles its done to a tank then the comp could be out. You can see what they are trying to acheive.

defo, i understand that. wish they would of told me that on the phone though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could be something as simple as a clogged air filter and that is easily checked, or possibly a brake that is binding a bit. Has the car had a recent service?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rapala View Post
    It could be something as simple as a clogged air filter and that is easily checked, or possibly a brake that is binding a bit. Has the car had a recent service?
    i bought the car with 16k on it and its done 17 1/5 now i think it was serviced at 14k. ive had a look at the air filter and it seems fine, doesnt look brand new but its not black

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information