Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default So it begin's

I will attempt to run a progress post as I go through this with my Vectra, but here is the before picture.

Now on the face of it the car looks very very presentable, being deep glossy black Sapphire and shiny, however as the next set of pictures will show appearances can be deceptive as the car is quite badly covered in carwash linear swirls front to rear and across the rear the rear bumper and area right where your leg rubs the side sill was especially spider swirled.

I have chosen not to use a DA as it has been many years since I used one in anger, and would hate to get this wrong on such a young and personally liked car, so it is going to be elbow grease on this so it will be a long job.

The weapons used are a Chemical Guys 3 in 1 cutting polish as it is incredibly fine and works well by hand (T-cut is NOT getting close to this car as that stuff is way too abrasive for the soft lacquer of the Vx) Then Cherry wet wax as this is ever so slightly abrasive, then a Autosmart Gold Carnauba wax to bring her up.

Firstly, I had to clean her after a week of running about, so I used a 20:1 dilution of Autosmart G101 on the bug's on the screen nose and mirrors, and a 10:1 on the wheels.
    Pressure wash after a soak for a couple of minutes used at a very oblique angle to wash away debris not grind it into the car! did the rear arches as I noted they were quite heavily contaminated when I was painting the calipers, then a general hose over.
    I always use a two bucket method to wash my cars and this one is no different, so I made up a soapy solution of car shampoo & wax (just a general Simoniz one) and my brand new sheepskin wash mit and started from the roof down hosing each area as I completed it. Into the rinse bucket to clean off any debris that remains but I find at this time of year it is not too dirty at the finish!
    I switch mits to an older one for the sill's and under edges of the bumpers etc and use an old sponge for the arch edges.

I then spray a 10:1 solution of G101 again on the wheels and switching to a cloth wash mit and 1/2" soft brush do around the wheel nut's and each spoke, I broke my last wheel brush so cannot do the rim internals right now but usually have a cone brush to do the insides as well and finally use the brush on the calipers to keep them shiny.

I still use a silicone blade and this time was no different on the glass and light on the body, I have never had a bad experience personally but am very very light in my use of the blade.

I then decided to start at the rear as this was the area I could see best with the Sodium focus light I use to expose the swirling, and I got some cotton stockinette and the Chemical Guys 3in1 and started on the flat surface of the tailgate. It was quite visibly marked and I knew if I could eradicate them from here I would be able to work the whole car. No sooner had I started than so did the rain, however this is not a big problem as, I worked the polish in until I felt it start to go off under my hands and got quite a bit of effort going I was letting the rain assist in adding extra lube and it worked very well.
    To remove? well that was with another piece of cotton stockinette but with the rain? well I wiped it to a point, enough of a point then with another spray bottle of car shampoo approx 20:1 dilution I sprayed the panel, then used another sheepskin mitt and washed the area over and rinsed. Thus has worked very neatly and before I got totally hacked off with the increasing rain manased to complete the entire rear bumper hatch and n/s rear quarter.

The results I have got so far and apologies for no pics but the rain was beating me to the punch, is a complete level of correction that satisfies me. I cannot see the damage anymore and now will set about building up a very heavy layer of polish and glaze then wax until I have the depth of shine all over the car I am happy with. I plan to add pictures of before and during to this post but here is one before pic.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2.0l CDTi Bi-Turbo Insginia Sports Tourer

Trim : Vx Line Nav Sri

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2014

Looks good. A before and after would be good, for the corrected areas.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I will be doing as many before shots as I can the rain prevented really clear pictures but under Sodium light the swirls are easy to spot and the corrected areas easy to follow.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Righty tighty then folks, Here is the paitwork prior to correction but loaded with dealer polish goop and washed only the once by me yesterday. Today I brought the car out and used the 10:1 car shampoo/ soft water (Scottish tap water is very low in Calcium if you live in a hard water are then try to use De-ionised water for this purpose) solution to wipe the car free of dust, I then used the Chemical Guys 3 in 1 as it is quite abrasive but less so than t-cut, and was about as strong as I needed for the worst areas.

I then found on the panels such as the one in this picture I was able to use a 50:50 mix of the CG's 3in1 and Zymol cleaner wax as it was just enough with a decent effort to cut through to the swirls and the results can be seen in the next posts.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

After I used thre cutting polishes, I then ran over the whole car again with Cherry wet wax fro Chemical Guys, again this is micro abrasive and took out the rest of the imperfections, then CG's Butter wet wax as it is non-abrasive.

A coating of XXX Hard Core carnauba paste wax then finally the flat surfaces were done with Autosmart Carnauba Gold. I used cotton cloth as the main removal tool and towelling sponges as applicators. I allowed them a few minutes to flash off and worked panel to panel. On the last two stages I removed with clean cotton cloth then ran over the car with a Microfibre cloth to lift dust and also the shine and the results I have to be honest I am very pleased with considering the first picture above.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The maintenance regime for this is a high quality shampoo (I use CG's stuff and will be replacing that like for like) I use a two bucket method and shall re-apply the XXX Hard core and carnauba gold at least fortnightly through the summer as these are the ones that build depth of protection IMHO.

Next step is a wax program for the rims and then move on to the interior, so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,more to come,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great work!

Thread Information