Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Tyres again again not again!!

I like reading about tyres and it is something that I think I know something about (I am old, so I have had many cars and many tyres)
    But I read so many conflicting reports on the same tyres I start to wonder about what we really know.
    One thing I keep noticing is that 1 or 2 bad experience with a brand of tyre tends to put us off for life (in my case Michelins) and we make huge sweeping statements about that brand (in my case skittish in the wet)
    I read other things like I came of the road or I went in to the back of someone or I nearly lost it in a set of those.
    Now we all know the poor condition of the roads in the UK added to that the amount of oil, diesel, petrol and other slimy stuff that can turn up on any corner (one of the reasons I don’t ride a motor-bike anymore)
    We all know that some people drive in a way that no tyre however good would have stop the accident.
    Tyres also change as they wear (some more then others) but they all change. So judgements are all based on different wear levels.
    Added to that we get bad batches of tyres from time to time like the Goodyear ntc (above average general tyre used by millions, but now Imo unfairly hated by many)
    All these things should Imo be taken into account when reading about tyres. Maybe we should be looking a little bit more at the black and white stuff like tyre wear and tyre noise or magazine reviews on brake test or maybe when we judge a tyre we should also consider other reason why that tyre did not perform.
    I don’t think these days that you can really buy a dangerous tyre the economy brands are much closer to the big brands now and most of the time we are talking about fairly small performance advantages.
    One of the reasons company’s now try to push the fuel economy aspect.
    Wear and noise it seems can still be a big issue.
    It is good to read opinions and experience on tyres and all are valid, but when buying it could be a good idea to take those opinions with half an eye on some of the other stuff above ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

good post.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I only ever base my opinions on my own hands on experience of tyres, never generalise nor catagorise based on cheapness as it has been only by doing this have I learned and been able to offer thoughts

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I wrote this before I read about what seems to be another bad batch of Goodyear ntc tyres. Once or twice is understandable with such large amounts sold, after much reading and the high prices charged for them, It is now getting hard to judge them in a good light.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ive only ever bought the cheaper tyres available because my driving doesnt warrant spending 150odd quid a corner on performance tyres to tootle around at normal everyday driving. my last 2 tyres were 52.50 each and perform well enough for my style of driving

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I totally agree

I fitted Goodyear tyres to the Signum, but after about 6000 miles my front tyres were shot

OK so my tracking must be way out which caused it, but I never rated them as good as they could have been

Only when I got my tracking checked did it show that the tracking was perfect so not to blame, so must have been the tyres

while at the tyre fitters, a new Jag pulled in with knackered rear tyres (Dunlop SP), but his rear tyres and my front tyres looked exactly the same

looking over the top of them there was a definate curve, almost like an upside down crescent

now I know Dunlop and Goodyear are the same company, so im guessing that they must have had a batch of tyres that werent up to scratch, cos tyres shouldnt wear down the way they had

And like yourself, I've never been fan of Michelin, but after reading rave reviews about them, I bit the bullet and got some Primacy HP, all I can say is WOW..........the car really does stop shorter, and just to make sure its not me, I didnt mention to the missus about the tyres, and she come back after a trip to Portsmouth over the weekend and said the brakes are superb, what have I done to them?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 v6

Year : 2004

Mileage : 110,000

"And like yourself, I've never been fan of Michelin, but after reading rave reviews about them, I bit the bullet and got some Primacy HP, all I can say is WOW..........the car really does stop shorter, and just to make sure its not me, I didnt mention to the missus about the tyres, and she come back after a trip to Portsmouth over the weekend and said the brakes are superb, what have I done to them?"

Makes you wonder how hard and fast she was driving to find out the brakes were superb
    3.2 v6 Signum and loving it

http://www.freewebs.com/johnsdutton/

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Focus

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 1.6 TDCI

Year : 62

Mileage : 9K

Michelin hp are superb and the older pilot primacy are just as good.

My last set on the rears lasted 45k pilot primacy and are now on primacy HP. My fronts are coming to the end and have done 26k and again pilot primacy. Excellent tyre life and superb handling.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i used these on the ondeo i had a good price at 55 quid fitted and they are a good tyre for a cheap price tread is very deep and they handle very well too with good grip i cant complain at all about these never mind the brand all tryes are made to a minimum spec for saftey so crack on and get some lol

http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/ts/sea...de=2254517WL2Z

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsdutton View Post

Makes you wonder how hard and fast she was driving to find out the brakes were superb
    Thats the thing though, shes not a fast driver atall, and rather annoyingly she manages 45 mpg, but me being an advanced driver, i still struggle to get in the 30s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information