Thread: 2.2 Direct Automatic worry!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.2 Direct Automatic worry!

Hi all, just after some friendly advice regarding the transmission on my 2.2 Direct Vectra Estate.

To begin with I've got a light appeard on the dash, which looks like a brake pad warning light, but instead of constant brake pad symbols around a solid drum they are intermitted or dashed line symbols around a drum?

Also, since this has appeared, when I put my foot on the brake pedal to put it into drive I hear a high pitched whine, which soon stops, only does is soon after I've started the engine. Any ideas?

The other worrying problem I have is to do with the transmission itself. Had the car a couple of years now and it's been regularly serviced by a Vauxhall dealership so have assumed THEY have been checking the tranny oil levels!.

Anyway, after a couple of long'ish journeys recently it's develops a constant whine when moving, increases in pitch the faster you go, and decreases in pitch as you slow down. Sounds like a bearing or something whining but am hoping it's something less expensive!!

Also, around 50mph, it's constantly changing up and down and up and down a gear, as if it cannot decide what gear it should be in. You can see the tacho needle jumping up and down as it's constantly changing gear.

Also sometimes it'll select 6th gear (or whatever gear is after 5th, overdrive etc) and it'll stuggle to keep up or accelerate, then jumps down to 4th.

I don't push the car too hard and now only fill up with Shell petrol as I had another issue 18 months ago with supermarket fuel constanly shutting the engine down!

I've seen on one post regarding the green plug at the front of the transmission indicating this is the dipstick for the tranny oil, so am gonna have a look at that soon.

The brakes I can change, I think, easy enough job, but automatic transmission problems sound really expensive!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Eminox View Post
    Hi all, just after some friendly advice regarding the transmission on my 2.2 Direct Vectra Estate.

To begin with I've got a light appeard on the dash, which looks like a brake pad warning light, but instead of constant brake pad symbols around a solid drum they are intermitted or dashed line symbols around a drum?

Also, since this has appeared, when I put my foot on the brake pedal to put it into drive I hear a high pitched whine, which soon stops, only does is soon after I've started the engine. Any ideas?

The other worrying problem I have is to do with the transmission itself. Had the car a couple of years now and it's been regularly serviced by a Vauxhall dealership so have assumed THEY have been checking the tranny oil levels!.

Anyway, after a couple of long'ish journeys recently it's develops a constant whine when moving, increases in pitch the faster you go, and decreases in pitch as you slow down. Sounds like a bearing or something whining but am hoping it's something less expensive!!

Also, around 50mph, it's constantly changing up and down and up and down a gear, as if it cannot decide what gear it should be in. You can see the tacho needle jumping up and down as it's constantly changing gear.

Also sometimes it'll select 6th gear (or whatever gear is after 5th, overdrive etc) and it'll stuggle to keep up or accelerate, then jumps down to 4th.

I don't push the car too hard and now only fill up with Shell petrol as I had another issue 18 months ago with supermarket fuel constanly shutting the engine down!

I've seen on one post regarding the green plug at the front of the transmission indicating this is the dipstick for the tranny oil, so am gonna have a look at that soon.

The brakes I can change, I think, easy enough job, but automatic transmission problems sound really expensive!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

You think its the pad wear light, the brakes are sounding rough and you haven't looked at them? You will need to replace them soon mate by the sound of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I do think it's a pad wear light , basically from what I've read on here, but they are by no means worn down to the metal or sounding rough when moving.

It just recently, hot weather seems to bring out the worst. Today for instance, popped into a few shops, and everytime I hit the brake (from standing) to put it into drive I heard this squeel...WHEN STATIONARY...not moving an inch!

Drove the car tonight after it's had time to cool down and nothing, still choping and changing at 50mh but no squeel or anything....really odd!!

Checked the tranny level tonoght...all fine!

Will be doing the brakes soon anyway, but there's nothing in the manual about this light and the whine from the tranny is worrying!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

do you think its loud enough to record the sound?

it may help the skilled amoungst us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I could do, I'll have a go, anythings worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Here's a pic of the dash warning message, still think it's the brakes but not 100% sure.

Tried to record some tranny whine but the road noise seems to muffle the whine when recording. Will have another go though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

In Owner's Manual book on page 12 says: Brake pad wear indicator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks Sambor, at least I know one proble I need to sort, brakes.

If I had the original owners handbook for my '05 Vectra then I suppose page 12 would have given me the answer, but as the dealer had lost it "in the post" and replaced it with the current model Vectra's handbook, page 12 refers to control stalks and this symbol isn't mentioned anywhere.

Thanks again, now I just need to work out which set of pads and discs I need to purchase and get them changed.

I've changed brakes and disc before, but not on this Vectra, is there anything I should know before wading in?

Cheers
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'v this by myself and is nothing dificult.
    On the pic 1 use Torx T30
    On pic 2 use srewdriver to pull out spring(1) and caliper(2)
    On pic 3 remove plastic cup 1(torx T45)
    2(torx E20)
    On pic 4 torx E20-You have use force to unscrew carrier!
    On pict 5 push caliper cilinder back.
    Attachment 32277
    Attachment 32278
    Attachment 32279
    Attachment 32280
    Attachment 32281

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok, brakes arrived yesterday, just waiting for decent weather (arrived today) and some time to start stripping the brakes down and see if that makes the 'whining' any better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information