User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this fuel pump problem normal wear?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Is this fuel pump problem normal wear?

Hi there

MY 2.2 dti diesel 2004 fuel pump failed at 60000 miles and had to be replaced at a cost of £2000 by Vauxhall.

I'm considering taking the dealer who supplied it to a small claim court to recover the cost of repair.

In my view the failure of a major and majorly expensive component at this mileage is not normal, however the dealer thinks otherwise and says it's to be expected.

the success or failure of my claim may depend on whether the judge thinks it reasonable or not.

Does anyone have a view, and as a further help to my claim, does anyone know of someone (expert?) who would be prepared to state that in their view this is not a normal wear and tear component failure.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I wouldn't have said it was normal tbh. How long have you had the car?
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    I wouldn't have said it was normal tbh. How long have you had the car?
    I bought the car used in May 2008 with 38000 on the clock and the pump failed in March 2010 with 60000 on the clock - car properly serviced etc.

This is an item designed to work at v high pressures, but clearly phenomenally expensive to replace.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Has the car ever been misfueled and thus caused premature wear to the pump?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Exclusive

Engine : 1.9 CDTI

Bought my vec on 63k & the pump went at 86k so you're not the only one!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

What fuel do you guys use and were the pump failures mechanical or electrical?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi,
    My fuel pump is (hopefully) being replaced by the dealer under warranty at the moment, luckily I noticed the issue within 3 days of receiving the car, so even if the warranty company refused the claim, I'd hold the garage responsible.

Strangely enough,mines just reached 60k miles, but mines a 3.0 V6 diesel so a different pump (I guess)

But not sure how you stand here, 60k miles is a lot of mileage, and borderline for the usual 3yr/60k warranty. Unless you can prove that either Vauxhall or the dealer knowingly sold a defective part/car I don't think you'll get far. Add the fact that the part has lasted 60k miles and 6 years I don't think you'll get far with a claim.

I know for a fact that the suspected failed parts on my pump where changed by Vauxhall for a different type due to failures, so I would have gone to Vauxhall and seen if they would be willing to contribute to the costs of the fuel pump replacement, given that there is a known issue with the earlier fuel pumps on my car.

Have you tried all avenues with speaking to the dealer and Vauxhall first? If you go straight to court, it might go badly against you if you cannot prove you have tried reasonable means to obtain an answer as to why your claim for compensation will not be paid.

Also isn't there a limit to the maximum you can claim in small claims or have I got that wrong?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have you retained the failed fuel pump?
    Have you sent it to the manufacturer for assessment?

A court is going to require at least some proof of premature failure

Equally, the car is a 2004
    Normal wear and tear is only considered as 6 years (5 years in Scotland)
    If you do get any compensation, then it will only be 16% of what you paid

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by neverton View Post
    Hi,
    My fuel pump is (hopefully) being replaced by the dealer under warranty at the moment, luckily I noticed the issue within 3 days of receiving the car, so even if the warranty company refused the claim, I'd hold the garage responsible.

Strangely enough,mines just reached 60k miles, but mines a 3.0 V6 diesel so a different pump (I guess)

But not sure how you stand here, 60k miles is a lot of mileage, and borderline for the usual 3yr/60k warranty. Unless you can prove that either Vauxhall or the dealer knowingly sold a defective part/car I don't think you'll get far. Add the fact that the part has lasted 60k miles and 6 years I don't think you'll get far with a claim.

I know for a fact that the suspected failed parts on my pump where changed by Vauxhall for a different type due to failures, so I would have gone to Vauxhall and seen if they would be willing to contribute to the costs of the fuel pump replacement, given that there is a known issue with the earlier fuel pumps on my car.

Have you tried all avenues with speaking to the dealer and Vauxhall first? If you go straight to court, it might go badly against you if you cannot prove you have tried reasonable means to obtain an answer as to why your claim for compensation will not be paid.

Also isn't there a limit to the maximum you can claim in small claims or have I got that wrong?
    I guess my thinking here is that on a normal family car like this one you would not expect to have to fork out £2000 for a replacement engine or gearbox at just 60000m so it is equally unreasonable to have to fork out that much for any other component.

I spoke to the Trading Standards office who thought I had a case and who referred me to the Sale of Goods act suggested I first contact the trader I bought the car from and ask him to pay for the repair, with me making a contribution, which I did. He denies reponsibility.

I spoke to vauxhall who will not make a contribution on cars more than 5 years old.

That just leaves the dealer and Trading Standards advice that I now go to a small claims court to recover the cost.

Re other forum members' questions:

- the car has never had the wrong fuel in it
    - I do not know if the fault was electrical or mechanical. vauxhall got an error code on it using their computer and said the whole unit had to be replaced.
    - I do not have the original faulty pump, that stayed with the dealer (but I can't imagine a small claims court judge wit hit on his desk checking it out!)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi,
    I know where you are coming from, you expect a pump to last a good 100k miles, but with anything under such high pressure I can see why it can/would fail, looking at the figures I was getting the pumps go up to something like 18000 psi, so its a precision piece of kit!!

You've covered all the avenues as far as speaking to all the right people (so it seems) only thing I can suggest is asking if trading standards would be willing to send a letter to the dealers and vauxhall on your behalf. They recently offered to do this for a friend of mine when he got ripped off by a leasing company (still waiting to find out what happens as they only sent the letter late last week). Might be enough to help sway a decision if it comes from trading standards as opposed to an individual.

Not sure how the law would stand on such a thing as I would be suprised if the sales of goods act covers 6 year old items.

Personally, and I am not in the legal profession, I wouldnt expect it to go in your favour, its an item with lots of moving high precision parts, thats lasted 6 years and 60k miles, but if I was in your shoes, I'd be following all the avenues to get some money back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information