User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: is there anyone selling or could give me an idea on a half decent air rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default is there anyone selling or could give me an idea on a half decent air rifle

im just after a air rifle for shooting rabbits and rats im not to bothered wether it is c02 or spring i no nothing about them and would appreciate any advice and which makes to avoid and how to spot a **** or abused rifle cheers baz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

No one would be able to sell an air rifle on here. But they would be able to offer you advice.
    I myself do not know too much about them. But fil2822 did have a thread about the one he was interested in buying from amate at work. Might be worth doing a search for his thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers mate thought they would be a rule against it but i wud realy appreciate the help cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra VXR, VW Tiguan R-line Tech, Vivaro.

Trim : Nav

Engine : Various

Year : 1 A.D

Mileage : Rising

Did somebody mention me ?

Have alook here mate........
    www.airgunforum.co.uk

They'll give you some pretty good advice there. It helped me .

Have consideration for the deaf, if you're gunna fart, make it smell !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

a rifle for ratting and rabbiting would be dependant on the range of your target -

to kill a rat you need either a head or heart shot otherwise the scaleytails will still run off - what sort of range are you planning on shooting from for rats??

things to consider -
    are you shooting indoors - what is the "backstop" for what your shooting if you miss - go through the target....too much power will be overkill and over penetrate as you need more kinetic energy to stun and kill the target you can kill a rat with 4- 8 ftlbs at 10-20 meters
    if your outside then you need to again consider backstops - if there in your garden ensure what you shoot does not leave your land - otherwise your going to get into trouble from the police for dangerous use and from the RSPCA for inhumane dispatch

to kill a rabbit again a good headshot or a heart shot - a headshot is instant - even with a heart shot they can flick flack back into cover or their burrows..
    rabbits are very wary of movement and smell and sound.. so you plan ahead and get into position - a good silencer will allow you to take several shots before the rabbits get too startled and run away - so a multishot rifle is a good investment. rabbits can again be killed with 6- upto the legal limit 12 ftlbs at a safe range of upto what you can shoot to and cleanly kill - the suitable advice given by most magazines and hunting litrature is 30-35meters or what you can shoot a 5 pence piece size hole repeatedly at a distance of
    (with my daystate airwolf running 11.75ftlbs i could shoot on a still day at 80 meters)

again as above make sure your shots never leave the boundary of your property or where you are shooting and always consider where the shot will go if it over penetrates or misses ..

1.77mm is the flattest trajectory for shooting and allows a better misjudgement if your not very good at judging ranges

2.00 mm best of both worlds flat and high kinetic impact - not too many rifles availabe in this calibre

2.2mm was always desired and gave the "best" kinetic energy but has an arced trajectory so drops into the target - harder to judge ranges - better stability on windier days etc.

what budget have you set yourself?

when /what was the last thing you used??

precharge is superb - flat ..silent ...no kick/twang ... multiple shots without reharge- disadvantages - needs to be recharged - might need a pump /compressor (hills drypack pumps about £100-130= pays for itself eventually)

capsule co2 10-20 shots and its effectiveness is gone - recharge capulets can be expensive

springer - cheap and simple easy to repair and clean has a kick that if you can control is very effective but will throw some optic scopes into turmoil and give you a black eye to boot

i hope the above helps

regards

Dez

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have a .22 air rifle with ox spring on a firearms licence at 18lbs ft with a mil dot 3-9 x 50 scope it's a spring one but will stop a rat dead if you hit it right with acupel hollow point pellets

But a .177 is more accurate in calm winds etc

I also have a crossbow and a 12bore shotgun too lol I like shooting and do alot on farms and clay shooting too

rabbits a .22 will do but if you want a one shot one kill the spring will be ok but if you want multiple kills or if you miss thenyou will need a co2 with silencer or they will all run off

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra VXR, VW Tiguan R-line Tech, Vivaro.

Trim : Nav

Engine : Various

Year : 1 A.D

Mileage : Rising

[quote=ed taylor;1255501]
    I myself do not know too much about them. But fil2822 did have a thread about the one he was interested in buying from amate at work. [quote]

You'll get my user name right one day Ed !!!

Have consideration for the deaf, if you're gunna fart, make it smell !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've got a Webley Vulcan III .22 spring rifle.

Very powerful (just under the 12ft/lb limit I think), gives a bit of a kick, but nothing too bad. Accuracy is excellent.

My mate had a pump up rifle a few years ago which was excellent. Less powerful than mine, although much lighter.

The advantage to the pump up was the ability to be able to pump it and leave it for a while. Cocking mine and leaving it for ages wouldn't do the spring any good in the long run.

Thread Information