0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SXi

Engine : 2.2

Default Need your support with a FB group

Everyone

I have started a page on FB to get Facebook to install a panic button to help protect our kids. At the moment they refuse to do it but other sites such as BEBO have one installed.

I had a conversation with a few parents last night after a certian incident arose on FB where I intervened and had a chat with a young lad who was making lewd and nasty comments to a family member and confronted him. He has since said sorry to the family member and it has been resolved but made us aware of how easy it is. He was 17 and the girl was 13. I will not repeat what he was writing but if I knew where he lived I would have cut his d**k off at the time.

I just need a little support and make FB realise that it is needed and if it had have been on the page the girl would have pressed it as she was upset.

Thanks

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't understand.... Only friends can chat to eachother so why not just remove the person from friends list? Problem sorted....

What is the "panic button" going to do exactly? call in the swat team?

There's a great little button in the top right hand corner of the window, it's got a big X through the middle of it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8616980.stm

"Facebook had previously said it would not install a "panic button" on its main pages for users to report suspected paedophiles, but would develop its existing system"

So you want to label young lads who are making "lewd comments" as being paedophiles?
    Where does that end? kids will be reporting eachother for no reason at all.... Who's going to deal with all the fake reports? Facebook has to employ a large team of people to handle all that??? and who's going to decide whether little 6 year old Johny is labelled as a paedophile for the rest of his life simply because he learnt a new swear word from his friends?

So in my opinion and im more than willing to listen to both arguements....

This panic button thing is purely the product of technophobic individuals, incapable of monitoring their own children and who allow their children too much unsupervised access to the internet.

It's the solution that the "brought my PC at PC world for double it's the real value" gang want to see implemented because they want someone else to look after their kids for them!!!

Exactly the same peope buy anti-virus products assuming it gives them free license to click on and install every piece of crap the internet throws at them...... And we all know that never ends well.

It's DANGEROUS to start relying on such a flawed solution to protect their children!!
    Last edited by Birchy63; 13th May 2010 at 09:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate (150) Nav

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.9 CDTi (150)

Year : 2006

Mileage : 126000

Sorry Wave Rider, I have to agree with Birchy: it's a waste of time. A little parental monitoring and careful friend management is what is required. Did the 13 year old family member actually know this 17 year old? How did he come to be on her friends list? Perhaps this was a useful lesson that not everyone you meet in life is 'Mr Chuckles'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Facebook take no notice to social groups regarless of amount of members. At all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Birchy63 View Post
    I don't understand.... Only friends can chat to eachother so why not just remove the person from friends list? Problem sorted....

What is the "panic button" going to do exactly? call in the swat team?

There's a great little button in the top right hand corner of the window, it's got a big X through the middle of it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8616980.stm

"Facebook had previously said it would not install a "panic button" on its main pages for users to report suspected paedophiles, but would develop its existing system"

So you want to label young lads who are making "lewd comments" as being paedophiles?
    Where does that end? kids will be reporting eachother for no reason at all.... Who's going to deal with all the fake reports? Facebook has to employ a large team of people to handle all that??? and who's going to decide whether little 6 year old Johny is labelled as a paedophile for the rest of his life simply because he learnt a new swear word from his friends?

So in my opinion and im more than willing to listen to both arguements....

This panic button thing is purely the product of technophobic individuals, incapable of monitoring their own children and who allow their children too much unsupervised access to the internet.

It's the solution that the "brought my PC at PC world for double it's the real value" gang want to see implemented because they want someone else to look after their kids for them!!!

Exactly the same peope buy anti-virus products assuming it gives them free license to click on and install every piece of crap the internet throws at them...... And we all know that never ends well.

It's DANGEROUS to start relying on such a flawed solution to protect their children!!
    Do you have kids? Do you know what they are doing 24/7? You watch them every minute they are on a pc? My kids do not live with me so it is impossible for me to do this. I can only educate them both and tell them and warn them. Apart from that and stifling them in cotton wool they need to grow up and have their freedom. We can not protect our loved ones 24/7 but just a few simple measures would help.

Say I asked your daughter to be a friend and she accepted (Which seems to be the current trend of FB people just approve anybody which to me in itself is weird but hey I,m not down with da kids on da street ) and then told her in graphic detail what I was going to do to her and how I was going to do it and that maybe I,d bring some mates along for a rough old gangbang do you think she would be upset? Would you be upset or just say hey dude I don,t mind you talking to my daughter like that feel free. Afterall your only 17 pretending to be 14 but hey we can,t say you are doing wrong or your a pedo for talking to a girl of 13 knowing that she is that age. Trust me if it was my daughter I,d be struggling to control my anger.

But it would probably never have come to nothing as these things never do on the net kids arn,t groomed by pedo,s and then raped or murdered are they

and I do agree with you it is not 100% the answer but even it helps just one kid ain,t that worth it?

Please guys lets not turn this into a giant debate so it ends up an argument
    Last edited by the_wave_rider; 13th May 2010 at 11:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi buddy, im really not wanting to turn this into a forum war.... The subject demands far greater respect

Quote Originally Posted by the_wave_rider View Post
    But it would probably never have come to nothing as these things never do on the net kids arn,t groomed by pedo,s and then raped or murdered are they

If they're being groomed then what would make them hit the panic button?
    "oh im being groomed here, I better hit the panic button before I go meet this guy"
    That's like putting a panic button in a car showroom, "oh god, im being sold a nail, I must hit the panic button before I sign this cheque!"

The solution, for as stupid as it sounds... Is to STOP adding people to Facebook if you dont know who the hell they are!!
    Perhaps some way of parents vetting who their children add to Facebook would be a much better solution??

It's unbelievably dangerous to add total stranger who can then see your personal details.... Totally crazy! and for what? having 250 more friends than someone else?
    I have friends who I could work out where they live and work based purely on the photo's in their photo album!

Im all for protecting our children, but being reliant on one single ineffective solution is just plain dangerous.

Did our parents make us carry panic buttons on the walk home from school? or did that tell us "don't speak to strangers"?

Has anyone been following the news on the oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico? that was a classic case of relying on a single safety system which then failed with catastrophic results...

When it comes to our children, we cannot afford to take a "trial and error" approach, we have to take quick and effective action!
    If that involves giving the parents some extra responsibility then so be it, that is the contract we signed when we decided to stop using contraception.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I agree with you its crazy to add "friends" you have never actually met but that is how it is on FB personally everybody I know on FB I have met and have spoken to and still do face to face. I can not see the point in adding someone you will never talk to! Its mad!

In this case the girl was upset, I just happened to be online at the time and she spoke to me and told me and I told her father and we dealt with it from there. She is a sensible kid and did the right thing but maybe there are others who would not have done that. Every kid is different and reacts different. I guess the bottom line is you can only protect them so much but I think for FB to say no way not doing it is very small minded.

I believe once the button is hit it instantly records the conversation the people and the contents,dates and profile and then the police investigate. I,m not sure the SWAT team will storm the building lol

As for the oilspill I work offshore and all I will say is that certain "companies" talk H&S alot more then they practice it. When you are producing carbon based fuels and only using one safety device its an accident waiting to happen but that is the harsh reality profit comes first, life comes second we are replacable and the well is not. Thats the harsh truth of the matter and the under lying problem when working offshore. When it comes to production a shutdown for 1/2 day could cost them $10,000,000 and the other factor is most of these offshore companies have already sold the oil before they have even produced it so they push harder and harder to fullfill that quota.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : SE

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2011

they have a panic button on Myspace and it gets abused constantly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i agree with ya fella this site needs a panic button it will get abused by some idiots. but there will be times that its cotia. and being pressed for a reason. in my opinion all these types of sites need them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

I'm gonna sound really old here and I know its impractical but, get rid of the ****** sites altogether and tell the kids go out and play.

Plenty of time to sit on yer ass talking about ****e on forums when yer older

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information