Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Radiator Leak

Chaps,

Advise please - my rad has been leaking for months, I've tried rad weld which only slowed the problem rather than cure. I think it's a pin hole leak as it's damp round bottom of the bumper and leaves a small damp patch on the road, and needs topping up evey 2-3weeks.

My question is can I get it patched / soldered up at all? Is there a system to do this in situ, as the rad I think is about £175 without fitting and looking in the Haynes manual a right ball ache to get to / swap out.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Best to get a new rad. Mind was rusted where the rad meets the plastic end piece. I paid £150 fitted at a local independent garage. Should have done it myself tho, the rad was £70-80.
    I personaly wouldn't use any rad-weld type stuff, heard many horror storys bout it blocking the heater matrix, resulting in costly repair. But some on here have used it without problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBilly View Post
    Best to get a new rad. Mind was rusted where the rad meets the plastic end piece. I paid £150 fitted at a local independent garage. Should have done it myself tho, the rad was £70-80.
    I personaly wouldn't use any rad-weld type stuff, heard many horror storys bout it blocking the heater matrix, resulting in costly repair. But some on here have used it without problems.
    Yeah it didn't seem right but like you say, some people swear by the stuff! German & Swedish want £110 for one, which even the guy there thought was expensive but the dealer price he has is £180 so I don't think so bad!

Anyone know where I can get one cheaper? It's a 2.2DTi btw!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Euro Car Parts - £68.95 online price, I'm sure if you've got a mate in the trade they'd get discount off that on top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia elite tourer vxline biturbo

Trim : Elite vxline

Engine : 2.0 biturbo

Year : 2013

Mileage : 80000

a lot off new type rads are crimped and so cannot be fixed... my bro in law said try k seal as will not block the heater rad up and is the best stuff on the market and is use for the k series engines ,, he should know as owns his own rad company here in leicester

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW555 View Post
    Euro Car Parts - £68.95 online price, I'm sure if you've got a mate in the trade they'd get discount off that on top.
    Excellent - just looked and that one's out of stock. How do I check it's the right one as I find Euro Car Parts always list loads of different units that it gets confusing? is the part number written on the rad for me to reference?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

they might have it in branch tho, just ring your local branch and give them your reg number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Right,

Still haven't done ANYTHING about this - has anyone changed their Rad before, and do they have any tips or tricks? I'm just concerned about having to take the headlights and bumper off, then the fact there being NO ROOM to work in as everything's wedged in between engine block and bumper!

Changed the Rad on my old Golf GTi MK4, and that was tricky but loads of room compared to this car!

Help please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I changed mine about 6 months ago, got the replacement for £50 from http://www.discount-cooling.co.uk/

The job was a piece of cake. No need to remove the headlights, just the bumper.

Make sure you don't let the A/C rad hang on it's pipes (it's usually bolted to the normal rad), I tied it up with string while I did the rest and everything was fine.

Only thing I forgot to do was get the new style mounts from the stealers, I had to refit the old springs which make a dreadful noise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    I changed mine about 6 months ago, got the replacement for £50 from http://www.discount-cooling.co.uk/

The job was a piece of cake. No need to remove the headlights, just the bumper.

Make sure you don't let the A/C rad hang on it's pipes (it's usually bolted to the normal rad), I tied it up with string while I did the rest and everything was fine.

Only thing I forgot to do was get the new style mounts from the stealers, I had to refit the old springs which make a dreadful noise.
    Excellent - thanks for the link!!! They do it for £61+delivery so will snap that up next week! I take it the mounts/springs will be apparent when I'm in there??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information