Thread: brake disc etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default brake disc etc

rite lads i put alloys on my car but wen fitting the front alloy i broke a wheel stud in the hub but i was going to get round to trying to get it out then today i took the wee trims off to have a look and a diff bolt has snapt to f*** hell so i only have 3 bolts holding the alloy on now the front disc is held by 2 torox bolts am i corect? what size are they? also is the wheel stud holes threaded to or just the hub? im thinking if i pull the disc i may be able to catch the bolt or could i get a set of mole grips or the like in the back of the hub and try screwing the bolt back out a bit to get a grip of it faling that its a set of easy out bolt screws and drill the studs any 1 done this before was it easy ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

sounds like you dont have the right PCD on the alloys you got ?
    how else can 2 bolts shear ???
    get rid of them

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i snapped a stud in mine last yr, ended up drilling it out and fitting heli-coil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i think there defo vauxhall fitting my moneys on the studs being inferior quality prob from some some where like korea the reason im thinking this is wen i orig put the alloys on as i was pinching the bolt up and not puting a lot of force on it it went so there wasnt a lot of torque on the bolt so im thinking with me going over a few large pot holes in the last 2 or 3 weeks its made the second bolt snap with the vibration/shock the holes on the alloys line up with the holes on the hub fine, any ways any 1 had the hub off what size are the brake caliper bolts and the bolts holding the disc and any 1 know how much room at the back of the hub carrier ? do u think i could get the tip of mole grips in to turn the back of the bolt or will it hit the cv jiont?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I took my mondeo into my local garage to have my brake pipes replaced and when removing the wheels they managed to break 2 wheel nuts! They got them off my welding a bold to the knackered end, let it cool and then carefully undo it with a rachet. Do you think that would be possible with whats left of the wheel nut?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i dont think there will be as there broken actualy in the holes to be honest i dont even think taking the brake disc off theres going to be anything to grip thats why im asking how much room is there at the back without pulling the hub carrier off as i dont have a torque wrench, so was thinking could i turn whats left in the holes from the rear of the hub carrier out from the back even if i have to cut the bolt so far up so it dont hit anything wen turning it out from the back? how much space is there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate (150) Nav

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.9 CDTi (150)

Year : 2006

Mileage : 126000

Why on earth are you taking alloys on/off without using a torque-wrench to tighten them?

Sounds like you overtightened them to me... It's not just your safety on the road - buy a torque-wrench!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

as a matter of interest - the alloy bolts you used for the new wheels where they the standard Vx ones? as these were shorter than the ones supllied with my new Fox alloys?

if i compared the length of "purchase" on the vx one on a Fox alloy there was only 3 full turns of a nut so about 3 threads in
    the other nuts supplied fitted correctly - i wonder if your nuts are too short -

if you pardon the expression

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ollie i have never used a torque wrench on alloys and every tyre place i have ever been in for a tyre change repair i have never seen them use 1 and most garages i have been in wen puting wheels back on and thats in 25 years worth of driving /deztroyer the bolt i got them with the alloys they came off a vectra the guy took the alloys of his vectra wen he traded it in for a scooby, i had a set of brand new bolts wen i got a set of alloys they didnt fit so i gave them away with the alloys the orig vauxhall bolts that wer on my ellite dont fit the alloys are racing mania alloys they are thin bolts that they use now i dont know where the guy got the wheel bolts from so dont know the qaulity of the bolt but having a look on the net there seems to be some iffy 1s out there and this is my way of thinking as i didnt overtighten them i have put loads of alloy studs on and its the first time i have ever had 1 going on me like that, wen i was just starting to tighten it up the thread ? that got me thinking with the shock of going over pot holes /vibration may have done the 2nd 1? here is a link to the sort of bolt im onabout they look like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-Alloy-Wheel...item483a18acc4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Tourer

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160ps)

Year : 2010

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was under the impression that ALL tyre places were required to use a torque wrench by law to set the wheel bolts to the correct setting these days. I'm fairly sure that was brought in about 10 years ago now.

I know for a fact I make sure they do when my cars in every time.

As for your issue, if there's not enough left to weld anything onto, you're only left with drilling them out or replacing the hub really. Sounds like you know what you're doing though so good luck
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information