Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Smile 2005 2.2 Design Auto, rev hunting on idle, and misfiring

GOOD NEWS. At the end of this text there are the fixes to the probs and some advice. But some history 1st and description of problem.

car was fine when bought in Jan this year. It's doing high mileage > 600 per week. Decided to have a service, took it to wakefield vx dealer. Service = shabby. Book not stamped, and stuff asked to look at not done and car started rvving up and down and what seemed like a misfire after they had serviced.

Car is based at Portsmouth during the week and Wakefield at weekend. After the service, the car started revving up an down on idle, like it was hunting for the right RPM. Got told this may be a fuel problem. But car still working ok.
    On 1 drive back to Portsmouth, car cuts out on Mway, but starts again, then get oil light and coolant light on, both low and only 1 week after the service????

Took car to Kwik fit as it wasn't going anywhere near wakey dealers again, ECU code for EGR valve and comms failure. Kwik fit can't rectify, so Vx dealers in Portsmouth took out the EGR valve, blanked it and re-programmed ECU (£196). They said if problem wasn;t fixed a New ECU £250 ish would be required. Started to get suspicious at this point. Car was still revving up and down and what seems like mis-firing, but had to t home to wakefield. Was going to take it back and explain I'm not paying for work unless it fixes the problem, but car breaks down big style in Oxford. Won't idle, engine dies 20sec after starting.

Had car recovered from oxford to the local garage I have used for years. A lad called Steve Wood in Wakefield, took him all of 2 hours to diagnose the problems.
    . faulty high pressure fuel pump cost £376 for parts - fitted and car drives spot on but still revving slightly up and down
    2. faulty air valve on front of crank case - parts come tomorrow, but if you disconnect the valve from the bottom hose and plug the bottom hose,it stops revving up and down, engine sweet as.

If anyone wants pics of new parts just ask.

Advice
    Only go to dealers as a last resort, if you have used a garage for over 15 years like I have, stick with them. I know they can't always fix "dealer only" problems, but they don;t seem to think you can be put on a money treadmill, where the dealer replaces part after part and charges you for the work and doesn't fix the problem.
    The dealers are supposed to be experts, so from now on, if you have to take you car in, insist on only paying for parts that fix the problem. If they remove or replace a part and it is no better, tell them to put the old one back on, as it wasn't bust was it ? yes you'll have to pay for their time doing this, but it's not fair just replacing parts they think might do the trick. in my case a new ECU which wouldn't have fixed anything ? glad I broke down and saved myself from their clutches once more.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 137000

Glad you got it sorted mate, but if you'd of posted up here we could of told you it was the HP pump straight off the bat. All you have to say is 2.2 direct and problem and its usually the pump LOL. I take it you have the new Continental pump as if its the Siemens one it will just go again? Anyhow, your right though, Dealers and experts don't go hand in hand in most cases although there are some out there. I had a warranty fix to my oil scraper rings, drove it off down the road and bang, they'd not timed it properly and it wrote off the engine, only good thing to come out of it is that I got a new engine under warrinty.

Thread Information