Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default error code P0234 - Boost pressure control

Hi

I've had this error code a couple of times ( engine spanner light on and car goes into limp mode), after hard accelerating. Clears next time car is started.

2.0 DTi 2002 with Y20DTH engine.

car drives OK otherwise.

Engine diagnostics place says is a boost pressure control error.

Any suggestions as to the most likely cause?

thanks

Admin & Merchandise Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

Without searching i would assume its the boost valve maybe its clogged up and dirty,quick clean with carb cleaner might help
    Plus check all boost pipes for air leaks and splits

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default P0234 Overboost Condition

I have had P0234 overboost code quite a few times now. I currently drive a Vectra C 2.2Dti 2003, and it only ever occurs whilst towing caravan. I have been frustrated with it for nearly 3 years now. I have had ECU updated by Vauxhall (still happening after update ), had it to numerous garages and nobody has ever been able to pinpoint what was causing it. A few weeks ago i took Boost pressure sensor out (module on inlet manifold with Bosch on it). It was quite black so i cleaned it with some white spirit and a soft paint brush until the needle in the centre became a brassy colour again( just be careful doing this as i understand module is quite delicate ) and put it all back together. I have just been away for the weekend with caravan and have suffered no problems whatsoever. Fingers crossed this has cured my problem. If i have any more problems i will post on here. Hope this will be of some help to people suffering P0234 condition.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

nige? what code reader do you use, i am looking at this on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-OBD2-Diagn...item35a9cbff21

cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Barney490. I am not sure which code reader it was that was used because i took it to a local garage and he plugged his machine in to find the fault code and reset the fault. I don't think all diagnostic machines will actually read Vectra codes because i tried one at another garage, and theirs wouldn't work. Like i said in my previous post, my car has brought spanner light on every time i have had caravan on for last 2-3 years but this weekend it never did it, hopefully from just cleaning boost sensor. Sorry i cant give you the name of diagnostic machine, but i know from the one he was using, it wasn't just the ones you can buy for 50 quid or so.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I previously posted that i had removed and cleaned the boost pressure sensor, but it did not cure the problem. I have since spoken to a mechanic from Vauxhall and told me what to do to cure the P0234 overboost problem. Carefully remove circlip on wastegate rod on side of turbo, then again carefully remove actuator rod from turbo. It is a bit tight but you need to somehow hold rod with pliers so it doesn't move around too much, then loosen nut (10mm i think! ) underneath the top section of rod. Once loose, you need to just turn the top section (that you took off side of turbo) anti-clockwise by just HALF A TURN, so in effect lengthening the rod. Re-tighten nut underneath and re-connect to turbo, making sure it is lined up nice and straight so moves freely once connected. (Just put a drop of oil on little arm before re-connecting). Put ciclip back on, being careful as they can just fly off!! Doing this to mine has solved the problem, as just done 800 miles with caravan on, and had no problem whatsoever. Doing this to your car will make it boost slightly less, but you won,t notice any difference. Good luck.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Quote Originally Posted by Nige873 View Post
    I have had P0234 overboost code quite a few times now. I currently drive a Vectra C 2.2Dti 2003, and it only ever occurs whilst towing caravan. I have been frustrated with it for nearly 3 years now. I have had ECU updated by Vauxhall (still happening after update ), had it to numerous garages and nobody has ever been able to pinpoint what was causing it. A few weeks ago i took Boost pressure sensor out (module on inlet manifold with Bosch on it). It was quite black so i cleaned it with some white spirit and a soft paint brush until the needle in the centre became a brassy colour again( just be careful doing this as i understand module is quite delicate ) and put it all back together. I have just been away for the weekend with caravan and have suffered no problems whatsoever. Fingers crossed this has cured my problem. If i have any more problems i will post on here. Hope this will be of some help to people suffering P0234 condition.
    You know what that is great to hear, I had the same problems with this last year and cleaned the boost sensor after the carvan season had finished but i've not been away with it yet so fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Nige873 View Post
    Hi Barney490. I am not sure which code reader it was that was used because i took it to a local garage and he plugged his machine in to find the fault code and reset the fault. I don't think all diagnostic machines will actually read Vectra codes because i tried one at another garage, and theirs wouldn't work. Like i said in my previous post, my car has brought spanner light on every time i have had caravan on for last 2-3 years but this weekend it never did it, hopefully from just cleaning boost sensor. Sorry i cant give you the name of diagnostic machine, but i know from the one he was using, it wasn't just the ones you can buy for 50 quid or so.
    Cheaper code readers don't work on the DTi

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I am 99% sure that what i have just done has cured problem. I drove approx 200 miles with no problems, then pulled into services and set wastegate rod back to original setting and within the next 50-60 miles the car went into limp 3 times. So then i just wound it back that half a turn again, and had no problems ever since. Good luck

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

could sombody please do a how to on this lenghening arm because its a fault in all vectras and vauxhall dont addmit it haha thanks kiel

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Why is there no HOW2 guide on this yet??!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information