User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated: Mod No.2: CD70 with Reversing Camera

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cool Updated: Mod No.2: CD70 with Reversing Camera

Ok, after I posted this thread last year...

Mod No.2: CD70 with Reversing Camera

...I've been planning for a long time to do a more permanent install with a better camera. Everyone who's seen it knows the camera I had was mounted on the inside of the car at the top of the rear window, where it was fine during the day but at night the infra-red LED's just reflected off the windscreen. I sort of knew this would happen when i first fitted it, but I was more interested in getting the whole thing working and proving to myself it could actually be done.

I had managed to wire the camera into the factory fit parkign sensors so that I could manually operate the camera jsut by pressing the Park Pilot switch, as shown in the video. I was quite pleased with this, as it worked well and meant I didn't have to put it in to reverse every time someone wanted to see it work...

With a couple of weeks off work, my dad's garage, a load of electrical tooks, heatshrink and numerous cups of tea curtesy of my mum I set to work.

First things first, I ripped the rear bumper off, along with the left side of the interior to get at the wiring which had been simply hidden and put together with terminal blocks.

This is what a Signum looks like with it's ass in bits:

And I also found these on the right hand side. Haven't the foggiest idea what they're for.

The bumper is unbelievably easy to take off, and I set about it with a holesaw. The new camera I had was a round bullet type the same as Danboy has, and mounting it outside would make the camera useful at night instead of just the day. As anyone who's fitted parking sensors to the rear of a Signum will know, you also have to drill in to the crash bar as it sits directly behind the bumper. I didn't see this as a major problem as it comes with 4 massive holes from the factory if you have parking sensors fitted anyway, so one more hole wasn't going to hurt...

I soon came across a problem when getting the camera to work. After much experimentation, it transpired that it needs a full 12V to work, whereas the old one could get away with 8V. The problem this presented was that the parking sensors which I'd taken the feed off for the first camera operate on 8V, which wasn't enough to work the camera. I could hook it in to the reverse light circuit, which is what I eventually did, but it meant I wouldn't be able to operate the camera via the park pilot switch.

My dad, being the way he is, built a small relay which I could have used to operate the camera from any 12V source via the sensor 8V line, but as I'd already sorted out most of the wiring down the back end with heatshrink, proper connections and tie-wraps I decided to leave it as it was. It now only works off the reverse gear, but that's all it needs really.

The result:

The other option I wanted to explore was using the other 2 inputs the interface board comes with. there are 3 in total including the dedicated reverse camera AV input, but the other two are selectable with a lit-up switch. Up till now this has all been hidden behind the dash, but I wanted to add it in somewhere and make it useable tbut still keep it out of sight.

My car came with bluetooth from the factory, but everyone knows the kit that sits between the front seats is pointless and I got a coin tray with slidy cover to replace it. After lots of faffing with wiring, 12V supplies and a huge number of scratches on my hand, this was the result:

It lights up when the ignition is on and you can plug any NTSC AV feed into it, press the button and the screen will switch over to it. There's another AV cable tucked behind the dash which I'm saving for future plans...

Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

Would love to do this on my NCDC great write up mate

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

someone's been busy... nice work Martin. That's one fully loaded Sig.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by lofty View Post
    someone's been busy... nice work Martin. That's one fully loaded Sig.
    I was looking at the folding mirrors last week - unfortunately even with all the kit mine's got it's still got the wrong door modules - that adds a severe amount to the price unless you can get the discounted...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Even better than before, fantastic. I love the extras in the coin tray....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mark_647 View Post
    Even better than before, fantastic. I love the extras in the coin tray....
    It was the only place I could think to put them where they would be easily accessible but could be hidden out of sight and still make the car look OEM...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

that looks spot on its a shame they didnt do that as standard like on the nissan primera!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Very tidy

The insignia has similar flaps in the rear side wells of the boot, I just assume they are something to do with ventilation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra-C

Trim : SRi XP2 Nav

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 2008

Cool mod

The bits you mention on the right hand side, i think they are pressure vents, to stop excessive internal pressure when driving with a window down....and blowing the rear or side windows out. Had them in my Clio and that was th explanation I was given.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Someones been busy but well worth the effort.

So does the CD70 Navi unit come with AV inputs then, just that i have seen so many links to videos showing them playing either camera views or tv/dvd picture...And is it as easy as plug and play?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information