Thread: when to fill the car up??????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default when to fill the car up??????

evening all just to get your opinion really i drive a 3litre v6 and when it comes to fuel im a tight wadd lol i want your help really just i h8t putting say £40-50 in the car so i just put £10 in here and there and a £10 gets me about 70miles on my dash that gets me about 3days of running around would i get more say if i bited the bullet and put £50 to get it full then only let it get half full and keep toping it up would i get better mpg?? i also noticed onece passed half way it shoots down lol

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Personally I think you're being ridiculous as you're going to use the fuel regardless of whether the tank is full or not, so you might as well top it up every time you go to the station as it'll cost you the same either way in the long run and you son't have to fill up every few days...

You could argue that running around with less fuel makes the car lighter and so gets you better mpg, but seeing as a 60 litre tank of deisel will weigh about 48kgs it's like carrying around a small child - which in a car that weighs over a ton and a half isn't really going to make a huge difference...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold101 View Post
    Personally I think you're being ridiculous as you're going to use the fuel regardless of whether the tank is full or not, so you might as well top it up every time you go to the station as it'll cost you the same either way in the long run and you son't have to fill up every few days...

You could argue that running around with less fuel makes the car lighter and so gets you better mpg, but seeing as a 60 litre tank of deisel will weigh about 48kgs it's like carrying around a small child - which in a car that weighs over a ton and a half isn't really going to make a huge difference...

Personally I think you're being ridiculous as you're going to use the fuel regardless of whether the tank is full or not, ????????? hmmmm

hmmm just i have noticed when it passes half way my needle seems too shoot down.... also if i put say £20 in which should get me say 6days worth as £10 gets me 3days the £20 gets me 7 or 8 days so i was just trying to establish whether i should just fill up more in the first place

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi (VXR Styling)

Engine : Z19DTH (Re-mapped)

Year : 04

Mileage : 140k

But what about all that weight saved with only half a tank, it'll shave 3 tenths off your trip to work Penfold...

I just put £20 in every sunday, never need any more or less and never dips under a quarter... I dont think it matters personally...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The fuel tank isn't a square shape, nor is the gauge accurate mate. Just because the needle is on half a tank, doesn't mean the tank is half full. Mine does the same - I can get about 300 miles from the first half of the gauge, but only 200 from the second half. just fill her up to the top and your engine will probably be happier, as it's using fresh fuel and not the sludge which forms at the bottom of the tank - whether you buy it in one big lump some or put a little in every few days you do the same mileage regardless mate...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by leemarksmith View Post
    But what about all that weight saved with only half a tank, it'll shave 3 tenths off your trip to work Penfold...
    My trip to work is 3/4 of a mile - so I cycle...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

I'm disabled and can't chance running out of fuel, so I tend to keep as much fuel in mine as I can - besides, the way fuel prices are going, putting such small amount in, you're likely to find it's gone up next time, and by then you have no choice but pay as you don't have enough left to wait

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

can it damaged anything cos i know i shouldnt but i sometimes w8t till my light comes on the refill another £10 also when you have filled your car again do you hooof it to clear the tubes sort of speak

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjpuk View Post
    can it damaged anything cos i know i shouldnt but i sometimes w8t till my light comes on the refill another £10 also when you have filled your car again do you hooof it to clear the tubes sort of speak
    It won't damage anything as such, but anything floating around the bottom of the tank is more likely to get drawn in to the fuel lines which gets dredged up with the rest of the fuel.

I usually boot my car any chance i get when it's warm - motorway slip roads or overtaking is my favourite to give it some beans and keep her loosened up...

I've also just started using a small amount of 2-stroke motorcycle oil every second tank to help keep the fuel pump lubricated as fuel contains less sulpher these days which used to do that... that advice came from an expert on the engine apparently...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

my cars just gone over 14k iv herd about that red x stuff would i benifit from it or does that really work on cars with more miles on also if i drive carefully does the cars computer adjust to me going this carefully ..... and does it in a sense make it less responsive ...... and if i raged her nerly every where would the computer change and make it more responsive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information