0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.9 cdti SRI & 2.6 Vec B & Mk1 Fiesta XR2

Trim : 2 batteries. 2k RMS. 2x 15 SPL's

Engine : CDTI 200 16V

Default Insurance write off categories - The meaning

Reading a few posts on here and seems loads of people dont actually understand the insurance classes.

May be a good idea to get a post running that can clear them up.

This is my take below. Please update if incorrect or you have additional info.

Cat A is for burn outs and gutted vehicles. Only value is in the weight at a metal recyclers.

Cat B is where the vehicle is no longer safe to put back on the road and must be broken or crushed. These can only be sold to registered dismantlers with an EPA waste license. They are actually sold as parts and are no longer considered as a vehicle. There is no economic consideration involved, purely a safety one. Vehicles that have been flooded are normally written off as a cat B.

Cat C is where the car is repairable but is not economic to do so. Think older cars and or ones where the chassis needs jigging.

Cat D is where the vehicle is repairable and would be economic to do so (cost of salvage + cost of repairs < % Pre accident value) but the insurance company has decided not to repair the vehicle. This could be due to excessive storage or recovery costs, hire car cost totals etc. Most cars will be cat d'ed if the cost of the fix/hire car/storage/recovery approaches 50% of the cars retail value.

So in terms of a 4k car with cat d its most likely something like a bumper and 2 headlights will cause it to get that classification. My mates £1.5k vectra b got a cat d'ed for a door. He bought it back for £600 notes and paid £40 for a door. Cat d's can be good value as long as you know what has happened to it. See plently of pics before and check it over well when looking at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I Have bought and sold plenty of cat C cars.
    The damage varies really depending on the age of the vehicle.
    Had a 2004 focus that needed a front end. (bonnet, bumper, wings, headlights and slam panel) and a Peugeot 406 that had been rear ended and the bumper was pushed in i just put my hand behind the bumper and it pushed back out. Basically i got a Y plate 406 with 80k on the clock for £200.
    Also cat D cars don't need a vehicle identity check (VIC) but cat C's do.
    People are afraid to buy them but if the car is repaired properly it is a great buy.
    Who knows if there car has been in an accident before but was insurance repaired. It can be done so well you would never know.
    It seems crazy that people wont buy a car that has been accident repaired but are happy to buy a car not knowing if it has been in an accident or not. Just because it has been categorized does not mean its dangerous.

Insurance companys will cat C write off a car if it costs more than 60% of the value of the car to fix so they are not always total write offs. They have to factor in the cost of hire cars etc which is what sends cars over the 60% bracket.
    I saw a saab 93 with a dented passenger door and wing Both repairable sell for £1800.
    Thats a £3300 car. It would cost about £350 to repair it.
    Last edited by crespo; 16th April 2010 at 14:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Nice one mate, good thread

Thread Information