User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to reduce your Car Tax, legally

  1. #1
    Regular Member merikiito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northampton
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

    Trim : SRi

    Engine : A20DTH

    Year : 2009

    Mileage : 88000

    Default How to reduce your Car Tax, legally

    This is the story so far:

    We have a Astra Bertone Coupe MK4 G 2001.
    This car used to have a 2.2SE petrol engine fitted
    It now has a 2.0DTi engine fitted taken from a Astra MK4 2001 (we think this is the only Coupe in the UK which has had this done).

    DVLA changed the fuel and engine number on the V5 but not the CO2

    2.2SE 202 G/KM
    2.0TDi 154 G/KM

    The result is I am paying higher car tax based on the old engines CO2.

    So I go into my local DVLA office to get the CO2 changed, simples as the meerkat would say.

    No not simples, say the DVLA, the orginal CO2 reading will say with the car even tho you haved changed the engine.

    So what does this mean???

    Well from what I can work out you can go and get a Corsa 1.3CDTi which is £35 tax a year and shove in a 3.0L V6 Diesel or Petrol and only pay £35 car tax. The DVLA would neither confirm or deny you could do this.
    (the above only applies to cars registered on or after 2001 as thats when they started doing Tax based on CO2)

    So thats how you can reduce your Car Tax,simples!

    The local DVLA have forwarded my request to head office but they are sure nothing can be done but they may as well try.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Worcs/Staffs/Westmids (ish)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    It sounds as though your being fobbed off, they're well known for being unorganised money grabbing swines.

    I wonder what they'd say though if I told them I was swapping in a V6 to replace my 1.8, I strongly suspect they'd tell me my tax will go up....


    But, you could always post this on Martin Lewis's Money saving expert forum.

    Search engines check that forum each day and within weeks this "idea" will be viewed by millions of people, the DVLA will have to get off their fat arse's when that happens.
    Last edited by Birchy63; 13th April 2010 at 16:27.

  3. #3
    Ex-Staff Full Member John LE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Forfar, Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

    Trim : LE/VXR

    Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

    Year : 13/07

    Default

    The reason for this would be that although you have changed the engine, as there were no Astra coupe diesels there are no CO2 emission records for such a car.

    CO2 levels are not just what the engine puts out stationary it's what it puts out over a kilometer, example being a 2.0 dti engine in and astra may put out 154g/km but if you were to put that same engine into a vectra the extra weight would cause the car to burn more fuel over that kilometer thus the CO2 emissions would be higher.

  4. #4
    Regular Member merikiito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northampton
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

    Trim : SRi

    Engine : A20DTH

    Year : 2009

    Mileage : 88000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john.robertson2 View Post
    The reason for this would be that although you have changed the engine, as there were no Astra coupe diesels there are no CO2 emission records for such a car.

    CO2 levels are not just what the engine puts out stationary it's what it puts out over a kilometer, example being a 2.0 dti engine in and astra may put out 154g/km but if you were to put that same engine into a vectra the extra weight would cause the car to burn more fuel over that kilometer thus the CO2 emissions would be higher.
    The CO2 on the Astra Coupe would be lower then as its weighs less than the Astra Hatchback (no big glass hatch on the back). DVLA say that the CO2 will not be changed regardless of the engine installed or what car it came out of so what you say is not relevant if you want to save money!
    Last edited by merikiito; 13th April 2010 at 16:34.

  5. #5
    Regular Member merikiito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northampton
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

    Trim : SRi

    Engine : A20DTH

    Year : 2009

    Mileage : 88000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birchy63 View Post
    It sounds as though your being fobbed off, they're well known for being unorganised money grabbing swines.

    I wonder what they'd say though if I told them I was swapping in a V6 to replace my 1.8, I strongly suspect they'd tell me my tax will go up....


    But, you could always post this on Martin Lewis's Money saving expert forum.

    Search engines check that forum each day and within weeks this "idea" will be viewed by millions of people, the DVLA will have to get off their fat arse's when that happens.
    Done

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...5#post31822215

  6. #6
    Regular Member danBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northampton
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    They did use the 2.2 DTI in the Astra Coupe just not here in the UK.

    If I still rip out my 1.8 for something different I still pay the 1.8's tax which isn't that bad

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North west
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    you would need a good few years car tax saving to pay for an engine swap if your intention is to save money.

  8. #8
    Regular Member merikiito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northampton
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

    Trim : SRi

    Engine : A20DTH

    Year : 2009

    Mileage : 88000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danBoy View Post
    They did use the 2.2 DTI in the Astra Coupe just not here in the UK.

    If I still rip out my 1.8 for something different I still pay the 1.8's tax which isn't that bad
    I thought of u and your VXR engine!

  9. #9
    Regular Member RobW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tain - Easter Ross
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    As has been said, it would take a lot of years to compensate for the cost of the engine swap!

    Would love to see a Corsa D with a 2.8 V6!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. do k&n cone filters reduce mpg
    By nelly452 in forum Vectra C / Signum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21st September 2011, 16:57
  2. Where do i stand legally?
    By Innocence in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 30th June 2011, 19:30
  3. how to reduce picture size?
    By ronnie63 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th February 2009, 18:29
  4. where do I stand legally
    By astratovectra in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14th March 2008, 11:06

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •