User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't want to drive any more....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Don't want to drive any more....

Guys, I've been having a run of bad luck recently... Nearly 7 near misses in the past 5 weeks.

This is people pulling out in front of me, cutting me up, etc etc... as well as having to deal with and tolerate people who cannot drive or keep pace with the traffic flow.
    I missed a new Civic by inches last night as he pulled out across me on a traffic island, the cars behind nearly then ploughed into me.

I even had one woman who thought she could accuse me of hitting her car when she failed her attempt at "clutch control" and rolled back into me, no damage at all, but if not for a passer by/witness she was trying to extort my details out of me for an "injuries" claim.

I feel as though every time I get in my car, im on edge, im expecting something stupid to happen from any angle and the stress of dealing with that just makes me want to leave the car at home.
    The fun has gone from driving, it's been replaced by stress and in some circumstances fear for the safety of both my passengers and myself.

I've got my Kitcar is the garage and quite frankly I feel like popping it up on Ebay and getting rid of it.

I know it's just a run of bad luck, but im really struggling to get my head around it.....

spoons

Ok, sounds to me like your losing your confidence a little bit.

I would strongly recommend you talk with your local Institute of Advanced Motorists. Knowledge will give you confidence.

They have volunteer groups which I beleive will come out with you and assess your driving. The reason why this would be useful is they can give you tips on planning ahead and creating space for other peoples mistakes.

I know its everyone else on the road who are bad drivers, but I can honestly say it will help you spot them in time to take remedial action, well before you get into trouble with them.

All the points you listed can be dealt with, and you might enjoy it as they are very enthusiastic about driving

Hope that helps

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks, I wouldn't say i'd lost confidence. I'd just like to be able to relax behind the wheel again. Maybe it's bad luck or maybe the standards of driving have degenerated this far.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I know exactly what you are saying birchy, I feel exactly the same and have had a few near scrapes recently too due to bad drivers, it seems absolutely anyone is getting a license despite driving ability. I'm also beginning to believe indicators are only optional extras now that nobody wants coz the amount of people I see not indicating changing lanes, at junctions, when pulling up etc is untrue. Is it really that much effort?? Either way I've had enough of driving aswell so know the feeling mate!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Adz86 View Post
    it seems absolutely anyone is getting a license despite driving ability
    No guarantee they have a license these days

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra GSi 3.2 V6

Trim : GSi

Engine : Z32SE

Year : 2003

Mileage : 212,060

Go for a drive early one morning on a weekend. Any time before about 9am is fine. Head out on a nice road that you know quite well.

Enjoy the relative lack of traffic. Try to get back to basics and relish the feel of the car, its controls and responses. Aim for the smoothest drive that you can muster. Keep your speed down a couple of mph lower than usual and anticipate ahead, where you can. Keep your distance and allow that person to pull out in front of you from that side road.

The reason for all this hippy ranting? I have had some early morning drives lately that have helped to restore my faith in my own driving and they have served to assure me that other drivers' behaviour is not personal; they are merely reacting to the same overcrowding and lack of manners and common decency around them that everyone else is.

The IAM idea is a good one too. RoSPA have 'defensive driving' courses as well, as do others, I think. I would like to find the time and money myself one day for something like that.

I know that my driving is not the best. That is okay with me. But speaking personally, by doing what I describe above, I have regained much of my confidence and the sheer joy of driving once again.

Sorry for the hippy raving...

Paul
    2003 Vauxhall Vectra GSi 3.2 V6

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Avoid Bradford! People up here dont bother with licences lol and if they do it seems like they get them from kellogs boxes lol

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

And avoid Manchester the past 3 time I have been there its like none of them have any skills with driving at all just pull out on you when they feel like.

But Do as GSIfan says mate

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

might be worth doing an advanced course mate - you will be given good training and it will help reinforce your lost confidence

simple things like when you pull up behind a car make sure you can still see the tyres on the road - which means when they start to coast backwards you have options available - HORN which will make people look (good for insurance scammers) and make the other driver aware

it will also teach you to look for escape routes whilst driving = defensive driving at junctions etc -- good value and will hopefully get you a reduction on your insurance

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

I find the same there's a lot of bad drivers out there trying to be chancers with other car drivers, when i used to drive the frontera funny i never got that problem!.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information