User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for advice on buying a Signum...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Looking for advice on buying a Signum...

Hi all and regards on a great forum. I'm hoping some of the Signum (and Vectra) owners can offer me some advice as I'm considering re-entering Vauxhall ownership after a gap of some years. My last was the Calibra!

I love the idea of the Signum and picking up a great one for under 10K seems easy. I only do around 6k miles a year and I want a really nice one as it will be my daily drive. Would also like some performance as I'm replacing a Golf Gti, albeit an old one. Not expecting quite the same handling but in terms of comfort I think it will be great.

So could I ask-
    - What engines would people suggest? I'm thinking of the 1.9 CDTI or the 2.2 petrol maybe?

- What 'extras' should I really look out for that make the difference?

- Looking forward to having satnav built in, but is it any good?

- Can the indictors be modified in any way, as they seem slightly annoying when I've tried to cancel them?

I know there are some recalls and would obviously take it straight down to the dealers too, to be checked out.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What, nobody has an opinion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

For what your looking to spend you'll easily find something, I would recommend you try a 2.0T pertrol and a 2.8T petrol, with your mileage you shouldn't find the fule cost too excessive. Bear in-mind that you'll pay a premium for a diesel which you won't recove in fuel costs, you may recoup fomr of the premium you paid when you sell on though.

The design and Elite spec's are the two to look for; design has half leather, lowered suspension and visiblt exhaust tailpipes. Elite generally has all the toys but its alittle but highes and has hidden exhaust tips. You can add the Design look to a Elist fairly cheeply with lowering springs and new rear bumper skirt and a couple of back boxes.
    The 2.8T is available in manual on the Design spec but only Auto on the Elite, may be worth bearing in mind.
    The 2.8T is essentially the same engine as the VXR vectra but de-tuned. You can always get it remapped upto VXR 'standard' power!

Regarding indicators you will get used to them, once you've done a few hundred miles they are easy to use and almost 'make sense', its the getting used to them that leaves you wanting to rip the wiper stalk out of the steering wheel.

You should find all Signums are well spec'd compared to Vectra's. Even the design has more toys than you'd expect as standard.

Basically try as many different engines as you can and see what suits, the 2.0T is a cracking engine but may leave you wanting a little more power, this can be achieved by a remap (BSR,EDS, loads of others) for anywhere fomr £250-£550, which when you consider takes the power from 175 to 220+ (for later 2.0T models) aint a bad deal.

Best of luck finding something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks, I think it'll be cheaper to buy the petrol too as I won't get the money back on fuel savings with the diesel unless I do big miles.

Didn't know about the lowered suspension, though. How different is the ride?

Would a 2.0T with a remap still fall into the lower tax band, I wonder!

They do seem very well specced cars. How good is the satnav?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ive had both the 2.8T and the 2.0T. If you want something with decent performance go for the 2.8 everytime. They are thirsty though but if you;re doing few miles this shouldn't matter too much. I had the design in both variants, better screwed together than a vec and ****** good cars tbh. Sat nav's decent just get an up to date disk off ebay and away you go. Good luck finding something, with your budget it shouldn't be too hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Engine wise as posted previously the 2.0T and 2.8T are excellent, I have the 3.2 v6, which is also worth considering.

Very smooth engine, with plenty of power if you need it.
    Not too bad on fuel either.
    Also the auto gearboxes are good once your used to them, mine has a triptronic mode where you decide when to change gear, for if your in the mood for some fun!

Spec wise, if you like all the toys Elite is the way ahead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have to agree with a lot of the above, I've got a 2.0T Signum Design and the toys are wonderful, although you do get a few more if you go for the Elite version, however you sacrifice the sports seats and sports suspension.

Toys-wise, the CD70 Navi is probably the best, and if you get a later one it will have the option of modifying a line-in for your ipod/whatever. The half-leather sports seats are quite figure hugging, but you might want to opt for the full-leather ones from the elite, as they are heated, which is fantastic on cold winter mornings. Try to get AFL Xenon lights and also make sure you've got the sight and light pack, which gives you rain-sensitive wipers and headlights that turn on when it's dark, the rain sensor also does one other great thing- if you leave the car locked with the windows down and it starts raining, the sensor will shut the windows. If you can you should also go for the climate control aircon rather than just standard aircon, as if you can find your perfect temperature, then you can just set the thermostat to it and never have to touch it again.

I would recommend giving the 2.0T a drive, the 2.8T a drive and the 3.0 V6 Diesel a drive. The 2.0T can do a fairly good mileage if you keep your foot light, in fact I think I managed to get a slightly better mileage out of it than I did out of my 1.8 Vectra, and it is also very unlikely to have much go wrong with it. The 2.8T will be the quickest and the best, but you'll pay for it at the pumps. The 3.0 V6 Diesel has similar performance to the 2.0T petrol, but it will sound much nicer, and be better MPG.

Colour SatNav screen is about 85% as good as leading brand TomToms are, it's let down by not displaying some of the things you want on the main screen- like destination time, and there's no speed camera alerts, but it does everything else just as well, and infact, the POI's are better on the vaux one than the tomtom!

To be honest after getting used to them, I prefer these type of indicators to any other- 3 clicks is the perfect timing for changing lanes on the motorway, and vauxhall probably knew this when they designed it, considering that's where a large portion of the vectras/signums would spend their time.

Recalls wise, I don't think there'll be anything other than the handbrake, and that might have been done already anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks guys, that really covers a lot. I've got to go and drive a few now to see. I do like the Elite with all the toys, and heated seats are a must for me as I have very early starts in winter. I was really impressed with the space and kit for the money, not much else around at the £8-10K level like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

just a quick one to help you with the indicators.... dont cancel in the opposite direction. just press it down or up again. far easier and something i only worked out 2 weeks ago after 3 months of ownership!

i love my elite and its a great drive

Thread Information