StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Carrying fuel cans

Hi all.

I'd like to pick you're collective conciousness and welcome your opinions on the following....

Is it legal / safe / right / etc to carry approved 5 litre jerry can in a car?

I only ask as a friend of mine does this.. He always has a full can of unleaded in the boot..

I have noticed the smell of fuel inside the car, would this be enough to affect his driving or that of his passengers?

What would be the effect if, God forbid, he ever had a serious smash?

The container is an approved green 5 ltr can.

I personally wouldn't, I'd put the fuel into the tank and forget about it. Quite why he does this, I have no idea.. He's in his 50's and drives a Rover - so maybe it's some throwback from his youth.

I'd welcome all your opinions on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i fill a can once a year for the lawn mower and it stinks all the way back and a few days later, would'nt carry it all the time, in this day of 24 hour garages its not needed, is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some people like the reasurance of the tank in the boot just incase

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are no limits on the amount of diesel a private individual can carry in their vehicle, but the following is for petrol:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petroleum/faqs.htm

"The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garage or within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres or two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself.
    Anyone who wishes to store larger quantities than this, or use larger containers, is required to notify the local Petroleum Licensing Authority (PLA) and to store the petrol in a prescribed manner set out in the 1929 Regulations mentioned above - enquirers who want further details should contact their local PLA. Storage of more than 275 litres (60 gallons) of petrol requires a petrol licence - again, contact the local PLA."

Your local PLA will be at your Trading Standards department, pretty much everywhere except in Norfolk, where its the Fire Service. This law is enforced by the PLA with TS, the Police, HMRC and VOSA.

Last edited by BoroDave74; 3rd April 2010 at 07:21. Reason: spelling mistake, d'oh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As above, the limit is :
    two plastic containers, each with a capacity of up to five litres (ie total up to ten litres)
    or
    two metal containers, each with a capacity of up to ten litres (ie total up to twenty litres)

However, you can apply to the local Petroleum Officer for exemption
    An example of this was a company in Aberdeen which was permitted to fill up to ten metal containers, each with a capacity of up to twenty five litres (ie 250 litres in total)
    The petrol station was sent a letter of authority, which was renewed every year

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm - always wondered where I stood with the boat fuel tank - 25 litres. Some garages get funny about me filling it, and then taking it straight back to the boat. If the above is all the rules, then transporting it, I'm OK as long as the garage are happy and I carry an extinguisher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you live in the wilds of Scotland & drive a car with a tiny fuel tank I don't know why anyone would want the security of carrying a jerry can these days. Given the size of modern fuel tanks & the number of filling station it seems an unnecessary danger!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It used to be a requirement to carry fuel when I was based in Germany - I think you can still be fined for running out of fuel on the autobahn. You' just have to be careful if you usually carry it when you go on eurotunnel or ferries which I think don't allow it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vxvirgin View Post
    It used to be a requirement to carry fuel when I was based in Germany - I think you can still be fined for running out of fuel on the autobahn. You' just have to be careful if you usually carry it when you go on eurotunnel or ferries which I think don't allow it.
    Its still a requirement... well its not.. but if you run out of fuel you will get a fine... (also if you dont have a warning triagle and orange vest).

and in the eurotunnel its actually allowd. it nearly allways have 5L in the boot.. not as much for every day.. but when ever i plan on going abit longer than normal.. then its with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JagRigger View Post
    Hmmm - always wondered where I stood with the boat fuel tank - 25 litres. Some garages get funny about me filling it, and then taking it straight back to the boat. If the above is all the rules, then transporting it, I'm OK as long as the garage are happy and I carry an extinguisher.
    The petrol station should refuse, unless a local Petroleum Licence condition applies allowing a metal container of 25 litres
    The holder of the licence should refer you to the local Petroleum Licence Officer (at the local authority, often within Trading Standards)
    It is really easy to obtain a temporary approval, this allows you to fill larger containers upon request and on providing the permission letter
    Once the petrol station know you are going to fill up regularly they will often take a copy, receive their own copy from the PLO, or know you!

I remember refusing a Fire Officer to fill up some 25 litre cans, "you should know better"
    Came back an hour later with a letter of approval

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information