User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I'm confued.com and need your help!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default I'm confued.com and need your help!

Hi guys. I am currently the owner of a shiney red Mazda RX8 and love it to bits but the MPG is very bad and its time for me to grow up and get a 'proper car' with a 'proper engine'.

I'm 99% sold on a vectra due to value for money and I quite like the look of the SRI if i'm honest.

I was pretty much sold on the 1.9 cdti 150 bhp until I saw how much cheaper the 1.8vvt's were in comparison. I was then amazed to see that the official MPG figures are only about 10mpg less than those of the oil burner.

So, I only do about 10k miles a year so would struggle to get my money back by paying a premium on the diesel, although the car will hold alot of that extra cost upon resale.

I do reletively economical journies when there are no other cars on the road and sit at a happy 60-70 mph for about 15 miles to and from work so believe I could get good MPG out of the 1.8vvt

From doing my research the 1.8vvt seems to have less problems than the 1.9cdti from what I can see??

I have no doubt the 150 is a better drive due to the increaed torque and would give me getter mpg but do I really want to pay the premium for it, especially if I am more likely to have more engine trouble.

Feel free to try and sway me either way,especially if you have experience with both cars. Are there any other advantages or disadvatages over one to the other such as service costs and intervals etc.

Any help is much appreciated.

Nick

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Why not have a look at the 120 cdti, It should impress you as much as the 1.8 but give far better MPG figures. They also appear to be more reliable imo

At least with a diesel if you get fed up you get good results with a re-map

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

mmm, food for thought I supose, I think I really should give all 3 a drive to get an idea but I need to find a dealer happy to let me test drive all 3 back to back for a fair comparison. However, if I get the 120 I think I'll always regret not getting the 150 as they're no difference in fuel economy but I read a big difference in every day driving performance.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Nick

I would imagine the RX8 is a four seater? The Signum is simular all be it a four and a half seater, but has longer rear leg room than the vectra.
    Also the Signums have more goodies as standard, Sat nav for instance in every model.
    I have the cdti 150 bhp siggy design remapped to 185 bhp. My mate has the 2.2i petrol elegance siggy. whilst his is a good reliable motor its not a patch on mine for performance or fuel economy. Forsake a potential risk in reliabilty for an extra bit of power/fun.

A chipped up CDTI will make you smile every day, a breakdown makes you sad once in a while.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

At worst all around town driving I am getting 28mpg from the 1.8vvt combined I get 36mpg long motorway drives I get 39+mpg.

I think with your type of driving you should get 36mpg ish.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    Hi Nick

I would imagine the RX8 is a four seater? The Signum is simular all be it a four and a half seater, but has longer rear leg room than the vectra.
    Also the Signums have more goodies as standard, Sat nav for instance in every model.
    I have the cdti 150 bhp siggy design remapped to 185 bhp. My mate has the 2.2i petrol elegance siggy. whilst his is a good reliable motor its not a patch on mine for performance or fuel economy. Forsake a potential risk in reliabilty for an extra bit of power/fun.

A chipped up CDTI will make you smile every day, a breakdown makes you sad once in a while.
    the signum has satnav standard in every model? seems a bit too good to be true to me.
    i believe the rx8 is a 2+2 . great for kids in the back but not much leg room for fully grown adults

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    the signum has satnav standard in every model? seems a bit too good to be true to me.
    Defo on the face lift models.
    I`m sure someone on here will confirm about the pre facelift ones.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

Could depend on how new a car you want, my CDTi 150 was bought through Motobility and the dealer said there were no Signums (or Omegas) that would fit their age/mileage rules.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The age is whats putting me off the signum. I want one which has got at least the best part of a years warranty left i.e max 2 years old and the signums are getting very close to being at the youngest 3 years old, plus they are like rocking horse poo poo in comparison to a vectra which is keeping premiums high as a result so they dont seem as much of a bargain. There are plenty of vectra's with the nav though as I think it was only a 500 quid option from new. Whilst on the sat nav subject do they do anything else such as dvd, dab radio or anything else above just the nav? plus how good is the nav compared to say a tom tom, can you do full post code entries for example?

Thread Information