0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW e92 335d

Trim : M Sport

Engine : 3.0 TT

Year : 2008

Default Review of EDS Remap on CDTi 150

This is a follow on from this thread

Just to clarify, this is the 200bhp with EGR disabled map, from EDS. It's a relatively new map from EDS and apparently not all ecu's can take the 200 map, I think that might be the older ones, in that case it would be the 190bhp version. After it was checked, I was chuffed to discover that mine would be compatible. Game on!

First things first, the car was strapped to the rolling road and a standard run was carried out. The only mods on the car were the airbox mod and a BMC panel filter (similar to K&N), I had the manifold replaced 4 weeks ago and the car in running on V-Power diesel. With all this in mind I was hopeful of a good standard output...the result: 163bhp @ 3800 and 259 lbft @ 2900!! You could say I was somewhat pleased with that!

So then it was time to do make it faster! After downloading the car's standard map into some handheld device, some computery wizardry was carried out on a computer and the new map written back to the car. The process took about 30 mins in all.

The car was run up to speed on the rollers (part of the process), and where did all that black smoke come from! Quite normal apparently, sometimes when they run a diesel just after its been mapped they can't see the car for the smoke from the first run...anyway, apparently mine wasn't bad at all.

The power run was attempted and O.M.G...I could see the difference (as well as hear it!)...the car squirmed on the rollers bigtime and Ian reported having to keep a good grip on the wheel! Knowing what to expect, another run was carried out uneventfully and you can see the results for yourself...

So what is it like on the road...? Initially, I treated her like a barely tamed beast, and was a little disappointed to find her still as domesticated. However, once I had just got on with the job of driving up north I started to notice the difference...

Sitting just shy of 80 and in sixth gear, a small prod of the go-pedal and I was shocked to find an extra 30 appearing in a few heartbeats! Needless to say, I returned rapidly to a normal speed and resolved not to do that again as I value my licence! I did notice that my economy had risen a bit, I'm quite sensitive to the mpg reading and I was getting better economy cruising at 5mph faster than I usually do...anyway the rest of my motorway trek to Glasgow was spent cruising against gale-force headwinds, yet I still managed a reasonable average mpg - 48 I think.

The trip up the A9 today allowed for a more thorough trip drive with far more varied driving conditions. A lot of traffic sitting @ 35-50 (?!) in good road conditions = lots of overtaking The first time I had a proper overtaking opportunity - 5 cars in a line sitting about 45-50 so I changed down to 4th for a blast past, empty road oncoming, foot down and pulled out... O.M.F.G....the torque surged and the tyres snatched over the white lines, throwing me into the right lane...the car catapulted past the first car like a scalded cat and the next four cars went past in a blur. By the time I pulled in ( by that I mean thrown back into the lane by tyres/white line/torque madness), I was nearing the end of 4th gear and my licence! Incredible. In normal driving around town you can feel the eagerness of the engine, you know that a wee prod on the laughing-gas pedal will launch the car with a instant urgency. Throttle response has increased dramatically, turbo response too has improved no end - you can actually hear the turbo from about 1100 rpm and feel it working from about 1400. Steering response has been sharpened too apparently, it's part of the map and it does feel good too. Purposeful.

What I will say though is that is does make a bit of smoke, when you give it full beans that is. It's not bad, just a wee bit of smoke to let those you've left behind know that your Veccy is most definately chipped. lol

Bottom line: the power of this car is simply amazing now. Intoxicating. Addictive. Corrupting... If you're toying with getting it done I can wholeheartedly recommend it - just watch your licence!

Big thanks to Ian @ MPG for sorting it all for me - top bloke.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

VERY nice mate, can't wait to get mine on the car! Still having problems... everytime I map with the IPF it fails, red light...

Then recover the car back to standard using another map and wait for their German engineer to come back with something else.

Hoping mine is going to be as good as yours but maybe mine can't take the 200bhp one or something even though it's a 57 plate!

Oh well, glad you're happy mate and I hope to join the club in the not too distant future!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sweet... Good result there mate... & good read

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My car is a 56 plate Auto with a DPF and it took the Remap with no problems infact I have various options available to me as I have the handheld device.
    150 std
    190 with egr
    190 without egr
    200 with egr
    200 without egr

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

superb results and great write up mate, i bet it really is superb to drive now!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

Oh and yeah she's great to drive now, any excuse in fact!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What sort of price would i be looking at to get it done on a 1.9cdti with EGR still in place and what sort of gains could i expect.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What sorta price is this map?

And where were you heading when coming up the A9?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by stuart813 View Post
    What sort of price would i be looking at to get it done on a 1.9cdti with EGR still in place and what sort of gains could i expect.

The map is £480 all in and I got mine from MidPoint Garage, in Middlewich. You can have the map with EGR still enabled no problem, I chose to have it disabled for a cleaner intake and improved turbo response.

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    ...And where were you heading when coming up the A9?

On my way back to see the family in Forres for Easter. They will move down in May so I won't need to make the trek after that.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ah. Bets you had fun on the A95 too then!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information